No announcement yet.

Hutch in the 1911 Census?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't see how it can be claimed that only the people with differing views to your own must be the ones with the agenda, Mike. Surely your opponents can claim precisely the same about you - that you don't want the ripper to be Hutchinson, so your bias is leading you to identify Hutchinson incorrectly as an innocuous violin-player. "Suspects" don't come into this at all, as far as I'm concerned. Others may disagree, but Toppy really doesn't impact upon that question at all for me.

Best regards,
    Ben

Comment

• oh god, here we go yet again, another 20 pages of mud slinging

Comment

• oooo....mud-slinging...

<fetches bikini and starts to get changed>

c'mon Crystal...wanna play?

bb x
        babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

• anecdotally...

on signatures in general, speaking from personal experience, my married sig started off with all the letters of my name in it...it was always small, but since then (over 20 years) it has contracted and become ever smaller and smaller so that presently it consists mainly of my first initial and surname initial with a little wiggly bit that hints there might have been more letters once upon a time! The only consistency is the squiggle underneath it, which goes from left to right back to left again. I always get anxious in shops in case i can't sign my own sig for some reason! Wonder if this is more common for girls as they change surnames in a way men usually don't.

Also, just as a funny story, when my hubby and i were dating, we had gone to his bank to cash a cheque (remember those?) It was really odd. The cashier looked at him and said, "could you sign again please," which he duly did. This still wasn't enough to satisfy her so she had him sign a few more times. She then went and got the supervisor and explained what was going on.

The supervisor showed him the sig they had for him on record (what a security breach!) and actually gave it to him, leaving it on the counter for him to copy!!!! Her exact words were, "Can you try to sign a bit more like that."

They obviously knew my husband was the genuine account holder as we used it regularly, yet for some reason on this occasion they would not accept his sig. Obviously if they believed he was not the account holder i presume they would have just locked down his account and maybe called the police? It was unbelievable at the time, and still is looking back.

Neither myself nor my hubby could see any perceptible difference between his sigs that day and his usual sigs...they wouldn't give us his money though!!

bb x
          babybird

George Sand

Comment

• hi Mike

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
            Infant Avian,

The problem with many on the opposite side is that they take into consideration first their own opinions about a suspect, and then, when attempting to understand, in second-hand fashion, the words of an expert in forgery, the results become skewed in favor of their already formed opinion. The rest of us, who have no agenda, have used our eyes in a more judicial manner. If eyesight were the sole factor, I believe all of us with 20/20 vision (though mine is better) would have to come to the same conclusion, or at least the vast, unbiased majority.

Mike
            Oh i LOVE that name...infant avian...thank you, how sweet. (that is a serious thank you by the way...it's nice when someone gives you a nickname)

I have to say though...do you really think the rest of us have no agenda? Bias creeps in everywhere doesn't it, in terms of perception? I've never had a problem with my eyes, have never needed glasses or anything else.

What is factual is that we are all receiving the same sensory information in terms of looking, but coming to different conclusions because of bias/viewpoint that perhaps we aren't even aware of until someone points it out...even those who think that they aren't. That's how bias works...kind of gets you unawares, a bit like a stalker you think you've shaken streets ago.

I have no agenda regarding Hutch the witness or Toppy the person...it doesn't bother me either way...i don't have a theory yet about who i think JtR was etc...so i am looking with my eyes and just interpreting differences as reasons why the sigs don't match, whereas you are doing the opposite.

I think you have to accept that because evaluations are different when people look at/receive the same sensory information, eyesight alone is not sufficient to claim as decisive in announcing a match.

sorry...but that's just what i think

i'm off to read the Tabram as 1st victim thread...on reading the few books i have about JtR i have always had a gut feeling she was the first...guess that will predispose me to prioritise the information which confirms this view...

bb x
            babybird

George Sand

Comment

• Originally posted by babybird67 View Post
              <fetches bikini and starts to get changed> c'mon Crystal...wanna play? bb x
              BB! Just try and stop me!

Comment

• Uh Oh, Sam Flynn-Looks to me like you're on the wrong side of the River...!

Comment

• Originally posted by Crystal View Post
                  Uh Oh, Sam Flynn-Looks to me like you're on the wrong side of the River...!
                  Better that, than to allow my opinions to sell me down the river.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• hi Sam

what does your Neitzsche quote mean?

bb x
                    babybird

George Sand

Comment

• Hi BB,
                      Originally posted by babybird67 View Post
                      what does your Neitzsche quote mean?
                      The full quote translates to: "You seek power? You seek to multiply yourself by ten, a hundred... a thousand? Then seek zeroes." It's a play on words. In the same sense that one can give the illusion of increasing the "power" of a number by adding zeroes onto it (e.g. 1 + 000 = 1,000), a person who craves power can recruit "zeroes" - or "nobodies" - to support his cause. Nietzsche was a perceptive and acerbic commentator on human behaviour!

"Suche Nullen", appropriated as my "motto" for Ripperology, embodies my strong conviction that we should be looking for a "nobody". Don't expect to find me championing the cause of a "celebrity suspect", on that basis
                      Last edited by Sam Flynn; 04-22-2009, 01:04 AM.
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• thank you Sam

very interesting...thanks for taking the time to explain the quotation as well as translate it (are you Welsh by the way?)

you know i was thinking just the other day, what if JtR is NONE of the suspects, and is such a nobody as you mention. How ironic for us all to be spending such efforts trying to discover his identity.

pretty much sums up the futility of human endeavour

oops i am having a glass half empty moment! Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible!

bb x
                        babybird

George Sand

Comment

very interesting...thanks for taking the time to explain the quotation as well as translate it
                          Mon plaisir, BB!
                          are you Welsh by the way?
                          Yes - I'm also a nobody, so I'm true to my principles
                          you know i was thinking just the other day, what if JtR is NONE of the suspects, and is such a nobody as you mention.
                          Don't forget that there are "nobodies" amongst the known suspects, too. Like "Me Laddo" the Dorset Street witness, whose signature matches those of George William Topping Hutchinson, for example.

And with that, ladeez'n'gennlemen... I give you back the thread.
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                            Mon plaisir, BB!Yes - I'm also a nobody, so I'm true to my principles Don't forget that there are "nobodies" amongst the known suspects, too. Like "Me Laddo" the Dorset Street witness, whose signature matches those of George William Topping Hutchinson, for example.

And with that, ladeez'n'gennlemen... I give you back the thread.
                            hahaha i am sure you are not a nobody! And nicely done...getting the Toppy bit in!

diolch

bb xx
                            babybird

George Sand

Comment

you know i was thinking just the other day, what if JtR is NONE of the suspects, and is such a nobody as you mention. How ironic for us all to be spending such efforts trying to discover his identity.

bb x

well, if he's a nobody then we're totally f*****

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                                Don't expect to find me championing the cause of a "celebrity suspect", on that basis
                                So just an unknown Welshman as murderer? Okay, I'm with you on that.

Mike
                                huh?

Comment

Working...
                                X