Plausibility of Kosminski

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Rob,

No, the story's been around a while, credited to the London correspondent of the Western Mail.

I did some digging. In 1891 the London correspondent of the Western Mail was the newspaper's co-owner and Tory Member of Parliament for Oldham, James McKenzie Maclean.

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Primrose League

Hello Simon. Do you know if this lad was a Primrose League mover and shaker as Farqy was?

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

• Very good Simon. Good digging. I am of course wondering about whether this might refer to Kozminski. What are your thoughts?

Regards,

Rob

Comment

• Hi Lynn,

Sorry, I can't help you there.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

• whole cloth

Hello Jonathan. Thanks.

I was wondering about the possibility that Farqy crafted the story out of whole cloth--with perhaps a dash of circumstantial evidence and hearsay? Subsequently, Mac swallowed it hook, line and sinker?

Oops! Almost forgot--a Kosminski thread. Sorry.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

• more work to do

Hello Simon. Thanks anyway.

Might just look him up as I have the relevant tools.

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

• yiiihaaaaah!

Hello Simon. "Yiiihaaaaah!" as the locals say. Here 'tis.

Snippet from "Primrose League Gazette" May 11, 1889.

Cheers.
                LC
                Attached Files

Comment

• Hi All,

I have just been advised that I got the year wrong for the Western Mail/Tory MP article. It came a year later, 26th February 1892. My apologies for the error.

However, looking at it afresh the story makes even less sense than it didn't make before.

The Honourable Member for Oldham was being given to believe "on the authority of a Scotland Yard detective" that "The suspected criminal, till within a month at any rate, has been shadowed night and day, awake and asleep, by Scotland Yard detectives."

As by January 1892 Kosminski had been in Colney Hatch for eleven months, Sadler had been exonerated, Druitt was long dead and Ostrog had an iron-clad alibi, who were the cops following?

Time for fresh batteries in our BS-detectors.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

• Hi Lynn,

Well done.

Everything's coming up Primroses.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

• Salisbury's stake

Hello Simon. Thanks. Looks like Lord Salisbury's Tory government doing some gymnastics.

Question: Why? What stake did he have in it? (Heh-heh, sorry, couldn't resist.)

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post

As by January 1892 Kosminski had been in Colney Hatch for eleven months, Sadler had been exonerated, Druitt was long dead and Ostrog had an iron-clad alibi, who were the cops following?

Time for fresh batteries in our BS-detectors.

Regards,

Simon
                        Hi Simon,
                        Looking at the revised date, perhaps it's related to these stories...and guess who?

For any suspect discussion not pertaintaining to a particular or listed suspect.

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood
                          “I am in a position to give, on the authority of a Scotland Yard detective, a somewhat remarkable piece of information respecting the hunt of the English police after the perpetrator of the terrible series of East End murders which convulsed the whole country with horror a while ago. We have heard nothing of “Jack the Ripper” for some time past-over a year-and his murderous operations have not been renewed.

“The reason of this is that the police have, for many months past, been perfectly certain that they have discovered the man. The chain of evidence has been completed with the exception of a single link. That link they have been making unavailing endeavours to supply. The suspected criminal, till within a month at any rate, has been shadowed night and day, awake and asleep, by Scotland Yard detectives. Everything points to the conclusion that he has himself been perfectly aware of this vigilance on the part of the police, and it is, no doubt, from this cause, and this alone, that the Whitechapel murders have ceased."
                          Originally posted by robhouse
                          Very good Simon. Good digging. I am of course wondering about whether this might refer to Kozminski. What are your thoughts?
                          I know better than to point out the suspect being discussed here, but it ain’t Kozminski.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by Debra A
                            Hi Simon,
                            Looking at the revised date, perhaps it's related to these stories...and guess who?
                            LOL. I didn't see you'd already posted. And did you notice the unsourced article Stewart posted?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Hi Debra,

Why not? The timing is compelling. But Deeming's candidature does bring along its own problems.

Meanwhile, as there is no reason for us to disbelieve James McKenzie Maclean, the Honourable Member for Oldham, I think we can safely say on the unimpeachable "authority of a Scotland Yard detective"—

Montague John Druitt, Aaron Kosminski and Michael Ostrog "requiescat in pace".

Regards,

Simon

Comment

• Hello Simon,

Which is what I had said about a million posts ago... thank you for the supply of additional.

kindly

Phil
                                Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                                Accountability? ....

Comment

Working...
                                X