Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Direction Was Polly Travelling When She Was Killed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
    You'll notice that Deb's tax record shows a house and yard at no. 9 occupied by someone named J E Hartshorne. The directory Simon posted shows a building supplies dealer named Jane Eliza Hartshorne at that address.

    That's most likely where the materials from the large (much larger than Browns) stables were being stored.

    I agree that seems the most lilely possibility. I plan to link to this actual thread, it gives great insight into very serious if no earth shattering research.


    Steve

    Comment


    • Going off at a tangent, I notice the name Harwood on the tax record. There was someone of that surname who owned properties in Dorset Street and Little Paternoster Row which were later owned by Ann McCarthy. Different forename, though.

      And some more trivia: I believe the registrar who signed Polly Nichols' death cert, John Hall, was the 'horse coroner' who was supposed to inspect the animals killed at HB's Winthrop Street yard.

      Apologies for the diversion.
      Last edited by MrBarnett; 10-21-2018, 07:02 AM.

      Comment


      • No. 9 Winthrop Street.

        Click image for larger version

Name:	9 WINTHROP STREET.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	667584

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
          No. 9 Winthrop Street.

          [ATTACH]18868[/ATTACH]
          I wonder what was kept in the large building behind no. 9 with BUILDER emblazoned across it? I think I have a photo of no. 9 somewhere. I'll try to dig it out.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
            I wonder what was kept in the large building behind no. 9 with BUILDER emblazoned across it? I think I have a photo of no. 9 somewhere. I'll try to dig it out.
            Post 46, here:

            http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....ner#post269927

            Comment


            • Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
              I wonder what was kept in the large building behind no. 9 with BUILDER emblazoned across it? I think I have a photo of no. 9 somewhere. I'll try to dig it out.
              And the open courtyard to the east of it, with building labled coach house?

              Steve

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                And the open courtyard to the east of it, with building labled coach house?

                Steve
                That was presumably accessed from the Whitechapel Road.

                That little corner of Whitechapel was always somewhat horsey, I believe - stables, horse dealers, knackers etc. HB was there because William Monk had been there before and bequeathed his business to William Barber, the father of Alfred who hooked up with John Harrison to create the horse-slaughtering monopoly of HB.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                  That was presumably accessed from the Whitechapel Road.

                  That little corner of Whitechapel was always somewhat horsey, I believe - stables, horse dealers, knackers etc. HB was there because William Monk had been there before and bequeathed his business to William Barber, the father of Alfred who hooked up with John Harrison to create the horse-slaughtering monopoly of HB.
                  Looking at Goad and OS, both 73 and 93-95 looks like access from Brady


                  steve

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                    Looking at Goad and OS, both 73 and 93-95 looks like access from Brady


                    steve
                    I was being lazy, Steve, just going on the cropped imaged posted by Simon. Of course, you're right. There is an archway from Brady Street into the coach house yard. Plenty of such premises in the area, including ones that would have required the amount and type of building materials listed in the advert.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                      You'll notice that Deb's tax record shows a house and yard at no. 9 occupied by someone named J E Hartshorne. The directory Simon posted shows a building supplies dealer named Jane Eliza Hartshorne at that address.

                      That's most likely where the materials from the large (much larger than Browns) stables were being stored.
                      Glad it was a little help x
                      ,,`,, Debs ,,`,,

                      I am not DJA. He's called Dave.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                        I was being lazy, Steve, just going on the cropped imaged posted by Simon. Of course, you're right. There is an archway from Brady Street into the coach house yard. Plenty of such premises in the area, including ones that would have required the amount and type of building materials listed in the advert.

                        Yes, and with a coach house, there may have been a clock.

                        Fascinating stuff, unfortunatly still no real evidence of exit from Winthrop to Brown's Yard, still you can't have everything Gary


                        Steve

                        Comment


                        • Didn't Simon's post say that the auction was to take place "on the premesis" in Buck's Row, rather than Winthrop Street?
                          As the Goad map showing the Winthrop St courtyard and coach house is from 1890 it's presumably not the one that was cleared by the auction.
                          Last edited by Joshua Rogan; 10-21-2018, 02:45 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Debra A View Post
                            Glad it was a little help x
                            Every little helps, as the little boy said...

                            👍

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                              Yes, and with a coach house, there may have been a clock.

                              Fascinating stuff, unfortunatly still no real evidence of exit from Winthrop to Brown's Yard, still you can't have everything Gary


                              Steve
                              No, indeed. To me the maps suggest two separate premises. And I ask myself, if you have a main entrance on Bucks Row, why do you need a back door in Winthrop Street?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                                No, indeed. To me the maps suggest two separate premises. And I ask myself, if you have a main entrance on Bucks Row, why do you need a back door in Winthrop Street?
                                Wouldn't surprise me if the Brown's were still attempting to sell the materials, salvaged from the site where the Working Lads Institute was built several years earlier, from Essex Wharf rather than Winthrop Street.
                                My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X