X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kaz
    replied
    "(albeit they can diametrically disagree about the same samples)"

So, which ones would you 'choose' to agree on?

"If the answer is: we are not sure, we don't know, we don't recall--then fair enough. I won't ask again."

Great detective work that, if you don't get the answers you are looking for from one thread shout from the rooftops, "FAKE!!!"

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan H
    replied
    I am asking if there are handwriting assessments by handwriting experts (albeit they can diametrically disagree about the same samples) who made a formal comparison between the Barretts' hand-writing -- taking into account it being disguised -- and the 'Diary'?

I am asking if there is a source that we can access that shows that the watch appeared before the 'Diary'? (I will even settle for how a person claims the watch predates the 'book'? What or who is the source for that claim?)

If the answer is: we are not sure, we don't know, we don't recall--then fair enough. I won't ask again.

Leave a comment:

• Kaz
    replied
    Originally posted by Jonathan H View Post
    Then we fundamentally differ in out interpretation of Mr Barrett, whom I have not met (but I believe you have).

To me, in the doco, Barrett came across as a person perfectly capable of assisting with a minor forgery and/or masterminding a crude, minor forgery that would stumble at the first hurdle (a credible provenance) pass the second (the age of the paper and ink) and fail at the third (Maybrick's handwriting).

I would need to see a formal report by the pertinent constabulary about this checking of Mike and his then spouse's handwriting; who exactly cleared them of fraud. As in which handwriting expert cleared them, and on what basis?

I've not looked for a long time but I believe theres samples of mikes handwriting in the 'final chapter', its clearly nothing like the diaries and it was at the point Mike was taking claim to being the author, if memory serves it also includes annes and her fathers, again, nothing similar.

IF feldman used fraudulent samples he took a massive risk, one that could have landed him in very hot water.

I'm with pm on this, can't see mike being behind the diaries creation. I know caz is 100% sure of that as well, good enough for me

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    G'day Jonathan

Thanks for the link.

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan H
    replied
    The Diary of Jack the Ripper

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q='the+diary+of+jack+the+Ripper'+youtubeR&q pvt=%27the+diary+of+jack+the+Ripper%27+youtubeR&FO RM=VDRE&adlt=strict#view=detail&mid=41DF56FC1CB80A 74515B41DF56FC1CB80A74515B

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    G'day Jonathan

I can't find that documentary by Michael Winner do you happen to know either where it is to be found or what the title was so I can do a more thorough search?

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan H
    replied
    Then we fundamentally differ in out interpretation of Mr Barrett, whom I have not met (but I believe you have).

To me, in the doco, Barrett came across as a person perfectly capable of assisting with a minor forgery and/or masterminding a crude, minor forgery that would stumble at the first hurdle (a credible provenance) pass the second (the age of the paper and ink) and fail at the third (Maybrick's handwriting).

I would need to see a formal report by the pertinent constabulary about this checking of Mike and his then spouse's handwriting; who exactly cleared them of fraud. As in which handwriting expert cleared them, and on what basis?

Leave a comment:

• pinkmoon
    replied
    Originally posted by Jonathan H View Post
    To Pinkmoon

You wrote that the Barretts had their handwitring checked and that it did not match the 'Diary'.

What is the source for this very definitive statement? If you don't want to say, that's your perogative.

So, Barrett tells you reatively recently that he had no idea about the fuss such an artefact would casue and that only hoped to make enough to buy a greenhouse. How touching. Practically an innocent victim, presumably of the vulture tabloids and other people's malice.

And you believe that--why?

Because he said so, long after it all went south? After it had proved not to be the greatest publishing event in history but a debacle quickly forgotten.

You should check out the pro-'Diary' documentary Michael 'Death Wish' Winner made at the time, in which a rather different Mike Barrett appears.
    I've seen Michael winner documentary several times having met Mr Barrett several times I do believe he is not capable of producing a forgery .I remember seeing Mr Barrett for the first time on a regional programme before I met him and his behaviour did seem rather odd I think his Nick name in the local pub was "bongo".I'm sure I read that the Barrett s handwriting was checked by the police and I'm sure that it was because that would have been a very easy and obvious think for the police to do just as it is easy for us to compare the handwriting to the ripper letters.

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan H
    replied
    To Pinkmoon

You wrote that the Barretts had their handwitring checked and that it did not match the 'Diary'.

What is the source for this very definitive statement? If you don't want to say, that's your perogative.

So, Barrett tells you reatively recently that he had no idea about the fuss such an artefact would casue and that only hoped to make enough to buy a greenhouse. How touching. Practically an innocent victim, presumably of the vulture tabloids and other people's malice.

And you believe that--why?

Because he said so, long after it all went south? After it had proved not to be the greatest publishing event in history but a debacle quickly forgotten.

You should check out the pro-'Diary' documentary Michael 'Death Wish' Winner made at the time, in which a rather different Mike Barrett appears.

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    I think the only things half my class read were Football magazines or "Mad Magazine".

The other half simply could not read at all.

I refuse to say what half I fell into, as told one bloke who said I was illiterate:

"I are not mum and dad was married two weeks before I was borned."

Leave a comment:

• pinkmoon
    replied
    Originally posted by GUT View Post
    Thanks I'd never heard of "Look in".
    Very popular publication half of my school used to read it I think any letter published received the princely sum of 5 pounds.

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    G'day Sam

Thanks I'd never heard of "Look in".

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan H
    replied
    Who exactly says that Mike Barrett's and Anne's handwriting does not match that of the 'Diary'?

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    G'day again Pinkmoon

Thanks that answers the questions that have worried me for ages, you are as always a gent.

Leave a comment:

• pinkmoon
    replied
    Originally posted by GUT View Post
    Was he drinking so much in 1990 or thereabouts or did that increase drastically after they separated, as often happens.

Has anyone ever checked with Outhwaite & Litherland about selling anything to Mike?

You can not imagine how much I wanted to believe the diary when it first came out. think I was one of the first here to buy the book.
    Hi gut, the auctioneers were checked out they stated that they did conduct their auctions in the way Mr Barrett said they did.Mr Barrett was drinking heavily well before the diary was discoverd Mr Barrett did not expect such a fuss or so much money he told me he only wanted enough to buy a greenhouse!.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X