Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DJA View Post
    Probably!!?
    Toppy was never unemployed and living at the Victoria Working Men's Home.
    Where would he have gained his military bearing?
    Part of his plumbing apprenticeship
    A/ We donīt know what a military bearing is - or so Iīm told.

B/ Some say it is a straight back, nothing more.

C/ Either way, anybody could have had it.

He apparently did NOT live at the Victoria Home, by the way.

As for the unemployed business, that was what Reg said, and he was not around at the time. He would have spoken of later days.
    Last edited by Fisherman; 01-15-2017, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
      Yes MS, I think he might be the groom listed in the Newington workhouse vagrant (casual) ward that Pat once found too. Most of the lodging house class who weren't in regular employment but who relied on travelling from place to place looking for a days work, or worked in the crop fields or were hawkers etc. would use the causual wards when on their travels.
      He even walks about all night! ; )
      "Is all that we see or seem
      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by MysterySinger View Post
        Yes Debra it's this one which seems to fit (for the benefit of others).
        Seems to fit? Up?

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
          You are correct, as always. I know who he favours for the role, though...

I think he started the thread to help out with an identification, not because he was very impressed with this sailor.
          Well this hutch isn't too young to be torso ripper.
          "Is all that we see or seem
          but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
          quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
            Well this hutch isn't too young to be torso ripper.
            Which is a tad meagre to qualify for the role, though...

Comment

Thanks MS. Have you made any progress tracing him outside of this casual ward entry? I think some thought the workhouse groom might be Cottage Grove Hutchinson as he corresponded in age; the 1887 watch stealer who liked horses Research showed that Cottage Grove Hutchinson's actual name was George Hutchison, without an 'n'. While the workhouse records may have simply spelt it wrongly, his signature on the police statements clearly say Hutchinson and his signature on his Freedom of the City application is very different to the police statement signature.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                He even walks about all night! ; )
                Yes. We know the witness GH was unemployed and looking for work and this is the kind of lifestyle, staying in lodging house and casual wards while travelling around he would be living. His walking from Romford also fits. Several others in the casual ward have travelled from places like Romford and stopping off for one night on their way to somewhere else.

Comment

Except for his age
                  My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

He was Jack the Ripper because...?
                    There is quite a list of circumstantial evidence,some of which you are aware.
                    Here is a bit......

All CV5 can be linked to him.

CV1 was a possible inpatient with CV4 over twenty years prior.
                    Both had Rheumatic fever.
                    Strep pyogenes makes their home in the intestines.
                    Attacks both heart and kidneys/adrenal glands.

My family is genetically vulnerable,as was Eddowes'.
                    I have neurasthenia. Sister similar. Father died of RF. Mother from another bacteria.
                    My intestinal strep is 28.6% of my gut flora. That and kidneys/adrenals and heart would have been Jack's targets.

CV2 had TB which had invaded her brain.
                    Seems an attempt was made to take her head off.
                    Guess who was a chest "expert".

CV3 had a bottom lip that looked like hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia.
                    Would explain the lack of a "post mortem" by Jack.
                    Her husband had TB.

CV5 was probably 29 year old Mary Ann Kelly,a member of his church where he was on the Vestry Board with Thomas Stevenson (Maybrick,Chapman cases,etc).
                    Strongly suspect this was part of the basis for RLS' novella.

HG Sutton had the skill and motivation if all five were blackmailing him.

Have a look at the time frame and movements of The Five.

He traveled home along Hanbury,Spital Square,Primrose,etc to Finsbury Square where Gull had once lived next door.

Probably had chalk in his pocket the weekend before start of teaching term.
                    Height and ability to write in a neat schoolboy hand in limited light.

You would be aware of WE Gladstone's letter to The Times about Jack the Ripper.
                    WEG and Sir William Withey Gull were both in the same club/think tank.

Reckon George Phillips knew Sutton and had a very good idea what was going on.

Quite frankly,I seriously doubt this was the great secret Ripperologists surmise.

If anyone seriously examines the facts,I'll be happy to reply.
                    Otherwise,I do not have the time as I am seriously and chronically ill.
                    Last edited by DJA; 01-15-2017, 05:48 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Except for his age
                      And what age was Mary Kelly's friend George Hutchinson?

Comment

Reckon Jack's friend was.....gotta take off my shoes to do sum cipherin'.....22.
                        Toppy was around the same age,by memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
                          Thanks MS. Have you made any progress tracing him outside of this casual ward entry? I think some thought the workhouse groom might be Cottage Grove Hutchinson as he corresponded in age; the 1887 watch stealer who liked horses Research showed that Cottage Grove Hutchinson's actual name was George Hutchison, without an 'n'. While the workhouse records may have simply spelt it wrongly, his signature on the police statements clearly say Hutchinson and his signature on his Freedom of the City application is very different to the police statement signature.
                          Nothing concrete as yet - the number of people with this name clouds the issue. Obviously it would be good to pin down one with a sister in Romford.

Comment

A/ We donīt know what a military bearing is - or so Iīm told.

B/ Some say it is a straight back, nothing more.

C/ Either way, anybody could have had it.

He apparently did NOT live at the Victoria Home, by the way.

As for the unemployed business, that was what Reg said, and he was not around at the time. He would have spoken of later days.
                            If you had any military training you would understand the term.
                            I do.

Also tend to doubt the Victoria Home story,given he was standing outside the Commercial Street Chambers at 15 - 20 Dorset Street.
                            Reminds me of The Ten Bells....oops.....Queens Head bit in his statement.

Comment

Commercial Street Chambers/Crossingham's was owned by William Crossingham of Romford.
                              Last edited by DJA; 01-15-2017, 07:45 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Reckon Jack's friend was.....gotta take off my shoes to do sum cipherin'.....22.
                                Toppy was around the same age,by memory.
                                So it's just a "reckon" then. The facts don't fit Toppy so no point assuming an age of 22.

33 is as good as any.

Comment

Working...
                                X