Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RockySullivan
    replied
    While I'm not seeing the signature similarities, this Richard Blake makes an interesting suspect! It sounds like he confessed whenever he got drunk and then realized he was a fool when he sobered up and took it back. How did he know about the first murder? He lived nearby? What if he was the murderer? I wouldn't put it past police to bungle it so bad and let the murdered go on two occasions

Leave a comment:

• MysterySinger
    replied
    The Chester connection leads me to think this is the same Richard Blake - seems he caused havoc wherever he ventured.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Same chap charged at Rotherham a month later for being Drunk sent to Wakefield for 7 days....Same details.

Pat...

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    West Yorkshire, England, Prison Records, 1801-1914

Not Sure if this is the same chap?

Richard Blake charged with being Drunk and disorderly 29th March 1885 at Huddersfield. I believe he either was remanded to the prison there or maybe he paid not sure, although it is headed Wakefield Prison. Charged with 10 days or pay 18/10
    Details given:
    Born 1855 in Chester, 5 foot high, Brown hair. Cut on right thumb and bridge of nose. religion: Church? profession: Labourer

Pat.....

Leave a comment:

• MysterySinger
    replied
    I believe he may have had associations with Stone and at least one other asylum.

Leave a comment:

• Pcdunn
    replied
    Hi, Mystery Singer, wow, that's a wide range of behaviors. Blake seems to have been a manic-depressive, what we now call being bipolar.

Surprised he wasn't in a lunatic asylum, especially after the somersault in the dock. To say nothing of claiming to come from a star!

Leave a comment:

• MysterySinger
    replied
    Having seen the amount of news reports concerning Richard Blake, and assuming all relate to the same person (which on the face of it I would believe most do), this man was severely of unsound mind. I suspect asylum records might provide some more insight into his character but I'm not sure how best to access these - any takers?

If all are our man then, in addition to what's been written above....

*he confessed to a murder in Notting Hill
    *threatened to throw himself off Blackfriars Bridge
    *claimed that the pure blood of the Royal House of the Stuarts flowed in his veins
    *was caught travelling to Derby by train without a rail ticket
    *was drunk and disorderly in only trousers and shoes
    *claimed to have dropped down from a star
    "turned somersault in a court dock

I'm actually wondering now whether someone of this mind could have thought up the story provided by George Hutchinson but maybe he could if sober.

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    Originally posted by MysterySinger View Post
    Not conclusive by any means, but here is a comparison of Richard's signature with that of George Hutchinson on one of his statements. The dot of the i is markedly to the right on both and the small r seems identical. Not much to go on though here.
    Definitely similar.

The problem is none of those three GH signs are the same!?!

So itís hard to make anything of it. But perhaps the reason is because itís not his real name therefore of course itís going to be different!

However, I lean to think that witness GH is the Aussie GH from Stephens article.

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    Originally posted by MysterySinger View Post
    Not conclusive by any means, but here is a comparison of Richard's signature with that of George Hutchinson on one of his statements. The dot of the i is markedly to the right on both and the small r seems identical. Not much to go on though here.
    Youíd need way more than a dot on an i one (Blakeís) being more of a dash anyway.

Leave a comment:

• MysterySinger
    replied
    Bermondsey 1881

Note his occupation and details of his sister.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• MysterySinger
    replied
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• MysterySinger
    replied
    Thanks for your comments. It is possible that Richard Blake died in 1889 but at this stage I can't be sure. Trees on Ancestry sometimes have information added that is speculative but is then confirmed later where possible (I do this myself at times). I have to say that the Richard Blake who was summonsed in 1890 for being drunk and disorderly does sound like our man and contributes to unsurety about his date of death.

It is true that Hannah Blake was with her daughter Maria Corrigan on the 1881 Census but I've failed to locate her in 1871 for some reason. Hannah/Anastasia did die in 1890 and I believe was still living with her daughter in Shaw, Oldham at the time.

I suspect that Richard may have given a number of different occupations at his workhouse visits. It's for certain that in a July 1881 Bermondsey Workhouse admission he gave his occupation once again as groom and his nearest relative as Maria Corrigan at Rochdale. Yet presumably he was still married at this point to Elizabeth Blake.

From an 1883 workhouse admission it seems that there may have been some connection between Elizabeth Blake and a Mission House Convent at Notting Hill. Has anyone heard of that place? Is it the same as the Carmalite Convent with the connections to France?

Leave a comment:

• Pcdunn
    replied
    Very interesting, MysterySinger. I noticed at once the mention of "walked from Romford", and wondered about our old friend George H.

But the difference in occupations between the Blake who confessed to killing Roberts (licensed pedlar) and the one who confessed to being Jack the Ripper (groom, like George)-- these make me wonder if Hutchinson was just using the alias "Blake."

Perhaps both his names are aliases? People of the area seemed to change names frequently. Maybe we don't really know George's real name.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    To MysterySinger....

I too find Hutchinson alias Blake familiar,
    Was it on the Australian police notices?

Pat....

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    I think I saw that Richard Blake died in 1889?

Richard Blake abt 1855 Jul-Aug-Sep 1889 Wandsworth London

Found on a tree with Anastasia and Amos as Parents...

Pat...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X