Ripper Facts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
    I seem to remember it being said that the method used by Kelly's killer to remove her heart was one not generally employed by surgeons at the time.
    I'm not surprised, Gary. I'd bet that anyone who shoved his hands between the lungs to yank down and cut out the heart wouldn't remain a surgeon for very long
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Batman View Post

It takes time to exsanguinate a body. Two minutes minimum. For two minutes he probably spent the time on her face waiting for her to bleed out.
      and where do you think the blood went ?
      You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
        Was this test conducted in the dark, or a well lighted surgical room?
        Under normal laboratory conditions I would think Jon .
        Can't imagine he was blindfolded for the test.
        Makes it even more extraordinary that many people still cling to the belief that such a feat could be accomplished by someone with no skill , on their knees , in the rain and complete darkness .....

Comment

• Originally posted by Batman View Post
          It takes time to exsanguinate a body. Two minutes minimum. For two minutes he probably spent the time on her face waiting for her to bleed out.
          What makes you think that he waited for any of the victims to "bleed out"? I see nothing to suggest that he didn't just crack on with things as soon as the throat was cut.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
            Was this test conducted in the dark, or a well lighted surgical room?
            Does it matter? the important point is that it took him 3 minutes and he damaged the bladder. The uterus was removed from Eddowes without damaging the bladder, so that may suggest that whoever removed the uterus from Eddowes had sufficient light to be able to remove it without damaging the bladder.

Comment

• Originally posted by packers stem View Post
              Makes it even more extraordinary that many people still cling to the belief that such a feat could be accomplished by someone with no skill
              Try it - or rather, try a thought experiment. Your task is to cut open the belly, pull out the intestines and remove two organs in, say, five minutes. Of course you can do it.
              on their knees, in the rain and complete darkness .....
              Being on their knees (or crouching) would only make things easier, I can't see that the rain would make much diference and, as Dr Sequeira confirmed, it was not completely dark in that corner of Mitre Square.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                Try it - or rather, try a thought experiment. Your task is to cut open the belly, pull out the intestines and remove two organs in, say, five minutes. Of course you can do it.
                Being on their knees (or crouching) would only make things easier, I can't see that the rain would make much diference and, as Dr Sequeira confirmed, it was not completely dark in that corner of Mitre Square.
                Here we go .... good old Dr Sequeira
                The newly qualified GP that anyone trying to dismiss medical knowledge or lighting clings to .
                The square was lit up like Blackpool on a late November evening by the time he turned up .
                It's ridiculous to accept what he thought the square may have seemed like 15 minutes before his arrival

There was only one fully functioning lamp that could light that corner and it was how far away ? 20 feet was it ? There or there abouts .
                These lamps gave no more than a puddle of light below them as I'm sure you already know and were used as direction finders or if someone wanted to see something , then stand below .

45 minutes earlier and just over half a mile away people were lighting matches to spot a body in dutfields yard. .... why would it have brightened up enough for an operation in Mitre Square .

As for whether I could find a kidney. ... nope
                Finding 'something' doesn't count when you realise the membrane covering the kidney had been 'cut' to expose it

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
                  Does it matter? the important point is that it took him 3 minutes and he damaged the bladder. The uterus was removed from Eddowes without damaging the bladder, so that may suggest that whoever removed the uterus from Eddowes had sufficient light to be able to remove it without damaging the bladder.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
                  So the extraction from Eddowes was conducted under better lighting conditions than the controlled experiment?
                  Does that seem likely?
                  Regards, Jon S.

Comment

What makes you think that he waited for any of the victims to "bleed out"? I see nothing to suggest that he didn't just crack on with things as soon as the throat was cut.
                    My thoughts exactly.
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                      I seem to remember it being said that the method used by Kelly's killer to remove her heart was one not generally employed by surgeons at the time. The method had only recently been pioneered, and one of the few places it was being taught was at the medical school attended by Francis Thompson.

Apologies if that's a bit vague, but checking it out would entail entering Francis Thompson land again.😱
                      You are referring to the Virchow technique, Gary.

Comment

What is - or may well be - interesting in this context is how the 1873 torso victim that I claim had the same killer as Mary Kelly was bled out thoroughly, in all probability by being hung in a position that allowed for the blood to completely exit the body.
                        If this was the Ripper´s work, then I can easily accept that the cutting of the Ripper victim necks involved a decision to bleed them off before setting about cutting into the bodies. I agree that there is no proof of the practice, but it remains an open possibility with something going for it.
                        Overall, I think that the Ripper murders are examples of the killer wanting not so much to kill as to procure a body. The killing phase seems to have been quickly enough over and done with. Reasonably, it was not what he came for. And if he came for the cutting/eviscerations/organ procuring, it must be said that it would be less messy if the blood had been seen off beforehand.

On the other site, Drew Grays upcoming book on a connection between the Ripper and the Torso killer is under discussion. A Galadriel puts it in The Lord of the Rings: The world is changing.
                        Last edited by Fisherman; 10-28-2018, 07:50 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by packers stem View Post

There was only one fully functioning lamp that could light that corner and it was how far away ? 20 feet was it ? There or there abouts .
                          These lamps gave no more than a puddle of light below them as I'm sure you already know and were used as direction finders or if someone wanted to see something , then stand below .

45 minutes earlier and just over half a mile away people were lighting matches to spot a body in dutfields yard. .... why would it have brightened up enough for an operation in Mitre Square .
                          I suspect Sequeira only meant that corner was sufficiently lighted.
                          Not that the abdominal cavity was sufficiently lighted (by a lamp some 65? ft across the square) to enable the killer to see what he was doing.
                          That, in my opinion, had to be more the result of feel than eyesight.
                          And that, suggests anatomical knowledge.
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

But the murder spot was described as being the darkest part of the square, and the only light in the square was not working correctly, and if it had been working correctly as has been stated the light from that lamp would have shone downwards, and not across the square.

With almost no light trying to locate the organs would be a challenge, it would be an even greater challenge trying to grip the slippery wet organs to be able to remove them with some precision as well as being on a high alert for anyone coming into the square.

It didnt happen !

Comment

But the murder spot was described as being the darkest part of the square
                              Indeed, but Dr Sequeira explicitly testified that there was sufficient light for the killer to have committed the mutilations without needing extra light.
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

...an even greater challenge trying to grip the slippery wet organs to be able to remove them with some precision
                                You cup the organ in your hand and yank it a little; this would stretch any associated vessels/atachments, which you then sever with your knife. The organ pops free, still cupped in your hand, and the elastic vessels/attachments retract back into the body. That doesn't appear too challenging, and the level of precision required doesn't seem to be too daunting, either.
                                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Working...
                                X