Mortuary Photographs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brenda View Post
    Does anyone else remember that rumour that supposedly Harry Houdini possessed a crime scene photograph of MJK? I am unable to name a source for that rumour though.
    Well, there are 2 of you here who have heard of this. First time I've heard any of it. I participated in the very long MJK murder photo thread and besides the very good advise given here, it might be worth while for anyone interested to read some of the hardcore photo discussion on that thread.
    http://oznewsandviews.proboards.com

Comment

Originally posted by Brenda View Post
      Does anyone else remember that rumour that supposedly Harry Houdini possessed a crime scene photograph of MJK? I am unable to name a source for that rumour though.
      I had never heard this story, but there is reason to believe it's true. Houdini had several personal contacts within Scotland Yard, one of whom was William Melville, head of the Special Branch in the 1800s (and inspiration for the character "M" in the James Bond stories). Melville was certainly well versed in the Ripper investigation, especially with respect to one-time suspect Francis Tumblety. In later years, he was also in the habit of taking friends on a tour of famous crime scenes in London, as were other officers who had worked on the Ripper case, and Houdini would very likely have availed himself of such a tour. Thus, it would be no surprise if one of Houdini's police friends had presented him with a copy of the Kelly crime scene photo.
      "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
      Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

You're thinking of Sir Melville McNaughton.
        http://oznewsandviews.proboards.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nothing to see View Post
          You're thinking of Sir Melville McNaughton.
          From the Internet:

In 1893 William Melville became Superintendent of Scotland Yard's Special Branch when his predecessor John Littlechild retired to become a private investigator. In the next ten years, Melville embarked on a large series of well-publicized raids against anarchists. He went to Victoria Station to personally arrest bomber Théodule Meunier. In June 1900 Melville met future stage magician Harry Houdini when he came to Scotland Yard to showcase his abilities as an escapologist. When Houdini released himself easily from the police handcuffs, Melville befriended him and reputedly learned lock picking.
          On 1 November 1903, Melville resigned as superintendent. According to the conclusions of author Andrew Cook, his biographer, which are not accepted by all historians, Melville then became the head of British Secret Intelligence Service with the code name "M".

The only similarity between Melville and Macnaghten [note correct spelling] is they share a name.

"One Should Look Before One Leaps"
          "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
          Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

Working...
          X