X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• erobitha
    replied
    Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
    Erobitha, I'm glad your getting your money's worth from your Ancestry subscription.

Your implying that Eleanor Young, who married George Bridge in 1873, was Mrs Hammersmith because of a bridge?

Mrs Bridge. Hammersmith bridge has recently opened, let's call her Mrs Hammersmith, affectionately, cause her name's Bridge, see. Get it?

I'll be honest, I'm not seeing that one.
    Whether they are yours or Al Bundy’s eyes - you get to choose what you see. I am simply presenting a theory that in the mind of the author such a silly nickname for someone he has a low opinion of is not beyond the realms of possibility.

I accept you couldn’t move for Cotton Brokers in Liverpool at that time, but using more psychology as a starting point as opposed to census data I feel we might uncover a better quality of candidate. Such as my Mary Thomas example.

I need to be quick as my free trial period on Ancestry runs out soon so does anyone have any requests? missing relatives? Glen Miller?

Leave a comment:

• Iconoclast
    replied
    I can only see what's shown to me.
    Well, Abe, he's showing you that Maybrick could have been referring to a Mrs Bridge as a 'Mrs Hammersmith' because he had Ken Dodd's tickling stick before him and - using the name thus - it tickled his fancy. Dodd (no relation of Paul, I assume) probably got it from an auction at O&L.

I used to call a pal 'Hemel' because she came from Hemel Hempstead. Absolutely no logic to it, but I had borrowed Doddsy's tickling stick and made good use of it.

Carry on.

Ike

Leave a comment:

• Al Bundy's Eyes
    replied
    I can only see what's shown to me.

Leave a comment:

• Iconoclast
    replied
    Erobitha, I'm glad your getting your money's worth from your Ancestry subscription.

Your implying that Eleanor Young, who married George Bridge in 1873, was Mrs Hammersmith because of a bridge?

Mrs Bridge. Hammersmith bridge has recently opened, let's call her Mrs Hammersmith, affectionately, cause her name's Bridge, see. Get it?

That's not strictly true, Abe - you are clearly seeing it. Whether you choose to believe it is yours to call. At present, it's a 'could have been' which both sides of the debate make frequent use of.

PS erobitha, 1) Why are you called 'erobitha'? (I finally feel the need to ask), and 2) possibly as hard to prove as my GSG argument, but well done all the same (maybe James had a sense of humour and enjoyed playing around with her name - who else do we know who enjoys doing that???)

Cheers,

Ike

Leave a comment:

• Al Bundy's Eyes
    replied

Leave a comment:

• erobitha
    started a topic Was Eleanor Bridge Mrs Hammersmith?

Was Eleanor Bridge Mrs Hammersmith?

I have reason to believe that "Mrs Hammersmith" was in fact "Mrs Eleanor Bridge". Hammersmith was a quaint nickname Jim had for her, and most likely George too. This is at theory stage and I have yet to research any direct link to the two families, but have a look at what I have found thus far:

- George Bridge was born Liverpool December 1848 (aged 40 in 1888) Baptised 15/01/1849
    - Father Mark Nelson Bridge & mother Elisabeth Bridge
    - Address was Windsor Street, Toxteth Park 1851 census (father was a pilot)
    - Lived with parents & siblings at 6 Myrtle Street, Liverpool (aged 12 - 1861 census)
    - Age 22 still living with parents, this time Richmond Terrace, Everton, West Darby (1871 census)
    - Married in 1873 to Eleanor Young (born 1847)
    - 1881 census address is Innismore Newsham Park, West Darby. 6 miles north of Battlecrease House with main road linking being Queens Drive. George's Occupation: Cotton Broker
    - In 1887 Hammersmith Bridge was re-opened to the public by Prince of Wales on 11/06/1887.

Just sharing a theory for now....

Working...
X