Does anything rule Bury out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wyatt Earp View Post
    There is forensic evidence (signature evidence) placing William Bury at the Tabram crime scene, the Nichols crime scene, the Chapman crime scene, the Eddowes crime scene and the Kelly crime scene. With the signature evidence, we not only have evidence that Bury was at these locations, we have evidence that he actually committed these murders. In the case of the Kelly crime scene, we have additional evidence—the posthomicide burning of the victim’s clothes in the fireplace at both Princes Street and Miller’s Court—that tells us he was there. Signature evidence can be admitted in court and it is real criminal evidence that William Bury committed these murders.

Another way to put it would be this: we have circumstantial evidence, not direct evidence, placing Bury at the murder locations. Bury’s behavioral fingerprint is on display at all of these crime scenes.

For Bury to have been present at the Stride crime scene, there must have been something unusual about that situation, and that is exactly what Schwartz’s statement gives us, evidence that something unusual occurred (Schwartz’s intrusion). The description that Schwartz provided would have fit a lot of men in Victorian London, and one of them is William Henry Bury. For reasons I’ve recently outlined elsewhere, I think that Bury was the probable murderer of Stride.

John, we know that a signature characteristic of a serial killer can be deescalated or entirely absent at a given crime scene in connection with the specific circumstances of that murder. Bury had an obvious situational incentive to tone down the mutilations, in that people knew that he and Ellen lived there. If he had gone berserk with her, as he did with Kelly, he would have made it clear to everyone that he was the Ripper. There is therefore no valid “deescalation” objection to Bury.

So far as McKenzie goes, Keppel is one of the world’s leading experts on signature analysis, and he and his team said “no” to McKenzie from a signature standpoint. I’ve explained why the Ellen Bury murder is the better signature fit of the two, and the Ellen Bury murder is the only one of the two that cannot reasonably be viewed as a copycat murder, in that Ellen Bury’s throat was not cut. The McKenzie objection to Bury is also not a worthwhile one.
    Hi Wyatt
    I agree with you about de escalation-I don't think its a valid point. Ellen was killed in enough of a similar fashion as the rest. We know serial killers de escalate, change MO, evolve sigs, quit, lay dormant, etc. etc.

Theres also no such thing as a copy cat killing-that's Hollywood stuff.

Mckenzie is more of a fit IMHO than Ellen as a ripper victim and not just because of sig. But that being said any difference to the other victims could be explained by any number of reasons-he was interrupted, got cold feet, was extremely inebriated, was sick.

Also, when I said that nothing ties Bury to any of the ripper crimes-I meant physically. As far as we know, he cant be placed in the immediate area-the closest we can place him is Bow. He was not a suspect during the murders, not mentioned in any of the record-nothing physical links him to the crimes.
    yes he was a person of interest, which is a valid tick mark in his suspecthood for me-but only later after he killed his wife. I think the subsequent murder of McKenzie may have dropped him off the suspect list then as it has for me now (a bit).

fascinating discussion BTW all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
      Hi Wyatt
      I agree with you about de escalation-I don't think its a valid point. Ellen was killed in enough of a similar fashion as the rest. We know serial killers de escalate, change MO, evolve sigs, quit, lay dormant, etc. etc.

Theres also no such thing as a copy cat killing-that's Hollywood stuff.

Mckenzie is more of a fit IMHO than Ellen as a ripper victim and not just because of sig. But that being said any difference to the other victims could be explained by any number of reasons-he was interrupted, got cold feet, was extremely inebriated, was sick.

Also, when I said that nothing ties Bury to any of the ripper crimes-I meant physically. As far as we know, he cant be placed in the immediate area-the closest we can place him is Bow. He was not a suspect during the murders, not mentioned in any of the record-nothing physical links him to the crimes.
      yes he was a person of interest, which is a valid tick mark in his suspecthood for me-but only later after he killed his wife. I think the subsequent murder of McKenzie may have dropped him off the suspect list then as it has for me now (a bit).

fascinating discussion BTW all.
      Hi Abby,

Yes, I seemed to have made an uncharacteristic error in my previous post by stating that Bury was in Dundee at the time of the McKenzie murder-as you point out he was actually dead, although I was technically correct as his body was interred within the walls of Dundee Prison!

