Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jack's Escape from Mitre Square

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by jerryd View Post
    I see it more like this.

    Notice there are two buildings marked as No. 36 Mitre Street. The one with the "Carp" is the only one on Mitre Street marked as 1 story. The others are 3. It is also stated to be brick arched.

    On these maps, at borders between two buildings we can see a symbol, which either looks like a T or a double stroked T? What do those symbols indicate?

    - Jeff

    Comment


    • Originally posted by JeffHamm View Post

      On these maps, at borders between two buildings we can see a symbol, which either looks like a T or a double stroked T? What do those symbols indicate?

      - Jeff
      They are extended from walls and supposedly indicate how high above the roof level the wall extends.
      Attached Files

      Comment


      • Thanks Gary. I was just about to post that.

        Also you can see, indicated by a smaller "T" and a "C" at the corner, this property (No. 36) had a concrete or asphalt roof as opposed to tile like the others.

        Comment


        • I believe it doesn't show the typical "archway curves" at No. 36 (indicating a passage under) as it was only one story? Does that make sense?
          Last edited by jerryd; 01-22-2022, 10:06 PM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by jerryd View Post
            I believe it doesn't show the typical "archway curves" at No. 36 (indicating a passage under) as it was only one story? Does that make sense?
            A passage ‘through’ rather than ‘under’?

            But then why would there not be a gap to show that?

            I think I mentioned the roof material and that it was just one storey earlier. The wooden structure (yellow), whatever it was, went right across the plot.

            We’ll have to keep searching.

            Comment


            • Well, I think i figured part of the mystery out.

              Again, thanks to Debs in finding the owners and occupiers in 1888. 36.5 Mitre Street was vaults. Thus the brick arched. On a brighter note, look at No. 39 Mitre Street. It included 73 Leadenhall.


              Corporation of London, Esther Lyon, 34, House & shop
              " , A Hart, 35, "
              " , Robert johnson, 36, 36.5 House 7 vaults
              " , Henry Lovell, 37, House & shop
              " , James Thorogood, 38, House & shop
              " , Saml. J Robinson, 39, included in 73 Leadenhall St page 16
              " , Andrew lawson, 40, warehouse


              Comment


              • Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

                They are extended from walls and supposedly indicate how high above the roof level the wall extends.
                Thanks!

                - Jeff

                Comment


                • Originally posted by jerryd View Post
                  Well, I think i figured part of the mystery out.

                  Again, thanks to Debs in finding the owners and occupiers in 1888. 36.5 Mitre Street was vaults. Thus the brick arched. On a brighter note, look at No. 39 Mitre Street. It included 73 Leadenhall.


                  Corporation of London, Esther Lyon, 34, House & shop
                  " , A Hart, 35, "
                  " , Robert johnson, 36, 36.5 House 7 vaults
                  " , Henry Lovell, 37, House & shop
                  " , James Thorogood, 38, House & shop
                  " , Saml. J Robinson, 39, included in 73 Leadenhall St page 16
                  " , Andrew lawson, 40, warehouse

                  Should that be house ‘and’ vaults rather than ‘7’?

                  The 36/36.5 numbering suggests that a gap next to 36 had been filled in?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

                    Should that be house ‘and’ vaults rather than ‘7’?

                    The 36/36.5 numbering suggests that a gap next to 36 had been filled in?
                    Probably Gary. The 36.5 does seem to indicate there is more to the structure. I didn't think of that. Nice catch!

                    My lingering question is, how did one get into the Ivory Warehouse and other properties in the middle of these two streets? I know No. 75 Leadenhall shows a passage back there but would that be the only way in?

                    Also, in the main property at No. 36 there is a white square which almost seems to be a part of the bigger courtyard. What is that?
                    Last edited by jerryd; 01-22-2022, 11:09 PM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by jerryd View Post

                      Probably Gary. The 36.5 does seem to indicate there is more to the structure. I didn't think of that. Nice catch!

                      My lingering question is, how did one get into the Ivory Warehouse and other properties in the middle of these two streets? I know No. 75 Leadenhall shows a passage back there but would that be the only way in?

                      Also, in the main property at No. 36 there is a white square which almost seems to be a part of the bigger courtyard. What is that?
                      I’ve ordered another copy of the ‘yard to the mile’ scale OS map. That may help out. When it arrives next week I’ll share it on here.

                      Although I’m very doubtful there was a passageway in 1888, I like the idea that there might have been because it leads in the direction of Haydon Square, about which I have a ‘theory’.


                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

                        I’ve ordered another copy of the ‘yard to the mile’ scale OS map. That may help out. When it arrives next week I’ll share it on here.

                        Although I’m very doubtful there was a passageway in 1888, I like the idea that there might have been because it leads in the direction of Haydon Square, about which I have a ‘theory’.

                        Good deal and thanks. I'm interested to hear your Haydon Square theory. Lechmere related, I assume? Bachert lived that way also.

                        Comment


                        • This is interesting. It’s from a book of aerial photos I have dating from from 2004.

                          The gap appears to be there.
                          Attached Files

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                            This is interesting. It’s from a book of aerial photos I have dating from from 2004.

                            The gap appears to be there.
                            The location seems different, though. I've rotated and scaled the map to the photo (by eye) and I've sketched out in black where the photo passage and yard sort of looks to be?

                            And the Mitre Square end in the photo is far wider than the Leadenhall end, but there's no clear indication of it. I would think something that wide would show up as a visible gap between the buildings on the maps?

                            - Jeff


                            Click image for larger version

Name:	SmithsBuildingPassage.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	779695

                            Comment


                            • Thanks, Jeff.

                              It’s obviously wrong for the Leadenhall Street end, but the central space looks very similar and if there is still a mediaeval arch in place, then it’s possibly in the gap we can see in the 2004 photo and it may have once provided the access from Mitre Street.

                              Next time I’m that way I’ll have a look to see if there is anything visible through the modern arch.




                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by jerryd View Post

                                Gary.

                                Apparently in medieval times there was a passage from an entrance between 39 and 40 Mitre Street to 72 and 73 Leadenhall.

                                Archway Between Numbers 39 and 40 Mitre Street and at Rear of Numbers 72 and 73 Leadenhall Street, City of London, London (britishlistedbuildings.co.uk)

                                I would guess numbering changed a bit over the years but in the current google maps of #40 Mitre Street it does show an archway to the left of the current #40.

                                (#40 directly to right in this street view)



                                It looks like you found the right location, Jerry.

                                https://historicengland.org.uk/listi...nts-and-photos

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X