No announcement yet.

Have you seen this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're absolutely right! I'm only reporting how people in Sweden think. Of course, they would never admit that Norway had the lion's share!
    Joan

I ain't no student of ancient culture. Before I talk, I should read a book. -- The B52s

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
      Sorry Swedes, but the Norwegians have already claimed most of the state, with the Germans locking up the Twin Cities and a few southern towns. Not much left for the Swedes.

A Minnesotan on an Asian Peninsula
      You're absolutely right. I'm only repeating the thoughts of Swedes, who, of course, would never admit that Norway had the lion's share!
      Joan

I ain't no student of ancient culture. Before I talk, I should read a book. -- The B52s

Comment

Long Liz,

You are welcome!

Pippin,

Although I am not a Norwegian, I live here..and you are correct... nope, they would never admit it..... , I believe it is estimated that during the early to late Victorian period, and up until WW1, nearly 1,000,000 Norwegians emigrated to the USA.

best wishes

Phil

PS. Although Norway didn't become totally independant from Sweden until 1905, it was in 1814 that Norway managed to release itself from the Kingdom of Denmark-Norway, becoming an independant state in union with Sweden. In 1905, the first King, Haakon VII, came to the throne with his wife Maud.. and she was Queen Victoria's grandchild. A little known fact is that the current King actually owns some areas of ground in the centre of London, all from the days of Queen Victoria, apparently.
        Last edited by Phil Carter; 02-24-2010, 05:07 AM.
        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
        Accountability? ....

Comment

Hello you all!

So, this thread is turning into a match between Sweden and Norway.

All I can say, is, that; Oulu is the 4th biggest city in Finland and one can find a town with the same name in Wisconsin...

Phil; we were supposed to get a king in 1918, but because we picked a German prince, we ended up being merely a republic...

Back to the theme; If Liz used some Swedish curse words, what they might have been?!

I know s***a det and h********n from our Swedish speaking population, any more?!

All the best
          Jukka
          "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Working...
          X