De-escalation is still something of a problem for me: I realize that serial killers do sometimes de-escalate. However, with JtR, if the C5 and Tabram are accepted, there is a clear pattern of escalation-from stabbing (Tabram), to throat cutting and abdominal mutilation (Nicholls), progressing to evisceration and organ removal Chapman and Eddowes), and finally to complete destruction of the body and multiple organ removal (Kelly). This is also why Keppel rejected Smith, Mackenzie, Mylett and Coles, I.e because the killer "did not engage in the same pattern of escalating signature behaviours as exhibited by Jack the Ripper". Nonetheless, I agree that this doesn't rule Bury out, but in my view it significantly weakens his candidacy (I think JtR may have been similar to Sutcliffe and Kemper, both of whom seemed to be acting out fantasies, and neither were prone to tone down the level of violence.)

Normally I would agree with you about copycats, but in this case we're left with something of sales conundrum: if McKenzie was a Ripper victim, then Ellen Bury was probably a copycat; However, if she wasn't then she was probably a copycat. Then there's Austin, who may also have been a copycat, or alternatively a Ripper victim! It's so confusing!

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
        Hi Abby,

Yes, I seemed to have made an uncharacteristic error in my previous post by stating that Bury was in Dundee at the time of the McKenzie murder-as you point out he was actually dead, although I was technically correct as his body was interred within the walls of Dundee Prison!

De-escalation is still something of a problem for me: I realize that serial killers do sometimes de-escalate. However, with JtR, if the C5 and Tabram are accepted, there is a clear pattern of escalation-from stabbing (Tabram), to throat cutting and abdominal mutilation (Nicholls), progressing to evisceration and organ removal Chapman and Eddowes), and finally to complete destruction of the body and multiple organ removal (Kelly). This is also why Keppel rejected Smith, Mackenzie, Mylett and Coles, I.e because the killer "did not engage in the same pattern of escalating signature behaviours as exhibited by Jack the Ripper". Nonetheless, I agree that this doesn't rule Bury out, but in my view it significantly weakens his candidacy (I think JtR may have been similar to Sutcliffe and Kemper, both of whom seemed to be acting out fantasies, and neither were prone to tone down the level of violence.)

Normally I would agree with you about copycats, but in this case we're left with something of sales conundrum: if McKenzie was a Ripper victim, then Ellen Bury was probably a copycat; However, if she wasn't then she was probably a copycat. Then there's Austin, who may also have been a copycat, or alternatively a Ripper victim! It's so confusing!
        Hi JohnG
        I agree with you in general about escalation/ de-escalation and serial killers staying with a very similar MO/sig through out and many times evolving-but not enough to be able to rule people out as suspects. They change and sometimes its circumstances-not necessarily with the psychology.

Speaking of change-on another thread we were discussing William Suff-the Riverside (CA) prostitute killer-whom also just happens to be, I believe, the closest (along with Dahmer) to the ripper that Ive found.

His first murder was his infant child.

Re copy cat. If Bury was not the ripper-then the similar MO is merely consequential. If anything he was constantly saying he was not the ripper and didn't want to be thought of as being the ripper-so that dosnt jibe with him copying the ripper crimes for whatever reason.

There is no precedent for a serial/ killer trying to make his murder look like that of a another killer to deflect suspicion.

Yes they stage murders to make it look like another motive and yes I could see week minded individuals being affected by another killers work. And yes some murders look like other murders by pure accident.

But a true "copy cat"? nope. there about as real as a Unicorn.

Comment

Hi JohnG
          I agree with you in general about escalation/ de-escalation and serial killers staying with a very similar MO/sig through out and many times evolving-but not enough to be able to rule people out as suspects. They change and sometimes its circumstances-not necessarily with the psychology.

Speaking of change-on another thread we were discussing William Suff-the Riverside (CA) prostitute killer-whom also just happens to be, I believe, the closest (along with Dahmer) to the ripper that Ive found.

