Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Other "victims"?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Uncle Jack View Post
    PC2267,

    There were some knife attacks, very violent ones in fact, that occurred in Whitechapel, that may have been a build-up to the main Ripper murders. There were also the other murders that you have likely heard of in the series.
    • Emily Horsnell - murdered, Nov 1887
    • Annie Millwood - stabbed and later died, Feb 1888
    • Ada Wilson - throat cut, March 1888 (survived)
    • Emma Smith - murdered, April 1888
    • Malvina Haynes - stabbed, April 1888 (survived)
    • Georgina Green - stabbed, May 1888 (survived)

    How interesting!!! Are we saying here that these women may have been victims of "Jack", but they just didn't know it? Or was their assailant known/apprehended?

    Comment


    • #17
      Malvina Haynes wasn't stabbed though. She was knocked down and violently assaulted, probably left with lasting injuries, but not stabbed.

      http://victorianripper.niceboard.org...tacked-april-2

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Uncle Jack View Post
        PC2267,

        There were some knife attacks, very violent ones in fact, that occurred in Whitechapel, that may have been a build-up to the main Ripper murders. There were also the other murders that you have likely heard of in the series.
        • Emily Horsnell - murdered, Nov 1887
        • Annie Millwood - stabbed and later died, Feb 1888
        • Ada Wilson - throat cut, March 1888 (survived)
        • Emma Smith - murdered, April 1888
        • Malvina Haynes - stabbed, April 1888 (survived)
        • Georgina Green - stabbed, May 1888 (survived)
        Emily Horsnell was attacked 130 years ago today and died November 10. R.I.P.
        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

        Stan Reid

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
          How interesting!!! Are we saying here that these women may have been victims of "Jack", but they just didn't know it? Or was their assailant known/apprehended?
          I think what can be gained by this list Station Cat is the confirmation that there were other men in Whitechapel and surrounds that were capable of, and did commit, violent acts upon women. Often with knives, something relatively easily obtained.

          Its easy to reject the mythological, fog filled, mean streets representation of East London at the time when setting aside childish notions of the top hatted cape wearing sleuth, but I believe that the environment was "unique in the annals of crime", not just some of the acts themselves. Abject poverty, over-population, industrial age abuses of labor, the area was full of angry people, desperate people. That street women were regularly murdered isn't remarkable considering that fact, how some of them were murdered was indeed unique.

          I remember that every time I consider Mary Kelly's circumstances and activities that final night. I believe she was afraid.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Uncle Jack View Post
            PC2267,

            There were some knife attacks, very violent ones in fact, that occurred in Whitechapel, that may have been a build-up to the main Ripper murders. There were also the other murders that you have likely heard of in the series.
            • Emily Horsnell - murdered, Nov 1887
            • Annie Millwood - stabbed and later died, Feb 1888
            • Ada Wilson - throat cut, March 1888 (survived)
            • Emma Smith - murdered, April 1888
            • Malvina Haynes - stabbed, April 1888 (survived)
            • Georgina Green - stabbed, May 1888 (survived)
            out of this list Ive got millwood as probable ripper victim, Wilson as just possible. I don't think the others come even close.

            millwood was attacked very close to where Tabram later would be, and marks a natural progression from a serial killers clumsy first attempts to a mature and efficient MO.
            "Is all that we see or seem
            but a dream within a dream?"

            -Edgar Allan Poe


            "...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
            quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

            -Frederick G. Abberline

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
              out of this list Ive got millwood as probable ripper victim, Wilson as just possible. I don't think the others come even close.

              millwood was attacked very close to where Tabram later would be, and marks a natural progression from a serial killers clumsy first attempts to a mature and efficient MO.
              Right on!
              This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

              Stan Reid

              Comment


              • #22
                I believe that Millwood and Wilson are certains for early Ripper attacks. Just my personal opinion.

                Concerning Malvina Haynes and her not being stabbed. This is a mystery at this point I believe as it isn't specified what caused the 'scalp wound' that was inflicted but I've always considered that a knife could have been used, especially with someone who a few weeks later attacked Georgina Green and used a knife to stab her in the head? It's a possibility IMO that the same person who attacked Millwood and Wilson could have later attacked Haynes and Green.

                Also with regards to the original point made about the Yorkshire Ripper having botched attacks during his spree, there was the woman who claimed the Ripper attacked her a week after the Chapman killing, who had her arm slashed after the man who she was soliciting tripped her up. She claimed the man tired to slash her throat. There was some suggestions that this woman may not even have been attacked but she seemed certain that it was an attack.

                There was also a further murder in August 1891 of an old woman named Katherine Wohler, who had her throat cut and was stabbed multiple times, an almost Martha Tabram-style attack. She survived for some time but I assume she later died because the police claimed she committed suicide... this conclusion is quite ridiculous but they were likely desperate to avoid another murder panic after Coles in Feb '91.
                Best regards,
                Adam


                "They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

                Comment


                • #23
                  This is one that intrigues me. The incident supposedly took place on the morning of the Chapman murder. Unfortunately, beyond the press reports I can find no evidence of the attack - no court record, no admission to the London Hospital...

                  Which is a pity because the details of the attacker - a vicious blind seller of laces - fits Pearly Poll’s husband-to-be down to the ground.

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	2D39AE3F-73D5-4257-BDBB-F977D75B5421.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	667667
                  Last edited by MrBarnett; 01-05-2019, 06:09 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    There has been a book written about 50 or so murders that were committed during the Autumn of Terror and largely forgotten about as the Ripper took centre stage. I cannot remember the name of it, but it was a lady author and sounded quite a good read.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Busy Beaver View Post
                      There has been a book written about 50 or so murders that were committed during the Autumn of Terror and largely forgotten about as the Ripper took centre stage. I cannot remember the name of it, but it was a lady author and sounded quite a good read.
                      I can think of a good book on a similar tack, but it's by a male author - "1888: London Murders in the Year of the Ripper" by Peter Stubley. If you remember the one by the lady author, I'd be glad to hear more details of it.
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

                      "Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                        I can think of a good book on a similar tack, but it's by a male author - "1888: London Murders in the Year of the Ripper" by Peter Stubley. If you remember the one by the lady author, I'd be glad to hear more details of it.
                        Gareth,

                        This website has a lot of collected info and news clips as well.

                        http://deathonmydoorstep.com/index.p...4/westminster/

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Sam, You are correct. Sorry I thought it was a female author. I remember writing on a post somewhere on here and that book came up, along with another book, that was written by some one called Helen My mistake.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Busy Beaver View Post
                            There has been a book written about 50 or so murders that were committed during the Autumn of Terror and largely forgotten about as the Ripper took centre stage. I cannot remember the name of it, but it was a lady author and sounded quite a good read.
                            If the author intended to link all those by a single killer, like Ripperologists do with frenzied stabbing, single cuts, dismembered corpses and field organ extractions, ...should be another fine peice of fiction.

                            Im waiting for the poster who has a theory that all woman who died in the LVP were victims of one killer nicknamed Jack. Im sure its percolating somewhere out there.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by jerryd View Post
                              Gareth,

                              This website has a lot of collected info and news clips as well.

                              http://deathonmydoorstep.com/index.p...4/westminster/
                              Interesting site! Thanks, Jerry
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

                              "Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
                                If the author intended to link all those by a single killer...
                                Luckily, the actual (male) author of the book, Peter Stubley, didn't do that as far as I recall!
                                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

                                "Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X