Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Wheat
    replied
    I don't buy this theory that all the Ripper's victims were sleeping when the Ripper attacked them. There's just no evidence whatsoever to support this.

Leave a comment:

• Wyatt Earp
    replied
    The medical evidence showed that Annie Chapman had been strangled (swollen and protruding tongue) before having her throat cut. This indicates that she was standing upright when she was first attacked. If she had been lying on the ground fast asleep, it would have made no sense for him to first rouse her by attempting to strangle her, only then to go on to cutting her throat—he would have simply walked up to her and cut her throat. Also, Cadosch reported hearing a “no” and a falling against the fence. His account is also consistent with Chapman being awake and standing when she was first attacked.

Leave a comment:

• Busy Beaver
    replied
    With the invention of steam railways, many rough sleepers slept over the blow holes as the steam kept them warm. Polly was in Bucks Row and there may have been a blow hole at the bridge. But I doubt that's were she was heading to, as Ripper was with her.

Leave a comment:

• Monty
    replied
    Eddowes had a cell for the night, which some argue she was eager to leave.

Monty

Leave a comment:

• richardh
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
    I wasn’t suggesting Kate carried a pillow around with her. That would be silly. I was thinking more of some spare clothing that could be folded and used as a pillow. A shawl or something like that...
    Bolster?

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    I wasn’t suggesting Kate carried a pillow around with her. That would be silly. I was thinking more of some spare clothing that could be folded and used as a pillow. A shawl or something like that...

Leave a comment:

• PaulB
    replied
    Jack the Pillow Stealer somehow doesn't have that ring about it.

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    Ah ha!

So whatever she was using as a pillow was taken away by the Ripper.

I think HR may have inadvertently solved the case.

Leave a comment:

• Monty
    replied
    Catherine Eddowes Head was found upon a coal hole.

Not the the most comfortable of pillows.

Monty

Leave a comment:

• PaulB
    replied
    Originally posted by jmenges View Post

She was invited onto the podcast 6 months ago and agreed to join me for a one-on-one interview. Since then she has shown herself to be unwilling to engage in any rational discussion about, not only her nap theory, but her numerous outlandish public statements about Ripperologists. So given that I will not be having her as a guest on the show. We will do a panel discussion on her book instead.

Unlike Rubenhold, Trevor Marriott has never shied away from debating his views with anyone so I give credit him for that.

JM
    Actually, I give credit to Trevor for that too. He defends his corner.

Leave a comment:

• jmenges
    replied
    He wasted the entire month of October waiting around in some backyard for a sleeper that never arrived.

JM

Leave a comment:

• Sam Flynn
    replied
    The idea that he thought he would find a victim in the quiet, near-deserted and damp Mitre Square stretches credulity as well. He must have spent most of his time fruitlessly scouring unlikely places until he was lucky enough to find an unsuspecting sleeper.

Leave a comment:

• jmenges
    replied
    Originally posted by PaulB View Post
    I believe Rubenhold was invited to appear on the show but she made some excuse.
    She was invited onto the podcast 6 months ago and agreed to join me for a one-on-one interview. Since then she has shown herself to be unwilling to engage in any rational discussion about, not only her nap theory, but her numerous outlandish public statements about Ripperologists. So given that I will not be having her as a guest on the show. We will do a panel discussion on her book instead.

Trevor Marriot was interviewed right after his contentious book was published so maybe there is hope.
    Unlike Rubenhold, Trevor Marriott has never shied away from debating his views with anyone so I give credit him for that.

JM

Leave a comment:

• PaulB
    replied
    I've listened to the Rippercast Rubenhold talk. In fact, I'd purchased a ticket and intended to attend, but another appointment prevented me from going. I believe Rubenhold was invited to appear on the show but she made some excuse. I'm not wholly against the idea that the victims could have been sleeping, I just can't see any of them (Kelly excepted) going to sleep where they were found. People slept rough but usually sought shelter, if only a shop doorway or, like McKenzie, among some barrows and carts. And it's also difficult to imagine how the murderer stumbled across them. Bucks Row was a bit off the beaten track, why would the murderer have gone into the backyard of Hanbury Street, why would he have looked into the darkness of the alley? Most people don't seem to give the idea credence.

Leave a comment:

• Semper_Eadem
    replied
    Hi Paul,

There is a Ripper Cast recording of Rubenhold's talk with The Whitechapel Society. That is what got me interested in her books. I would love for Rubenhold to be interviewed by Ripper Cast but I doubt if this would happen anytime soon, but Trevor Marriot was interviewed right after his contentious book was published so maybe there is hope. It will probably be when I am interested in something else and not following Rippercast. I tend to binge on those and not listen regularly.

As for the Victims sleeping when they were attacked? Well, you would know more then I. I do wonder if JTR might of attacked at least one or two victims while they slept or catnapped? Perhaps he blitzed them. Yes it is that old argument.

Cordially SE
    Last edited by Semper_Eadem; 02-19-2019, 04:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X