His first murder was his infant child.

Re copy cat. If Bury was not the ripper-then the similar MO is merely consequential. If anything he was constantly saying he was not the ripper and didn't want to be thought of as being the ripper-so that dosnt jibe with him copying the ripper crimes for whatever reason.

There is no precedent for a serial/ killer trying to make his murder look like that of a another killer to deflect suspicion.

Yes they stage murders to make it look like another motive and yes I could see week minded individuals being affected by another killers work. And yes some murders look like other murders by pure accident.

But a true "copy cat"? nope. there about as real as a Unicorn.
          Hello Abby,

I think you make a very good point about circumstances impacting on a serial killer's MO. A very good example of this is Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire Ripper. Thus, according to Professor Glenn Wilson, his signature was "a deep wound to the stomach of the victims inflicted with a screw driver after hitting them in the head with a hammer". It is argued that this fetish derived from a Victorian exhibit that he became fascinated with in a waxwork museum: the exhibit showed a series of female torsos with windows in their belly illustrating the "nine stages of pregnancy." And, according to his brother, he would linger at the exhibit with a strange grin on his face. It's possible, therefore, that he was trying to replicate this hole in the belly when inflicting the injuries.

Nonetheless, Dr Bandara represented a significant deviation from this signature (there were serious head injuries, but no abdominal wounds, and an attempt had been made to strangle her). Sutcliffe Subsequently explained: " I didn't have any tools to finish her, so I used the rope to strangle her, but I was overcome with remorse so I didn't finish her off. I apologised to her and left her there. " In other words, he deviated from signature because he'd forgotten his knife/screwdriver! In fact, on that basis maybe Mylett shouldn't be ruled out as a JtR victim.

Margurite Walls, an earlier victim, was also initially ruled out, incorrectly, as a Sutcliffe vuctim because she wasn't stabbed but strangled (with the same ligature that was used on Bandara). Sutcliffe explained the reason for the change in the method of killing: " Because the press and media had attached a stigma, I had been known as the Yorkshire Ripper which to my mind didn't ring true at all. It was just my way of killing them but actually I found the method of strangulation was even more horrible and took longer." He therefore deviated because he felt stigmatized at being called the Yorkshire Ripper!

Regarding whether Bury was a copycat. Written on a door in chalk, at Bury's residence, were the words, " Jack Ripper [sic] is at the back of this door". And at the back of the door the words, "Jack Ripper is in this seller [sic]."

Now, if the words were written by Bury was it a confession? And, if so, why did he subsequently tell the police that his wife had committed suicide? Had he changed his mind about confessing? Or could it imply that he was inspired by JtR's murders, at least on a subliminal level, possibly even seeing himself as JtR? But again, why did he subsequently deny he'd committed the murder. If not written by Bury, then why didn't he rub it off, particularly as it seemed to represent damning evidence against him? It's very confusing, as is Bury!

I agree with you about copycats, by the way. In fact, the only place where they are common seems to be crime fiction!
          Last edited by John G; 10-12-2015, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Hello Abby,

I think you make a very good point about circumstances impacting on a serial killer's MO. A very good example of this is Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire Ripper. Thus, according to Professor Glenn Wilson, his signature was "a deep wound to the stomach of the victims inflicted with a screw driver after hitting them in the head with a hammer". It is argued that this fetish derived from a Victorian exhibit that he became fascinated with in a waxwork museum: the exhibit showed a series of female torsos with windows in their belly illustrating the "nine stages of pregnancy." And, according to his brother, he would linger at the exhibit with a strange grin on his face. It's possible, therefore, that he was trying to replicate this hole in the belly when inflicting the injuries.

Nonetheless, Dr Bandara represented a significant deviation from this signature (there were serious head injuries, but no abdominal wounds, and an attempt had been made to strangle her). Sutcliffe Subsequently explained: " I didn't have any tools to finish her, so I used the rope to strangle her, but I was overcome with remorse so I didn't finish her off. I apologised to her and left her there. " In other words, he deviated from signature because he'd forgotten his knife/screwdriver! In fact, on that basis maybe Mylett shouldn't be ruled out as a JtR victim.

