Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    This must be the only place in Britain we’re you could say “if only we knew someone who has an extensive knowledge of Pickford’s and also the horse slaughtering trade in London “ and get the response “well, now you come to mention it....”

Leave a comment:

• Elamarna
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
    Hi Steve,

I've scoured my Pickfords books but can't find mention of when they stopped operating out of Haydon Square. Annoyingly there is no mention of HS in the index to Traffic and Transport, the more authoritative work on the company, although there are several references to it in the book.

One such says that Pickfords were still renting stables at HS in the 1880s.

Gary
    Thanks Gary

Steve

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
    Thanks for the info Gary

Steve
    Hi Steve,

I've scoured my Pickfords books but can't find mention of when they stopped operating out of Haydon Square. Annoyingly there is no mention of HS in the index to Traffic and Transport, the more authoritative work on the company, although there are several references to it in the book.

One such says that Pickfords were still renting stables at HS in the 1880s.

Gary

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    So not only do we agree on the Wallace case AS........
    he should change his name to Shmerican Arlock!

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by AmericanSherlock View Post
    I think it is more likely than not that the ripper is someone we never heard of.

If I had to pick a most likely suspect of those we know I'd say M J Druitt or Kosminski.

Excuse my intrusion
    So not only do we agree on the Wallace case AS........

Leave a comment:

• Harry D
    replied
    Originally posted by AmericanSherlock View Post
    I think it is more likely than not that the ripper is someone we never heard of.

If I had to pick a most likely suspect of those we know I'd say M J Druitt or Kosminski.

Excuse my intrusion
    Hello AS,

I expect a few researchers have glanced his name. They just haven't realised it.

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
    Except nobody has considered the "real" Ripper, the gas-fitter Henry DeFries who lived on Middlesex Street.
    hi scott
    care to expound? whats he got going for him? : )

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
    How many suspect theories have there been so far - 300+? How many more will there be I wonder?

On my list I have several names I would describe as persons of interest - in the general sense of the term - who haven't yet seen much daylight:

The Tomkins brothers (Smith +),
    Thomas Fogarty (Tabram),
    Stephen Maywood (Kelly)
    Billy Maher (Austin).

There must be thousands more who with a bit of spin could be wrestled into suspect material.

Bring 'em on, I say.
    finally a non lech post! LOL.
    Gary Im not that familiar with all these-care to expound? perhaps a snippet on each to elaborate their possible suspectness?

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    Originally posted by Harry D View Post
    There could be any number of reasons why CL wanted to keep his family name out of the press. Maybe he was just a private kind of guy? Maybe he wanted to protect his family from local gossip?

I believe Fisherman's theory is that CL wanted to obfuscate things just enough so that he'd have an innocent explanation if he was caught out on his lie. I don't see the point of a half-truth in this scenario. The man gave his Christian name, home address and place of business, more than enough to identify him. Using his stepdad's surname as some kind of red herring would only arouse suspicion rather than quell it, no?
    well, if guilty, he may have thought using his less common name might alleviate any involvment in the ripper case from coming to the attention of friends and family. maybe he thought someone he knew might put two and two together?

but i agree, the more likely explanation is that under the circs-a carman on his way to work-where he was still going by cross-was totally reasonable and or like you said, he just was private and didnt want his family being bugged by press, people etc.

Leave a comment:

• Sam Flynn
    replied
    No intrusion, AS.

At least you're on topic!

Leave a comment:

• AmericanSherlock
    replied

Excuse my intrusion

Leave a comment:

• Harry D
    replied
    Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    I agree, Harry. Furthermore, giving his full address, distinctive forenames, age, occupation and place of work would have risked arousing the suspicion of his neighbours, family, colleagues and employers, if he weren't also known to them as Charles Cross.
    Too true, Sam. And like Caz said, if CL was using his job as an alibi, why would he give the police a surname that wouldn't check out at Pickford's?

Leave a comment:

• Sam Flynn
    replied
    Originally posted by Harry D View Post
    The man gave his Christian name, home address and place of business, more than enough to identify him. Using his stepdad's surname as some kind of red herring would only arouse suspicion rather than quell it, no?
    I agree, Harry. Furthermore, giving his full address, distinctive forenames, age, occupation and place of work would have risked arousing the suspicion of his neighbours, family, colleagues and employers, if he weren't also known to them as Charles Cross.
    Last edited by Sam Flynn; 06-19-2018, 03:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Harry D
    replied
    There could be any number of reasons why CL wanted to keep his family name out of the press. Maybe he was just a private kind of guy? Maybe he wanted to protect his family from local gossip?

I believe Fisherman's theory is that CL wanted to obfuscate things just enough so that he'd have an innocent explanation if he was caught out on his lie. I don't see the point of a half-truth in this scenario. The man gave his Christian name, home address and place of business, more than enough to identify him. Using his stepdad's surname as some kind of red herring would only arouse suspicion rather than quell it, no?

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Maybe he just held Cross in high regard or remembered him with fondness and wished to carry his name?

Maybe, as has been suggested before (possibly by Gary), he might have simply wanted to keep the Lechmere name out of the newspapers, as his mother was still alive? Then again, thinking about it, why would his mother have reverted to Lechmere after Cross’ death? Did she actually use Lechmere in later life?
    Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 06-19-2018, 01:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X