Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any updates, or opinions on this witness.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
    One mention of hutch and it’s Bedlam, La La land and lech threads on steroids combined.
    Although I really miss him, it's just as well that Ben Holme isn't around these days. Steroids wouldn't even come close!
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hi,
      There is a picture of Topping in The Ripper and The Royals., Ivor Edwards mentioned that this photograph was displayed at Reg Hutchinson's place when he visited him and his wife many years ago .
      There is little dispute that His father was a man named George Hutchinson.
      Regards Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by packers stem View Post
        The statement you refer to was a blanket statement passed to the press association by the police .
        He was never interviewed by a reporter
        There are two statements, one to the police...

and one to a Central News reporter who interviewed Hutchinson at the Victoria Home...
        Almost halfway down the page, a section entitled - WHITECHAPEL.
        STORY OF THE MAN WHO SAW KELLY WITH A "GENTLEMAN."

The police also issued a brief description of Astrachan which appeared in a number of newspapers on the 13th.
        This official release forms most of the first paragraph on this page...
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
          There are two statements, one to the police...

and one to a Central News reporter who interviewed Hutchinson at the Victoria Home...
          Almost halfway down the page, a section entitled - WHITECHAPEL.
          STORY OF THE MAN WHO SAW KELLY WITH A "GENTLEMAN."

The police also issued a brief description of Astrachan which appeared in a number of newspapers on the 13th.
          This official release forms most of the first paragraph on this page...
          http://www.casebook.org/press_report.../18881113.html
          Most newspapers call it a ' statement' not an interview .... I tend to agree
          It was released word for word to every newspaper .
          There's no 'journalistic' commentary , just a statement
          You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
            Hi,
            There is a picture of Topping in The Ripper and The Royals., Ivor Edwards mentioned that this photograph was displayed at Reg Hutchinson's place when he visited him and his wife many years ago .
            There is little dispute that His father was a man named George Hutchinson.
            Regards Richard.
            Oh Richard
            You know you can't mention that as it would have to be mentioned that Reg said his dad said it was something to do with Randolph Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
              Although I really miss him, it's just as well that Ben Holme isn't around these days. Steroids wouldn't even come close!
              I do to. But he’s enjoying life right now. I think he’s got better things to do then wallow in hell with the rest of us lost souls. Lol.
              "Is all that we see or seem
              but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
              quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

The statement you refer to was a blanket statement passed to the press association by the police .
                He was never interviewed by a reporter
                What?!?
                He was interviewed by a CNA reporter.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

What?!?
                  He was interviewed by a CNA reporter.
                  Eeeerrrmm
                  According to who ?
                  How much was he paid do you think ?
                  A story that big he could have sold to the highest bidder yet he gives it to the central news and they give it to everyone else ?
                  For a fella out of work for how many weeks not to make a few pennies out of it would be madness ..... wouldn't it ?

Comment

Eeeerrrmm
                    According to who ?
                    A story that big he could have sold to the highest bidder yet he gives it to the central news and they give it to everyone else ?
                    For a fella out of work for how many weeks not to make a few pennies out of it would be madness ..... wouldn't it ?
                    I’m out. Good luck stem

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

I’m out. Good luck stem
                      You too 😊

Comment

Eeeerrrmm
                        According to who ?
                        "The Central News has interviewed the man named George Hutchinson, formerly a groom, and now a labourer, and was acquainted with the murdered woman Kelly....etc..etc...."
                        Dundee Couirer, Wednesday 14th Nov. 1888.

I might guess that you are not familiar with how news was distributed by agencies.
                        The police used the Central News as their primary outlet for official statements. The CNA sold their stories by telegraph, this is why you sometimes see the same story appear in various morning papers at the same time.
                        Some papers then edit the story to fit the column, and others will embellish a story, before publishing.
                        Evening papers like the Star, Evening News, Pall Mall Gazette, etc. often copied their evening stories from the dailies, a cheaper way to get news. Cheaper than buying it from an agency.

Hutchinson may, or may not have been paid. The price of a couple of drinks is all that might be expected.
                        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

You guess incorrectly Jon
                          I'm well aware how some stories were distributed .
                          Nothing of what you say there has altered my opinion , like you say , the police used the central news .
                          I'm not sure the Dundee courier would have been fully aware of how any statement was obtained ...nor would they care .
                          The majority of newspapers were saying they had received a statement

Comment

I'm not sure the Dundee courier would have been fully aware of how any statement was obtained ...nor would they care .
                            I counted eight different newspapers which carried that same story, I wasn't about to quote from all of them :-)
                            I thought one example should suffice.
                            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                              I counted eight different newspapers which carried that same story, I wasn't about to quote from all of them :-)
                              I thought one example should suffice.
                              Oh dear
                              Well , it all depends how they interpreted what their arrival was .
                              I'm sure you could find more than eight that would say "we have received a statement" or words to that effect
                              Its not an argument that can be won Jon , I'll leave it there 😉
                              Nick

Comment

Oh dear
                                Well , it all depends how they interpreted what their arrival was .
                                I'm sure you could find more than eight that would say "we have received a statement" or words to that effect
                                Its not an argument that can be won Jon , I'll leave it there 😉
                                Nick
                                Some interesting news pieces can be had from papers outside London. Reports that never see light of day in the city, where papers compete for space, are to be found in the counties where column space is not at a premium.

One particular report about Bowyer who met Kelly with a respectably dressed man in the court on the Wednesday night before the murder was found by Paul Begg (if I'm not mistaken?), in a Welsh newspaper - The Western Mail.
                                We shouldn't expect that if the London papers don't carry a report then it didn't happen. Thats another flawed assumption I've come across on Casebook.

It doesn't matter what part of the country the newspaper is from, they all got their news of the murder by telegraph. So there is no basis for arguing that some place up north couldn't report an accurate story.
                                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                                X