Margurite Walls, an earlier victim, was also initially ruled out, incorrectly, as a Sutcliffe vuctim because she wasn't stabbed but strangled (with the same ligature that was used on Bandara). Sutcliffe explained the reason for the change in the method of killing: " Because the press and media had attached a stigma, I had been known as the Yorkshire Ripper which to my mind didn't ring true at all. It was just my way of killing them but actually I found the method of strangulation was even more horrible and took longer." He therefore deviated because he felt stigmatized at being called the Yorkshire Ripper!

Regarding whether Bury was a copycat. Written on a door in chalk, at Bury's residence, were the words, " Jack Ripper [sic] is at the back of this door". And at the back of the door the words, "Jack Ripper is in this seller [sic]."

Now, if the words were written by Bury was it a confession? And, if so, why did he subsequently tell the police that his wife had committed suicide? Had he changed his mind about confessing? Or could it imply that he was inspired by JtR's murders, at least on a subliminal level, possibly even seeing himself as JtR? But again, why did he subsequently deny he'd committed the murder. If not written by Bury, then why didn't he rub it off, particularly as it seemed to represent damning evidence against him? It's very confusing, as is Bury!

I agree with you about copycats, by the way. In fact, the only place where they are common seems to be crime fiction!
            Hi JohnG
            wasn't the writing on the door apocraphyl? I don't think its proven that it actually existed?

anyway if its true, I don't think Bury wrote it. He was afraid of being thought of as the ripper and denied it so again him writing it doesn't jibe. In all likelihood some neighborhood kids wrote it-sounds like something kids would do.

Has anyone put forth it might have been written by his wife because she knew-maybe that was the trigger that set him off to kill her?

Comment

• you make a very good point about circumstances impacting on a serial killer's MO. A very good example of this is Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire Ripper.
              On the topic of the Yorkshire Ripper having a chat with someone who was in Leeds a few streets away at the time that poor student was killed, I asked her what she thought when they caught they guy. She said 'we were all surprised he was just a lorry driver from Bradford, we all thought he would be someone more important'.

MY point is - I think the reason why a lot of people discount Bury is they have preconceived notions that JTR must have been a criminal mastermind to evade capture. Its very hard for people to move from this.

Personally I think anyone of low cunning and recklessness, fueled by alcohol and drugs, could have done it and got away with it. And we see plenty of that in Bury, along with the much rarer quality of actually wanting to do it.

And regards Ellen - lets not forget he almost got off scot free
              Last edited by Boggles; 10-12-2015, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Hi JohnG
                wasn't the writing on the door apocraphyl? I don't think its proven that it actually existed?

anyway if its true, I don't think Bury wrote it. He was afraid of being thought of as the ripper and denied it so again him writing it doesn't jibe. In all likelihood some neighborhood kids wrote it-sounds like something kids would do.

Has anyone put forth it might have been written by his wife because she knew-maybe that was the trigger that set him off to kill her?
                Hi Abby,

In respect of the chalk writing, Euan Macpherson cites an article in the Dundee Advertiser, 12th Feb, 1889. The article states:"The back premises are led to a dirty stair, at the foot of which on an old door is the following written in chalk-Jack Ripper [sic] is at the back of this door. At the back of this door, and just at the turn of the stair, there is the inscription-Jack Ripper is in this seller. [sic]" The article also states, "The handwriting is apparently that of a boy and the authorities will probably attach little importance to it. But the writing is older than the discovery of the tragedy and the neighbours were startled and alarmed at the idea that one whom on their terror they associated with the Whitechapel tragedies had been living in their midst."

Euan discounts the boy theory, arguing that it was probably based on the spelling and grammatical mistakes. And, as he points out, only William Bury had entered the apartment from the time of the murder to the discovery of the body, a period of seven days. And once the murder had been discovered there was always one policeman on duty at the scene of the crime, suggesting that there was no opportunity for anyone else to have written the statement. (Macpherson, 2005).

