Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Makes Aaron Kosminski a Viable Suspect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fisherman
    replied
    I think the author providing the likeliest picture of what went down in the Kosminski affair is Martin Fido, who instantly realized that whatever Kosminski was, he was no strong, stealthy killer, and who accordingly deducted that poor Aaron had been mistaken for somebody else: Aaron Cohen, a raving maniac.
    Of course, I donīt think either of these men was the Ripper, but I think Fido clarifies how loosely grounded the Kosminski ideas are and always were.
    That does not prevent that Harry may well be totally correct instating that out of the police suspects, Kosminski is perhaps the best. In a basket full of rotten apples, one apple is bound to be the least rotten one - but it may be inedible nevertheless.

And all the while when we discuss this, ANOTHER man is accused of probably having been the Ripper on ANOTHER thread, on account of ANOTHER police bigwig having named him.

And on it goes, with no hard evidence at all pointing in either manīs direction. In 2088, when most of us out here are all dead, there will perhaps be a bicentennial event, where Kos and Dru will still carry the banner as the top contenders. Itīs a nightmarish thought, but Ripperology is Ripperology.

If they will only have the insight to hold that bicentennial in 2073, things will look up.
    Last edited by Fisherman; 06-17-2019, 10:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Harry D
    replied
    "Kosminski" is the strongest of the police suspects. Two senior officials reference a man who was identified as the killer but got off due to a technicality. There is no reason to suspect that Anderson & Swanson were lying or having a brainfart about a case of this magnitude. Seems to me there was a jewish man whom they had good reason to suspect. A witness (Lawende/Schwartz/etc) either identified him or they read between the lines and realised the two men knew each other. Witness wouldn't surrender him to the goy.

Leave a comment:

• Cogidubnus
    replied
    Originally posted by harry View Post
    He was sent home to his family who thought he was?
    And could he actually have been a barber-surgeon?

Leave a comment:

• harry
    replied
    He was sent home to his family who thought he was?

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
    Druitt was the Ripper?

If this were true, there would be no point in Macnaghten also fingering Kosminski and Ostrog, one of whom had a cast-iron alibi.
    I did end that quote will a smiley Simon.

Leave a comment:

• Darryl Kenyon
    replied
    Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

At least Druitt fit several suspect descriptions
    Pardon!

Leave a comment:

• Simon Wood
    replied
    Druitt was the Ripper?

If this were true, there would be no point in Macnaghten also fingering Kosminski and Ostrog, one of whom had a cast-iron alibi.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    So, what was he doing in Macnaghten's memorandum?
    Macnaghten named three men that he felt were likelier than Cutbush. Druitt was the likeliest.

Leave a comment:

• Simon Wood
    replied
    So, what was he doing in Macnaghten's memorandum?

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    He couldn’t have been the ripper because Druitt was.

Leave a comment:

• Simon Wood
    replied
    Hi Jon,

"What we did not get was a clearer or fuller picture on why Kozminski was Anderson's favorite, and any evidence that choice was based on."

Macnaghten showed him his memorandum. They tossed a coin. Macnaghten picked the drowned doctor, leaving Anderson with the Polish Jew.

What other evidence do you need?

Regards,

Simon

Leave a comment:

• John G
    replied
    Here we are, guys and gals. Something to get your teeth into.

Aaron Kosminski - Ripper suspect?
    Well it's obvious Kosminski. I mean, Lawende, a highly reliable witness, positively identified him. Then we have Dr Louhelainen's unimpeachable forensic DNA evidence, and the shawl with cast iron provenance. Obvioulsy case closed, unless I'm missing anything...

Leave a comment:

• Wickerman
    replied
    I actually bought Robert's book (Scotland Yard's Prime Suspect) because it was a long awaited serious attempt to fill in so many blanks about this character. We do learn a great deal about Kozminski's background, but that could be done with many suspects. What we did not get was a clearer or fuller picture on why Kozminski was Anderson's favorite, and any evidence that choice was based on.

Much the same as Druitt, we don't know why.

But, at 23 years old? - seriously!!
    At least Druitt fit several suspect descriptions, whereas Kozminski is an unknown - we don't know what he looked like, but one thing stands out. No-one described a young 23 yr old kid still wet behind the ears.

Leave a comment:

• Simon Wood
    replied
    Hi Jon,

Me kid you?

Heaven forfend.

There has been a lot of pontification and a well-received book about the candidacy of Aaron Kosminski.

Not that I believe a word of it.

Regards,

Simon

Leave a comment:

• Wickerman
    replied
    At 23 years old, are you joking!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X