X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hatchett
    replied
    Hello Fish and all,

Memory is all to do with points of recall, like sign posts on a long road. There were definate signposts on Hutchinsons part of that particular road. The brutal murder of a friend, the Lord Mayor's Show, etc.

Another point to remember is that he himself went to the Police. In order to do that he must have believed himself that he could remember everything.

Your argument is only valid if Hutchinson himself said that he couldnt remember. In fact he never said such a thing.

He gave a police statement of things that he could remember. Surelly, he should have known.

Best wishes.

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied
    Sally:

"Degrees, you see."

Yes. Degrees. That is what it is all about.

"You may not be able to recount everything you did yesterday minute by minute with exactitude ..."

Exactly - some things will stick, others wonīt. And predicting which will do which is not an easy task.

" ...but are you saying you wouldn't be able to provide an accurate, fairly detailed account of what you did in the morning, afternoon and evening?"

Not when it comes to yesterday, no. I can tell most of what I did - but I cannot be all that detailed always. I donīt remember exactly what I had for breakfast, for instance. Sandwiches, I guess, it is almost always the case with me, but what I had on them...? Nope. But I do know that I got up early and woke my kids after some time, then taking off for job. I went to have my hair cut at 16.30, and from there I went to a student party. After that, I went home, and went to bed at around midnight.
    I can vividly remember what I ate at the party (yummie!), and I can tell what people I met and talked to, and about what we talked. Small bits will be lost, though.

But when I move another day back in time, it becomes a lot more sketchy. And moving two, three, four days back, I am having serious trouble remembering and getting things right.

Thats how I work. And as you correctly state, itīs all about degrees; others will work differently. Some will remember things easily, some will drop very much. And none of us can say anything at all about the sequential memory capacity of George Hutchinson. The case remains open, thus, and the possibilities too.

The best,
    Fisherman

Leave a comment:

• Phil H
    replied
    Sally

I think one of the reasons some of us could reconstruct from memory what happened over the past few days is routine. That may not work for everyone - but know my memory. recollection of facts etc is heavily based on a mental "pigeon-hole" system.

I can say I travelled to work by bus (I do that every day), but I might have trouble recalling whether I had a longer/shorter wait than usual at the stop on a particular day. I usually stop off for a coffee mid-way to work, but I would not guarantee i could say which of the Costa Coffee team served me on Monday? (It would be a guess).

I am unsure whether someone with a less structured life would be helped or hindered by the fact that each day was different?

Phil

Leave a comment:

• Sally
    replied
    Think that's misleading Fish (not saying you are being misleading, I hasten to add)

Degrees, you see. You may not be able to recount everything you did yesterday minute by minute with exactitude; but are you saying you wouldn't be able to provide an accurate, fairly detailed account of what you did in the morning, afternoon and evening?

I would. I would argue that most people could.

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied
    Versa:

"How far back did you get?"

If you ask me how far back I can nail all the things I have done on a day, I would say that I cannot do so a single day back. If you ask me how far back I can remember isolated events and things, I can do so decades back in time.

And thatīs the snag.

The best,
    Fisherman

Leave a comment:

• Versa
    replied
    Originally posted by Fisherman View Post

Iīm sure that some would, yes. But I am equally certain that not ALL people will be get it right.

And that is not exactly rocket science.

The best,
    Fisherman

How far back did you get?

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied
    Versa:

"Even living a vagabond lifestyle I'm sure a 22-28yr old would be able to clearly recall 3 days back ESPECIALLY when that day included a very long walk and the brutal murder of an acquaintance."

Iīm sure that some would, yes. But I am equally certain that not ALL people will be get it right.

And that is not exactly rocket science.

The best,
    Fisherman

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied
    Ruby:

"What's more he MUST (Fish ! -"MUST" !) have heard about MJK's murder mere hours after it occurred, since he was lodging in such close proximity."

Then I must have heard what was said in the town of Helsingborg this morning too, since I live here. Trouble is, Ruby, that I WORK sixty kilometres away, in Malmö, which is why I never hear the talk of Helsingborg town in the mornings.