Of course, if it was old writing then why didn't Bury erase it when he took possession of the apartment? However, it does raise the question as to whether it could have acted as an inspiration for the murder

Comment

Hi Abby,

In respect of the chalk writing, Euan Macpherson cites an article in the Dundee Advertiser, 12th Feb, 1889. The article states:"The back premises are led to a dirty stair, at the foot of which on an old door is the following written in chalk-Jack Ripper [sic] is at the back of this door. At the back of this door, and just at the turn of the stair, there is the inscription-Jack Ripper is in this seller. [sic]" The article also states, "The handwriting is apparently that of a boy and the authorities will probably attach little importance to it. But the writing is older than the discovery of the tragedy and the neighbours were startled and alarmed at the idea that one whom on their terror they associated with the Whitechapel tragedies had been living in their midst."

Euan discounts the boy theory, arguing that it was probably based on the spelling and grammatical mistakes. And, as he points out, only William Bury had entered the apartment from the time of the murder to the discovery of the body, a period of seven days. And once the murder had been discovered there was always one policeman on duty at the scene of the crime, suggesting that there was no opportunity for anyone else to have written the statement. (Macpherson, 2005).

Of course, if it was old writing then why didn't Bury erase it when he took possession of the apartment? However, it does raise the question as to whether it could have acted as an inspiration for the murder
                  Has that article ever been located and verified?
                  also, could the area where that was written be accessed by the outside without going through a door or gate?Ie-could someone who didn't live there come from outside and write it? was it out side or inside?

Comment

Has that article ever been located and verified?
                    also, could the area where that was written be accessed by the outside without going through a door or gate?Ie-could someone who didn't live there come from outside and write it? was it out side or inside?
                    Hi Abby

Not sure. However, I can only assume that Euan properly checked his sources! Interestingly, he also cites a report in the Dundee Courier, concerning what Bury is alleged to have said to the investigating police officer, Lieutenant Lamb:"When they were alone the man, who appeared much excited, said he was "Jack the Ripper" or "a Jack the Ripper" or something to that effect." The Dundee Advitiser records a different version of the same incident: " In the course of further conversations he made a remark about Jack the Ripper but the Lieutenant did not understand what Bury meant and did not wish at that stage to inquire."

Comment

Hi Abby

Not sure. However, I can only assume that Euan properly checked his sources! Interestingly, he also cites a report in the Dundee Courier, concerning what Bury is alleged to have said to the investigating police officer, Lieutenant Lamb:"When they were alone the man, who appeared much excited, said he was "Jack the Ripper" or "a Jack the Ripper" or something to that effect." The Dundee Advitiser records a different version of the same incident: " In the course of further conversations he made a remark about Jack the Ripper but the Lieutenant did not understand what Bury meant and did not wish at that stage to inquire."
                      Thanks JohnG for that.
                      However, it all sounds a little bit too unsure to me to invest much in it.

Comment

• Abby, objecting to the Bury ID by saying “I think McKenzie was a Ripper victim” is like objecting to it by saying “I think the Ripper was Jewish,” “I think the Ripper lived in Whitechapel,” “I think the Ripper had a medical background” or “I think Anderson and Swanson knew the Ripper’s identity.” There’s nothing definite about any of these things, and so they all constitute ineffective objections to the Bury ID.

I’ve demonstrated how Bury can be identified as the Ripper. This community is expert at dismantling proposed solutions to the case, but during the year since I published my article no one in the field has been able to produce an effective rebuttal of it. We can therefore reasonably conclude: 1) McKenzie was not a Ripper victim, 2) the Ripper was not Jewish, 3) the Ripper did not live in Whitechapel, 4) the Ripper did not have a medical background and 5) Anderson and Swanson did not really know the Ripper’s identity.

I’ll put the same question to you that I recently put to John. What if anything are you contesting in the below?

Originally posted by Wyatt Earp View Post
                        William Bury’s signature as displayed in his murder of Ellen Bury is a close match with Jack the Ripper’s signature as described by Keppel et al.

There are three possibilities:

1. William Bury was a copycat killer.
                        2. The close signature match was simply a coincidence.
                        3. William Bury was Jack the Ripper.

