Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was the author of the 'Maybrick' diary? Some options.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
    why its still being defended or argued that there is still some question about its origin is simply remarkable.
    It's not complicated. The logic you and Bridewell employ is deeply flawed.

    You can't dismiss the journal on the grounds that you more or less don't like the look of it.
    Iconoclast
    Soldier of Fortune, Man of Peace, Destroyer of Images, Nice Guy

    Comment


    • Then we have Billy Graham's extraordinary claim that the diary had been in his family for over a century, apparently pilfered from Battlecrease, but during that entire period nobody bothers to sell it or even read it.

      Oh, and if that isn't extraordinary enough, he then claimed to be Florence Maybrick's grandson!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post
        It's not complicated. The logic you and Bridewell employ is deeply flawed.

        You can't dismiss the journal on the grounds that you more or less don't like the look of it.
        HI Icon

        It's not complicated.
        no. its not.

        The logic you and Bridewell employ is deeply flawed.
        see above

        You can't dismiss the journal on the grounds that you more or less don't like the look of it
        I dismiss it because all the evidence points to it being a modern forgery by MB and his wife.

        you seem to embrace its authenticity on blind faith, however.
        "Is all that we see or seem
        but a dream within a dream?"

        -Edgar Allan Poe


        "...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
        quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

        -Frederick G. Abberline

        Comment


        • Originally posted by John G View Post
          Hi Caz,

          Well, perhaps on reflection, I should have used a more apt adjective than "strenuous". I don't know, maybe Mike's love of the melodramatic is becoming infectious!

          Nonetheless, I think the advert was fairly specific in its requirements. For instance, the diary had to date from 1880-1890, and therefore not just simply a Victorian diary, which would have covered the period 1837-1901. Additionally, it had to have a minimum of 20 blank pages, which is consistent with someone planing a hoax (I'm not sure what else it's consistent with).

          Why would Mike want to obtain an unused or partly used diary from the 1880s for purposes of a practical joke? In other words, exactly what practical joke was he intending to play?
          Ah, I'm sorry, John, I didn't make myself clear. Mike claimed to be as sceptical as anyone else would be, on first being shown this old book signed "Jack the Ripper". Who would believe it in a million years? Was someone pulling his leg? Was Doreen going to say: "You've been had", as soon as she set eyes on it? Was there any way to find out how easily anyone in 1992 [not Mike, but this potential leg puller] could have found a diary from the right period - the 1880s - with enough blank pages to play such a prank? Yes there was. Mike enquired and found it was not so easy when he was sent a tiny example for the year 1891, which nobody could have used to pull his leg. Meanwhile, Doreen sounded genuinely interested so Mike took a punt and took his newly acquired Jack the Ripper diary to London, where everyone he saw reacted positively and didn't automatically think this was some kind of joke that had been played on Mike.

          Love,

          Caz
          X
          "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov


          Comment


          • I may be showing my age, but so far in this discussion nobody's mentioned Steve Powell!!!

            Graham
            We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

            Comment


            • Originally posted by John G View Post
              Then we have Billy Graham's extraordinary claim that the diary had been in his family for over a century, apparently pilfered from Battlecrease, but during that entire period nobody bothers to sell it or even read it.

              Oh, and if that isn't extraordinary enough, he then claimed to be Florence Maybrick's grandson!
              But how does this demonstrate that BG ever really knew when the diary was created or by whom? When his daughter claimed it had been in their family for years and she had first seen it in the late 1960s, he had to try and make sense of that somehow, short of accusing her of making it all up. He was elderly and died later that same year, so his memory may not have been good and he may have been struggling to recall anything that could be relevant.

              Love,

              Caz
              X
              "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov


              Comment


              • Originally posted by caz View Post
                ... Was there any way to find out how easily anyone in 1992 [not Mike, but this potential leg puller] could have found a diary from the right period - the 1880s - with enough blank pages to play such a prank? Yes there was. Mike enquired and found it was not so easy when he was sent a tiny example for the year 1891, which nobody could have used to pull his leg...
                While an actual diary with the prerequisites mentioned would be difficult to procure, a photo album would be far less so. I have two from my own family from around the turn of the twentieth century and neither are complete. One has many more blank pages than used. In fact, I've seen few that were full.

                Once the Kodak Brownie camera became available in the late nineteenth century, allowing good, cheap photography for the masses, these albums flourished in quantity.
                Best Wishes,
                Hunter
                ____________________________________________

                When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

                Comment


                • Indeed, Cris. But presumably Mike was not aware of this when he made his telephone enquiry [whether it was for forgery purposes or to check if his leg was being pulled], or would he not have asked for a more easily obtainable Victorian photo album in the first place?

                  Love,

                  Caz
                  X
                  "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov


                  Comment


                  • Someone intending to hoax a Victorian diary would, presumably, try to obtain a contemporary diary first as last.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

                    "Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                      Someone intending to hoax a Victorian diary would, presumably, try to obtain a contemporary diary first as last.
                      bingo.
                      and no Victorian diarist, authentic or a forger, is going to use a freaken photo album. its absurd.
                      "Is all that we see or seem
                      but a dream within a dream?"

                      -Edgar Allan Poe


                      "...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

                      -Frederick G. Abberline

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                        no Victorian diarist, authentic or a forger, is going to use a freaken photo album. its absurd.
                        Indeed, Abby. Neither would anyone in the early decades of the 20th century when, I presume, diaries of an appropriate vintage would still have been more readily available than they would later become.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

                        "Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                          Someone intending to hoax a Victorian diary would, presumably, try to obtain a contemporary diary first as last.
                          Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                          bingo.
                          and no Victorian diarist, authentic or a forger, is going to use a freaken photo album. its absurd.
                          Yes but the docmument is being called a "diary" as a way to label it as an entity. I am not sure that the writer ever says in the document that he (or she) was writing a diary. Rather the thing is, as we know, more a journal of thoughts, most of them jealous, petty, and bloody.

                          Best regards

                          Chris
                          Christopher T. George
                          Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                          just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                          For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                          RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
                            Yes but the docmument is being called a "diary" as a way to label it as an entity. I am not sure that the writer ever says in the document that he (or she) was writing a diary. Rather the thing is, as we know, more a journal of thoughts, most of them jealous, petty, and bloody.

                            Best regards

                            Chris
                            are you kidding? I cant tell if your being serious or joking.
                            please tell me your kidding.
                            "Is all that we see or seem
                            but a dream within a dream?"

                            -Edgar Allan Poe


                            "...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                            quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

                            -Frederick G. Abberline

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                              bingo.
                              and no Victorian diarist, authentic or a forger, is going to use a freaken photo album. its absurd.
                              But a proven bullshiter and a so called stupid one might when fabricating a diary Abby.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                                are you kidding? I cant tell if your being serious or joking.
                                please tell me your kidding.
                                Not kidding, Abby. I am being dead serious. When first published, in Shirley Harrison's The Diary of Jack the Ripper (1993) that designation was attached to the document but that's not really what the document is. So that designation is misleading. There is no reason why these thoughts should be written in a regular printed "diary" -- they could have been written anywhere.

                                Chris
                                Christopher T. George
                                Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                                just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                                For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                                RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X