Jacob The Ripper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I must hand it to you.

Hello Greg. If this were a meeting between Kate and Jacob, is there any significance attaching to her hand on his chest?

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

• Meaningless gesture...

Hello Greg. If this were a meeting between Kate and Jacob, is there any significance attaching to her hand on his chest?
      In a word my answer would be no Lynn. Maybe she was still a little drunk and hungover and hungry and thirsty and had to pee etc. and she just lost her balance for a second. Or perhaps, she knew this fellow and they had altercations before, my guess is they were more likely carnal than intellectual but perhaps they were members of the Shakespearean society or a cabal of Prussian spies, we don't know. But I don't think we should put too much heed on this gesture as I've seen many an intoxicated female put hands on others when it had little meaning other than whatever banality it had.

I think we tend to read too much into things when we have so little some 124 years removed.

I still find Joseph Levy's testimony perplexing and I for one question Lawende's as well. Heaven forbid!

Greg

Comment

• posture

Hello Greg. Thanks. Not sure it was just a second. She was talking to him in that posture.

Does it seem to you that, at least, she sensed no danger and felt comfortable with the bloke?

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

• Seen this bloke before...

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
          Hello Greg. Thanks. Not sure it was just a second. She was talking to him in that posture.

Does it seem to you that, at least, she sensed no danger and felt comfortable with the bloke?

Cheers.
          LC
          Yes indeed Lynn, it seems to suggest familiarity. But that could mean anything; a friend, returning customer or mad Prussian hit man, right!

Of course we must always throw out the caveat - if indeed that was Eddowes that was witnessed...

Greg

Comment

• . Not sure it was just a second. She was talking to him in that posture.

I am not really sure your point Lynn?

Putting it bluntly, she was a prostitute looking to 'turn a trick' she wouldn't get far if couldn't manage a pretence of affection.

Tracy
            It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

• Hi Greg

Of course we must always throw out the caveat - if indeed that was Eddowes that was witnessed...
              I agree, even taking the witness statements out to of the equation he is still a strong contender. The link to Joseph is just one of a few facts that make Jacob interesting.

Tracy

Comment

• Caged...

Originally posted by tji View Post
                Hi Greg

I agree, even taking the witness statements out to of the equation he is still a strong contender. The link to Joseph is just one of a few facts that make Jacob interesting.

Tracy
                Agreed Tracy. The witness statements are ultimately unreliable.

Another thing I find intriguing is "he was caged in an asylum and died shortly thereafter"..............just as our Jacob....

Greg

Comment

• hop to it

Hello Greg. Agreed with all but "the returning customer." Isn't the standard line that she had been picking hops in Kent?

And, yes, we really don't know that was a "Kate sighting."

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

• vocation

Hello TJ. We must disagree about Kate's vocation. Even IF she were a casual prostitute seeking to get back to work after her "hopping interlude" choosing that time and place for it would have been far from optimal.

Looks like she is meeting someone.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                      We must disagree about Kate's vocation. Even IF she were a casual prostitute seeking to get back to work after her "hopping interlude" choosing that time and place for it would have been far from optimal.
                      There was nothing optimal in the lives of the Unfortunates of Whitechapel.

Looks like she is meeting someone.
                      I disagree, Lynn. She was incarcerated half the evening. This was no arranged meeting.

Roy
                      Sink the Bismark

Comment

• Conjecture

Originally posted by Jimi View Post
                        Hi All

All he knew was that his cousin, who he must have known had a mental disorder and a criminal record, looked to be cheating on his wife with a prostitute.

Jimi
                        Hi Jimi,

This is an example of what I meant when I wrote of building a case with conjecture (& I do it as well!). Where is the evidence that Levy was looking at his cousin? You have speculated on that as a possibility, which is fair enough; but to then build on that as though it were fact is highly questionable.

I agree that this is only my opinion but I suspect that I'm not alone in holding it. Your man, Levy's cousin, is the sort of person I would expect JtR to be, but that's a million miles from being evidence that Levy & JtR are the same individual (in my opinion). If he is JtR, however, as you think, I hope you do find the evidence to prove it.

Good luck with your research.

Best Wishes, Bridewell.
                        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• I Agree

Originally posted by DVV View Post
                          He did get it, but too late - and decided afterwards Mrs Long was the only reliable witness.

I entirely agree with you about the reliability of Mrs Long. What I find particularly reassuring about her evidence is that, where she is unsure (e.g. the age of the man & the colour of his coat) she says as much. In my view that adds to the value of the points of which she expresses certainty (the time and the woman's identity).

What is your source for Abberline's change of mind btw? I am emphatically not doubting your word on this, but I may wish to allude to it (Abberline's change of heart) at some future date.

Regards, Bridewell
                          I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Hi Bridewell

I believe you have misunderstood the reply Jimi gave to you if you are highlighting this quote.

In his post to you he is giving you a scenario to expand on his point he made

"Why those characters?"

His following description of which you partly quoted is to explain his point not a statement of fact.

As I said in a previous post, take the witness statement out and Jacob is still a strong suspect.

You have speculated on that as a possibility, which is fair enough; but to then build on that as though it were fact is highly questionable.
                            I do think this is slightly insulting, we have never tried to put anything forward without being able to back it up. It is the nature of the boards to hypothesise and conjecture. I wouldn't have thought we would have had to specify every single time that we did it.

I agree that this is only my opinion but I suspect that I'm not alone in holding it. Your man, Levy's cousin, is the sort of person I would expect JtR to be, but that's a million miles from being evidence that Levy & JtR are the same individual (in my opinion).
                            We have never said we had evidence that Levy was Jack.

Good luck with your research

Thank you

Tracy

Comment

• Who buys the drinks?

Hello Roy. Thanks.

Any idea who funded her drinks?

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

• Hi Lynn

I have to agree with Roy, on both points, they took what they could get.

I would imagine anyone who was willing to fund them.

Tracy

Comment

Working...
                                X