For the reasons described in my article, 1 and 2 can be ruled out, but 3 cannot.

Ergo, William Bury was Jack the Ripper.
                        “When a major serial killer case is finally solved and all the paperwork completed, police are sometimes amazed at how obvious the killer was and how they were unable to see what was right before their noses.” —Robert D. Keppel and William J. Birnes, The Psychology of Serial Killer Investigations

William Bury, Victorian Murderer
                        http://www.williambury.org

Comment

• Hello Wyatt,

I don't believe that the question of the Ripper having medical skill/knowledge, can be determined with any degree of certainty, particularly as even modern experts are divided on this issue.

Of course, the question as to whether McKenzie was a Ripper victims is also crucial to Bury's candidacy. I've changed my mind about this a number of times, but now I tend to think she probably wasn't. The difficultly is that, if she was a victim, we have to accept three propositions. Firstly, that the killer substantially de-escalated the level of violence. And not just from Kelly, either, as the level of overkill-a crucial part of JtR's signature-is significantly less pronounced than even the first C5 victim, Nicholls. For instance, the abdominal wound was not "unduly deep", and there was no attempt at organ removal, unlike Chapman, Eddowes and Kelly. The neck was targeted, but nothing like to the extent of four of the C5 victims, where the neck injuries were so severe it could be argued that they amount to an attempted decapitation (in fact, McKenzie's neck injuries were significantly less severe than Stride's.)

Secondly, we would have to accept that the killer went into a kind of semi-retirement for over a half a year, even though he had hitherto been killing much more frequently.

And thirdly, after returning for one more less violent kill, like a sort of encore, he then decides to retire for good and is never heard from again.

On balance, therefore, I now think it more likely that McKenzie was not a Ripper victim.

However, where does that leave Bury? Well, to begin with I think it questionable that his "signature" represents a close match. My understanding is that the abdominal wounds were significantly less pronounced than even the earlier Whitechapel Victims. And, of course, the throat wasn't cut at all. Now this is clearly of some importance because, as I've noted earlier, the neck wounds of four of the C5 victims were so severe as to amount to a virtual de-capitation. This level of overkill clearly went far beyond what was necessary to overpower and disable the victims, and therefore must be regarded as part of the killer's signature, and not just MO. And it's a signature component entirely absent in Ellen Bury's case.

Could Ellen Bury be a copycat? I don't think it can be entirely ruled out. Firstly, if Ellen wasn't a copycat, then McKenzie probably was, therefore such a phenomenon was clearly possible. Secondly, possible confessional statements by Bury could be suggestive of a copycat, or at least a killer inspired by JtR. Thus, we have the chalk graffiti in the apartment, and Bury's statement to Lieutenant Parr that he thought he would be arrested as Jack the Ripper. And, of course, the Dundee Courier article actually states that Bury told the Lieutenant that he was Jack the Ripper, or a Jack the Ripper.

Somehow, I doubt that the real Jack would have been so eager to draw attention to himself that way, and Bury's conduct is pretty much inexplicable considering that, from the outset, he insisted his wife had committed suicide.

And them we have the fact that Bury seemed visibly surprised when Lieutenant Parr detained him, i.e. in order to check the truth of his statement. In other words, he seemed to think the police would accept his somewhat implausible story without question. So the question is: would the real JtR be that obtuse?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                            Lechmere does not belong to the discussion. We are discussing Bury only.

There´s Lechmere again - you seem to have a crush on him?
                            Umm... you brought Lechmere into this, not me. Behold:

Originally posted by Fisherman
                            With my man, they SHOULD have investigated the man found at the spot, but the name tells us they never did.
                            I would happily drop him from the conversation. We're talking about suspects, after all.

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                            Bury lived in Bow. It is not on the outskirts of Whitechapel, it is some way east of it, beyond Mile End. So why would Bury go to Whitechapel to find hiomself prostitutes to kill, when he had them close by in Bow? That is not what serialists normally do.
                            Why wouldn't he? Serial killers like to put a relatively safe distance between themselves and their killing field. Bury was close enough to frequent Whitechapel, but far enough away to keep the heat off his own doorstep.

