No announcement yet.

Did jack kill liz stride?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder what the actual odds are of having two throat slitting maniacs at work at the same time in the same area astronomical I bet so on the strength of this yes Liz stride was a victim of jack the ripper
    Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

• Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
      I wonder what the actual odds are of having two throat slitting maniacs at work at the same time in the same area astronomical I bet so on the strength of this yes Liz stride was a victim of jack the ripper
      It's the manner in which it was done.

A murderer despatching women in the manner in which he did comes around once a century - never mind twice in a night.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
        It's the manner in which it was done.

A murderer despatching women in the manner in which he did comes around once a century - never mind twice in a night.
        I see where you are coming from, but if you take that logic to it's conclusion I think you probably have to include Martha Tabram as a victim too. She was killed very close by and only a few weeks before Nichols in a similarly shocking way.

I think Stride was probably a victim but given the prevailing contemporary climate, it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that the hysteria was used as a cloak by another killer. And the view of the doctor on the scene, Dr Phillips, must surely have some bearing. It seems Dr Phillips did not believe that the man who killed Stride was the same as the one who killed Catherine Eddowes. (Although it appears that Phillips discounted Eddowes as the ripper victim!)

But just on sheer odds alone, if I had to choose, I would have to say that it is more likely that Stride was a ripper victim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Haskins View Post
          I see where you are coming from, but if you take that logic to it's conclusion I think you probably have to include Martha Tabram as a victim too. She was killed very close by and only a few weeks before Nichols in a similarly shocking way.

I think Stride was probably a victim but given the prevailing contemporary climate, it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that the hysteria was used as a cloak by another killer. And the view of the doctor on the scene, Dr Phillips, must surely have some bearing. It seems Dr Phillips did not believe that the man who killed Stride was the same as the one who killed Catherine Eddowes. (Although it appears that Phillips discounted Eddowes as the ripper victim!)

But just on sheer odds alone, if I had to choose, I would have to say that it is more likely that Stride was a ripper victim.
          It's not the same logic at all. Stride is in because someone took the time to subdue her and slit her throat while she was on the floor with the blood flowing away from him - just like the rest. Whoever killed Tabram went down a different road - that person just stabbed her repeatedly. An entirely different situation.

According to the well versed on here, Phillips was not as qualified to comment as the other doctors who disagreed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
            It's not the same logic at all. Stride is in because someone took the time to subdue her and slit her throat while she was on the floor with the blood flowing away from him - just like the rest. Whoever killed Tabram went down a different road - that person just stabbed her repeatedly. An entirely different situation.

According to the well versed on here, Phillips was not as qualified to comment as the other doctors who disagreed.
            But surely a murder that shocking, in the same area, comes around once a century?

Comment

But surely a murder that shocking, in the same area, comes around once a century?
              Well, of course not. The lad in Gateshead/Birtley way who went to town on his girlfriend should tell you that, and the countless other lunatics who wander this earth on a daily basis.

But, how many murderers do you know who kill in the public domain by means of subduing his victim to the point of being on the floor before cutting her throat in a manner in which the blood flows away from him? I think it is extremely rare, which makes two poor souls in a night killed by different men extremely unlikely.

Comment

Maybe in the past, but nowadays it's every six months or so. Although the modern ones are usually commited via firearm, and therefore more remote and easier. I do believe that the Ripper-type slashings with a knife and extensive, regular mutilations are still a rarity.
                Last edited by C. F. Leon; 10-06-2013, 01:34 PM.

Comment

• Mrs. Brown

Hello Jason, Mac.

"which makes two poor souls in a night killed by different men extremely unlikely."

So Mrs. Brown was only faking?

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                    Hello Jason, Mac.

"which makes two poor souls in a night killed by different men extremely unlikely."

So Mrs. Brown was only faking?

Cheers.
                    LC
                    Hello Lynn,

Think there's more to my post than two women killed = must mean more than one murderer.

Comment

• Maybe a bit off topic - but what's the story with the cashews?

I dunno about Victorian England, but here in Victoria, Australia, cashews are not exactly the cheapest of snack foods. In the East End, 1888, wouldn't cashews have been a very expensive luxury item? Where'd she get them?

And why didn't she drop them everywhere? How is the bag still in her hand, after she's tipped over, had her throat cut and then rolled on her side?

Sorry, but I can't think 'Liz Stride' right now without the cashew rant coming up.

As for whether she's one of JtR's -- yes! I mean no. Heck.. maybe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ausgirl View Post
                        Maybe a bit off topic - but what's the story with the cashews?

I dunno about Victorian England, but here in Victoria, Australia, cashews are not exactly the cheapest of snack foods. In the East End, 1888, wouldn't cashews have been a very expensive luxury item? Where'd she get them?

And why didn't she drop them everywhere? How is the bag still in her hand, after she's tipped over, had her throat cut and then rolled on her side?

Sorry, but I can't think 'Liz Stride' right now without the cashew rant coming up.

As for whether she's one of JtR's -- yes! I mean no. Heck.. maybe.
                        Cachous, Ausgirl - not cashews. Cachous are pastilles, a sort of candy, some strong, some sweet.

The best,
                        Fisherman

Comment

• Originally posted by Ausgirl View Post
                          .... they were also scattered all over the yard, and in the gutter.
                          Last edited by Jon Guy; 10-07-2013, 01:12 AM.

Comment

• Plus the evidence tells us that she was not rolled over on her side. She went down on her side and stayed on it throughout, judging by the mud evidence.

The best,
                            Fisherman

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                              Plus the evidence tells us that she was not rolled over on her side. She went down on her side and stayed on it throughout, judging by the mud evidence.
                              She had a little bit of mud on the right side of her jacket so may have briefly been over on that side before been forced down on her left side.
                              So, she may have been rolled.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
                                She had a little bit of mud on the right side of her jacket so may have briefly been over on that side before been forced down on her left side.
                                So, she may have been rolled.
                                That's correct Jon. There's no mention of mud on the back of her clothing though, if the killer rolled her over then surely the back of her clothing would have been marked. I do believe she was rolled over though. It's a pity the orientation of the hat was not referred to, it obviously became detached during the initial attack. It's orientation might have told a tale or two, as to how she lay when first placed on the ground.

The doctor remarked that she was capable of drawing up her legs, as found. I'd suggest that the killer was also capable of this act.

Observer

Comment

Working...
                                X