Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working conditions for Pickfords carmen

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Working conditions for Pickfords carmen

    Fourteen to eight hour workdays, no holidays, etc.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Standard 29 June 1891.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	798938
    "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

  • #2
    No reasonable time allowance for serial killing then Fiver? Typical of British bosses when there’s no union.
    Regards

    Sir Herlock Sholmes.

    “A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
      No reasonable time allowance for serial killing then Fiver? Typical of British bosses when there’s no union.
      Or energy. Frankly, I'm amazed he still had enough stamina left to father 11 children.
      "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Fiver View Post

        Or energy. Frankly, I'm amazed he still had enough stamina left to father 11 children.

        Seriously, though.

        With Lechmere apparently working 14 to 18 hours per day, assuming he started work at 4:00 AM, that means he would have finished work at some time between 6 and 10 PM.

        If we take the average of the two, that would have him coming home at about 8:30 in the evening.

        The fact that the murderer killed five women in 10 weeks suggests he must have done a lot of stalking, biding his time for the right opportunity.

        I don't think he was working 14 to 18 hours per day.

        I think he was sleeping during the daytime, while Lechmere was working.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
          No reasonable time allowance for serial killing than there was a Union for the Carmen, and for SKsFiver? Typical of British bosses when there’s no union.
          But there was a Union for the drivers, so there must have been one for SKs too, maybe Lech was Chairman of that one.
          G U T

          There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

          Comment


          • #6
            Fiver has posted this before. It’s a press report describing men attending a late night meeting intended to demonstrate that such men were too tired at the end of their shifts to do anything more than fall into bed.

            There are other reports about Pickford’s men that show that their shifts weren’t universally a solid 14/18 hours.

            And Fiver keeps insisting that all Pickfords men carried a variety of goods on their carts. Something like that. He’ll let us know if that’s not right.

            So presumably no specialisation whatsoever. I can’t recall if he has ever provided a source for that.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Fiver View Post
              Fourteen to eight hour workdays, no holidays, etc.

              Click image for larger version  Name:	Standard 29 June 1891.jpg Views:	33 Size:	250.5 KB ID:	798938
              Clipping is from The Standard Monday, June 29, 1891​
              "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                Fiver has posted this before.
                Wrong. I have mentioned the article, but this is the first time I posted it.

                Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                It’s a press report describing men attending a late night meeting intended to demonstrate that such men were too tired at the end of their shifts to do anything more than fall into bed.
                Wrong again. In fact, it's almost the complete opposite of what I said.

                Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                There are other reports about Pickford’s men that show that their shifts weren’t universally a solid 14/18 hours.
                Feel free to provide sources.

                Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                And Fiver keeps insisting that all Pickfords men carried a variety of goods on their carts. Something like that. He’ll let us know if that’s not right.
                Wrong again. I have pointed out that Pickfords was a general goods service, not a slaughterhouse.

                Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                So presumably no specialisation whatsoever. I can’t recall if he has ever provided a source for that.
                Proof Reversal and Straw Man - you're giving us two logical fallacies for the price of one.

                It should hardly be surprising that I did not offer a source for something I never said.

                Getting back to the burden of proof, a couple central tenets of the Church of Lechmere, Unholy Be His Name, are:

                * Charles Lechmere drove a meat cart.

                * Meat was transported in a way that regularly left meat cart drivers covered in fresh blood.

                We're still waiting for evidence of either.




                "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Fiver View Post
                  Fourteen to eight hour workdays, no holidays, etc.
                  Interesting. Thanks for posting this.

                  Let all Oz be agreed;
                  I need a better class of flying monkeys.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X