If the killer did not leave after strikes 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, why wouod he feel an urge to do so after strike 6? Is that what we normally see with serialits who work in a restricted area? Do they normally stay or do they move?
                            Are you adding Tabram to the tally? For the record I don't consider her a canonical victim, which would make strike #5 Mary Kelly in my book.

In any case, that's a good question. There are many curiosities about Bury as a Ripper candidate, but alike yourself I don't hang my hat on a particular man. I could probably venture a guess at why Bury behaved the way he did, but that's speculative territory. However, I will stand by my belief that based on the hard facts alone, Bury is the best suspect out there. No other suspect is known to have committed a Ripper-like murder who can be placed in the East End at the time.

Well, well - Harry suddenly KNOWS that Lechmere had no history of violence or any kind of criminal behaviour!
                            Oh... that Lechmere silence didn't last long.

There isn't an shred of evidence that suggests Lechmere was anything other than a hardworking family man, let alone a violent serial killer. If there is, then you have yet to show it.

You are of course trying to establish that Lechmere was a good man without knowing anything at all about it, and without being able to find out. The best of luck with that.
                            On the face of it, he appears to have been a hardworking provider for his family and lived a life without incident before dying of old age. That doesn't mean that Lechmere couldn't have led a double life as a serial killer, but if there's nothing to support it other than the fact he found the first victim, the burden of proof rests with you.

Now, Harry, I sense that this will not lead up to any useful debate, so I will leave the field wide open to you. JUst mind that you don´t do the "Lechmere was a proven honest and good man" ploy again, or I will take you up on it.
                            Good luck with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                              Umm... you brought Lechmere into this, not me. Behold:

I would happily drop him from the conversation. We're talking about suspects, after all.

Why wouldn't he? Serial killers like to put a relatively safe distance between themselves and their killing field. Bury was close enough to frequent Whitechapel, but far enough away to keep the heat off his own doorstep.

Are you adding Tabram to the tally? For the record I don't consider her a canonical victim, which would make strike #5 Mary Kelly in my book.

In any case, that's a good question. There are many curiosities about Bury as a Ripper candidate, but alike yourself I don't hang my hat on a particular man. I could probably venture a guess at why Bury behaved the way he did, but that's speculative territory. However, I will stand by my belief that based on the hard facts alone, Bury is the best suspect out there. No other suspect is known to have committed a Ripper-like murder who can be placed in the East End at the time.

Oh... that Lechmere silence didn't last long.

There isn't an shred of evidence that suggests Lechmere was anything other than a hardworking family man, let alone a violent serial killer. If there is, then you have yet to show it.

On the face of it, he appears to have been a hardworking provider for his family and lived a life without incident before dying of old age. That doesn't mean that Lechmere couldn't have led a double life as a serial killer, but if there's nothing to support it other than the fact he found the first victim, the burden of proof rests with you.

Good luck with that.
                              Hi Harry
                              No other suspect is known to have committed a Ripper-like murder who can be placed in the East End at the time.
                              The truth of this simple, concise statement has really made an impression on me.

In contemplating it-and the simple truth of it-has elevated Bury in my mind.

Comment

• The truth of this simple, concise statement has really made an impression on me.
                                Most people regard the murder of Ellen as not being severe enough, but I have read the medical reports on Ellens murder, and i posted them on this forum. The mutilations are well documented and I have no doubt that Bury had the same underlying motivations. And its very very rare. Keppel did a numerical study on it, with a view to make Tabram C6, and he found that these kind of mutilations are exceedingly rare and had no doubt that Tabram as a ripper victim. He didnt know about Ellen.

For me two people like Bury and JTR living in the same area at the same time is very unlikely. There is a witness statement in the trial notes that he was drunk and violent in Whitechapel on at least one occasion so we can tie him to the scene.

Chalk graffiti is one thing, it adds flavour to the case. I imagine that after murdering he stopped for a piss and scrawled graffiti on a wall. Thats what thus guy might have done. At best its interesting, but it dosent move Bury case forward.
                                We need more, just one thing to tie him to the victims and I believe it is out there somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X