X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael W Richards
    replied
    Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

and as Ive said, Jackson was a prostitute and thus the other torso victims were probably also. add to that the others were all unidentified, which was probably because no one even noticed they were missing and or didn't care enough about them to come forward. Now what type of class of female society would that most likely apply to?
    How many people, male and/or female, do you imagine had proper identification in London in 1888? How many were immigrants and would have little or no relatives in the UK? What differences can be found between Unfortunates...which most of these women were,.. and full time Prostitutes? Mary was one, even though she hadn't been working the streets much before her murder. So, that's 1 within the 5 member Canonical Group that can be fairly called a Prostitute.

You paint with too broad a stroke.

Leave a comment:

• PaulB
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    Could I just ask for opinions on the Drew Grey book please? I don’t have this one. I don’t mean to sidetrack the thread but a comment or two would be welcome.
    Reviewed in the next Ripperologist at some length. Sadly, there are some quite serious errors, the "new" suspect is the cats' meat man James Hardiman who isn't new, and the book is also expensive, especially as a softcover.

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    Could I just ask for opinions on the Drew Grey book please? I don’t have this one. I don’t mean to sidetrack the thread but a comment or two would be welcome.
    another shoddy suspect book, but at least he thinks that torsoman and the ripper were the same. so he got that part right.

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post

As I said, we don't know that was true for all the victims.
    and as Ive said, Jackson was a prostitute and thus the other torso victims were probably also. add to that the others were all unidentified, which was probably because no one even noticed they were missing and or didn't care enough about them to come forward. Now what type of class of female society would that most likely apply to?

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Michael W Richards
    replied
    Originally posted by Fisherman View Post

And who - it just so happens - made cuts in a way that were in all respects perfectly similar to the cuts of the Rainham torso, The Whitehall ditto and Liz Jackson, according to the examining doctor Hebbert. And who managed to cut the neck in a manner that was very reminiscent of the cuts to Mary Kellys neck, according to Phillips.

But who did NOT cut the arms away - Heureka!
    I wonder why you think the killer didn't completely remove Marys right arm...since it was very nearly there anyway. If this guy is Torso Man, why not finish the job.

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied

True. We only know it is correct for all the identified victims from both series, each and every one of them. Since some were not identified, it is impossible to be absolutely certain that they were prostitutes. Which means that all we have to go on is empiri.
    And empiri tells us that serial killers who have prostituted victims on their score cards almost invariably have gone for that category of victims throughout. There are cases, like Peter Sutcliffe, where the odd non-prostitute victim have joined the prostituted victims, but overall, it seems to be a very good bet that the torso victims were prostitutes, all of them. In any case, clinging to the belief that they were probably not would be outright stupid.

There is one more powerful piece of evidence - there are common, extremely rare inclusions in both series, and so that points to a shared identity, a single killer. And we KNOW that killer killed prostitutes/parttime prostitutes only in the ripper series.

"Maybe it is not what it seems to be" is the best there is on sale for the idea of a non-prostitute torso killer - and for the idea of two killers.
    Last edited by Fisherman; 08-09-2019, 07:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sam Flynn
    replied

agree. but so are men, children, co eds, gays, young women etc. amd yet both series have the same victimolgy.. female prostitutes.

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied

Good news: I'm not suggesting a serial killer, just another killer(s) who hit upon the not-uncommon idea of chopping up their victim.
    And who - it just so happens - made cuts in a way that were in all respects perfectly similar to the cuts of the Rainham torso, The Whitehall ditto and Liz Jackson, according to the examining doctor Hebbert. And who managed to cut the neck in a manner that was very reminiscent of the cuts to Mary Kellys neck, according to Phillips.

But who did NOT cut the arms away - Heureka!

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied
    Originally posted by etenguy View Post

You made me smile, I could hear the frustration in your voice as I read these words. I don't want to be the cause of any disbelief in a fellow poster and I appreciate you see this as an important and rare similarity between the two sets of murders. But if you are cutting up bodies, either ripper, torso or ripper/torso killer, going through the abdomen is a most likely route to the inside of the body and so I would expect this to be the case and do not think it necessarily suggests the murders are linked. Two such murderers who overlap in time (if not the same killer) is a coincidence, but if we accept the Torso killer started in 1873 and with gaps continued until at least 1889, the coincidence is less jarring simply because of the length of time involved.
    Going through the abdomen is what all abdominal mutilators do. They open it up, quite simply. But they do NOT cut the walls of it away.

To be frank even if the "only" similarity was that both kilers cut the abdomen open and took out organs, that in itself would present a formidable case for choosing just the one killer.

Once you add the taking away of the abdominal wall in panes, we move onto terra firma. And that is before we speak of lost uteri and hearts, stolen rings etcetera. Or screwdrivers.
    Last edited by Fisherman; 08-09-2019, 05:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied
    Originally posted by etenguy View Post
    This is the best contemporary description of the 1884 mutilations I could find. The description of the mutilations do not, in my view, sound similar to those cuts found on Eddowes face. It does sound more like an attempt to prevent identification of the victim, IMHO.

But I'm not the arbiter of whether the similarities exist, others' views would be interesting since it could be said that Fisherman and I have a horse in this race.

The Magnet
    Nov 10, 1884

The nose was cut off and a large gash was cut through her cheek.

Eddowes´ nose was cut off and she sustained a large gash through her cheek.

To me, simple soul that I am, that sounds like similar things.

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied

...and prostitutes are hardly rare victims of violence, even murder. (Assuming that all the torso victims were prostitutes, which we really don't know.)
    agree. but so are men, children, co eds, gays, young women etc. amd yet both series have the same victimolgy.. female prostitutes.

Leave a comment:

• Sam Flynn
    replied

yes of course-but my main point is that the victims of the ripper (and torsoman) were prostitutes, whether they were actively soliciting or not.
    ...and prostitutes are hardly rare victims of violence, even murder. (Assuming that all the torso victims were prostitutes, which we really don't know.)

Leave a comment:

• Sam Flynn
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post

Don't suggest yet another serial killer Sam, youll fluster a bunch of narrowminded folks here.
    Good news: I'm not suggesting a serial killer, just another killer(s) who hit upon the not-uncommon idea of chopping up their victim.

Leave a comment:

• etenguy
    replied
    Originally posted by jerryd View Post

That YOU could find? That is a clip I posted in 2017. Down to the exact borders from the one I included in my post.
    I meant that I could find on the internet - not that I sourced it - but I didn't take it from this site - but happy to thank you for the research you did in sourcing it in the first place. Sorry for any confusion.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X