It is no stranger than this - but you constantly fail to realize it, instead claiming a "must" that is completely ludicruous. Just saying, Ruby.

Pedagogically yours,
    Fisherman

Leave a comment:

• Versa
    replied
    The point that it makes is that very few of us are unable to recall 3 days back and most of us can go back considerably further. I'm 38 and while I do forget to do things from time to time I am quite able to recall quite boring days with very little effort.

Even living a vagabond lifestyle I'm sure a 22-28yr old would be able to clearly recall 3 days back ESPECIALLY when that day included a very long walk and the brutal murder of an acquaintance.

Leave a comment:

• richardnunweek
    replied
    Hi,
    My memory goes back to around 830 pm one weekday night.. I fail on the year I estimate 1973-4, I was sitting on my Aunts sofa alone, listening to the radio , feeling rather exited that I was listening to a programme about Hutchinsons statement, I remember that the broadcast lasted until 840pm, and approx two thirds into the broadcast, it gave a audio from the son of the witness Hutchinson.
    As that was the same story as told by the late Reg Hutchinson, there can be little doubt that he took part in that broadcast in one way or another.
    My memory does not fail me there it is implanted forever.
    Does that prove anything... to me Yes.. to others No , but as we are talking about memory,I could not resist repeating my party piece.
    Regards Richard.

Leave a comment:

• babybird67
    replied
    you also have to factor in...

the fact that Hutchinson stated he followed Mary with Astrakhan precisely because he was suspicious for some reason...so his attention was drawn to her and he spent a lengthy vigil monitoring the situation. Of his own volition.

Something must have struck him as out of the ordinary for him to do this.

For him then to confuse the day this happened, a mere few days after experiencing it, doesn't make sense.

Leave a comment:

• Sally
    replied
    Agree with Babybird

Too many extraordinary events to fix the day, as discussed at some length in the 'Wrong Night' thread.

I tried the memory test. I got back to last Thursday without too much trouble; it got a bit hazy after that. I can't remember without thinking about it what I did a couple of weeks ago.

Leave a comment:

• lynn cates
    replied
    me too

Hello Phil

"I can have almost photographic recall of something that happened 40 years ago, and a very hazy recollection of yesterday or the day before."

Precisely. Describes me too. I think it is a function of old age.

Cheers.
    LC

Leave a comment:

• Rubyretro
    replied
    I have to agree with babybird.

Whilst Fisherman and Phil are quite correct, Hutchinson had some fairly momentous out-of-the-ordinary events to help him fix 'time'. I'd even add
    market day in Petticoat Lane.

He doesn't come over in the Press, nor in his Police statement as a dippy dreamer -he seems rather to be very sure of himself.

I can't believe that he'd get his days mixed up over this event.

What's more he MUST (Fish ! -"MUST" !) have heard about MJK's murder mere hours after it occurred, since he was lodging in such close proximity. Since Fish pointed out the monotony and
    stress of Hutch's everyday life, the 'excitement' of such an unusual murder -of a friend of his !-
    can hardly have escaped him.
    Last edited by Rubyretro; 06-08-2011, 06:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Phil H
    replied
    In my experience, memory can be a tricksy thing.

I can have almost photographic recall of something that happened 40 years ago, and a very hazy recollection of yesterday or the day before.

I might know broadly what i did last week - even without consulting a diary - but might well not recall if I saw a colleague on a particular day, or whether they were in or out of the office.

If there is some reference point - a key or dramatic event - that can help. For instance I can remember vividly quite a lot of 11 September 2001 (or 9/11 I suppose) AFTER we heard of the plane crashing into the twin towers in mid-afternoon UK time. I can recall conversations that afternoon almost word for word, where people were, and my thoughts. But I couldn't tell you a thing about the morning - just another day in the office.

I'd tend to agree with Fisherman that a vagabond life is probably one in which time flows past most days but I have no way of knowing. It could be that high-points stand out more vividly.

Phil

Leave a comment:

Working...
X