X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzi
    replied
    Hi Christine
    I recall seeing that image in quite a few places...sure it's in my A-Z,but as I'm at work at the mo I can't be sure (Oddly I don't have it on me!). Somebody will know where it's from I'm sure maybe it came from a sort of mug shot book- that's my guess.

Suzi x

Leave a comment:

• Christine
    replied
    These look like they were cut down from a set of larger images. Does anyone know where the original images come from? A book, perhaps?

Leave a comment:

• Stephen Thomas
    replied
    Originally posted by Suzi View Post
    A 'portico thief' was the name given to a burglar who would climb onto the portico of a house in order to gain access from that vantage point. (Sort of like a cat-burglar!)
    Thanks for that Suzi!

The blushing bride she looks divine
    The bridegroom he is doing fine
    I'd rather have his job than mine
    When I'm portico thieving

Leave a comment:

• Sam Flynn
    replied
    Originally posted by Suzi View Post
    Hi Ben
    Re: The Old Bailey case below- I see that an employee at the muffler shop (!) was one Joseph Prater!!
    ... dark Dids are afoot!

Leave a comment:

• Suzi
    replied
    As a by the by -Number 16- one George Williams.

Just been trawling the Old Bailey records-

A George Williams was greviously assulted by one John Mason on 9th January 1882. This George Williams was described as a porter,residing at 16,Great Garden Street, Whitechapel.

Leave a comment:

• Suzi
    replied
    Hi Ben
    Re: The Old Bailey case below- I see that an employee at the muffler shop (!) was one Joseph Prater!!

Suz x
    Last edited by Suzi; 05-14-2009, 05:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• halomanuk
    replied
    Funny we should be talking about breaking and entering but following on from the #9 picture that looks like the name John Small,there is a case in 1882 of a John Small,30 years old,who was caught breaking and entering with 3 other accomplices :

Concidence ? he would have been 36 in 1888.

Makes me wonder if the picture we are looking at are all conmen and burglars/thieves rather than anything more than that - Ostrog would definately fit into that category.
    Last edited by halomanuk; 05-14-2009, 04:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• The Good Michael
    replied
    Suzi,

But I wasn't stealing anything. I was just taking pictures from the portico... naughty ones.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• Suzi
    replied
    Hi all -

A 'portico thief' was the name given to a burglar who would climb onto the portico of a house in order to gain access from that vantage point. (Sort of like a cat-burglar!)

Sadly not a dealer in second hand porticos! (Psssst Got a lovely marble number going cheap!)

See Charles Peace, who was described thus.

Suz x

Leave a comment:

• halomanuk
    replied
    Mind you,have any of you seen the eyes on #9 ??
    Now those eyes hold some secrets behind them...the name looks like John Small ?

Leave a comment:

• Samuelson1982
    replied
    That's funny because that's exactly how I felt about #16, but #12 looks creepy too. I thought it may be worth looking at the criminals of the time, maybe the police back then overlooked one of them that could fit as a plausible suspect. Although, many serial killers have never been in trouble with the law before and seem completely normal.

Leave a comment:

• Archaic
    replied
    Bachelor #12

Originally posted by Ben View Post
    A William Fredericks appears in the Old Bailey records:
    As potential suspects go, I'm more concerned about Hannibal Lector in window #12!
    Best regards, Ben
    Hi, Ben; I totally agree with what you said: Bachelor #12 jumped out at me too - Thank God, not literally!!!- He drew my eyes instantly and really creeped me out... God, he looks like the Poster Boy for Psychopathology! The other guys look a bit rough & Schizoid on the out-side, but #12 looks utterly self-contained and evil on the inside, which is so much weirder and scarier!

Who the hell is he? I hardly even saw the others, but I think I don't want to go back & look if it means I'll set eyes on him again.His image seems like a very bad thing to have in one's head.
    Is there such a thing as ''Anti-Charisma''? He's got it in spades.
    - Best regards, Archaic

Leave a comment:

• Samuelson1982
    replied
    You guys are great, thanks so much for the info. I was told once these photos were from around 1888, but maybe they are earlier ones. Not sure what a portico thief is.

Leave a comment:

• IchabodCrane
    replied
    Hi there,

is No 16 George William Topping Hutchinson?

Leave a comment:

• Stephen Thomas
    replied
    Hi All

I've just been kindly advised privately that this man is William Charles Fredericks (alias George Bland, William Griffiths and Alfred Bailey) and that he was a portico thief.

Anybody know what a portico thief is?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X