No announcement yet.

So why did he stop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we KNEW why he stopped, we would probably be a lot closer to knowing who he was.

But if we knew who he was would be even closer to knowing why he stopped.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

The most oft quoted reasons for JtR stopping are of course:

1. Arrest and incarceration for another crime, or even execution.
      2. Natural death.
      3. Being committed to a lunatic asylum.
      4. Emigrating abroad.
      5. Committed suicide.

Perhaps other less likely reasons are:

1. Whitechapel simply got too hot for him. Too many police and vigilance patrols and too few whores.
      2. Being utterly sated after his antics in 13 Miller Court.
      3. Somebody within his community knew he was the killer and blackmailed him but didn't grass on him, most likely if he was a Jew, or perhaps a family member.
      4. He'd set a target and had reached it.
      5. The last kidney he ate disagreed with him badly.

Comment

Have a look at the Kemper case and you'll get closer to the solution.

Comment

other

Hello All. Voted other--he never started.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Interesting that no one believes that JTR moved onto pastures new. I take it Trevor hasn't voted?

Comment

I voted sent away to a prison/asylum. Second choice would be moved location. I don't buy he simply stopped be it for personal or external reasons. (blackmail or what have you) Death is of course another possibility, but i think suicide is quite unlikely. My guess is a few of those who voted suicide believe it was Druitt.

Comment

I said stopped on his own accord but that doesn't mean that I think he just woke up one day and decided that he'd had enough. In other words, there was some reason although we won't know what that reason was. Perhaps he was scared straight by a near capture, fell in love and channeled his emotions elsewhere, joined the priesthood, became a mercenary or any number of other things.
                This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

One option not given is that he may have become too feeble to continue, through accident or illness.

Of course the true answer is "He Died" 'cause sure as shooting after 125+ years he ain't still kicking.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                    Hello All. Voted other--he never started.

Cheers.
                    LC
                    That's extreme, Lynn.
                    You could say : "sent to an asylum after two murders."

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                      I said stopped on his own accord but that doesn't mean that I think he just woke up one day and decided that he'd had enough. In other words, there was some reason although we won't know what that reason was. Perhaps he was scared straight by a near capture, fell in love and channeled his emotions elsewhere, joined the priesthood, became a mercenary or any number of other things.
                      If any film makers are reading the forum you can't pass this idea by.

When Jack Met Sally.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                        One option not given is that he may have become too feeble to continue, through accident or illness.

Of course the true answer is "He Died" 'cause sure as shooting after 125+ years he ain't still kicking.
                        Hi GUT,

Most likely you are right, and he is long gone - but don't forget that episode on the "Star Trek" series where he actually has survived into the age of Captain Kirk and the U.S.S. Enterprise, and is continuing his crimes.

Jeff

Comment

he fell in love.
                          Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
                          - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Could it be that the high price of shawls forced him to pack it in.
                            Last edited by pinkmoon; 12-05-2014, 11:43 AM.
                            Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
                              Could it be that the high price of shawls forced him to pack it in.
                              G U T

Comment

Working...
                              X