X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wyatt Earp
    replied
    Originally posted by The Baron View Post
    If he was the Ripper, then why didn't he confess to those murders too?!

The Baron
    Sorry for the late reply to this—

No one knows the answer to that question except for Bury. James Berry, the man who executed Bury, wrote that Bury asked him “I suppose you think you are clever to hang me?” and “The man about to die laid particular emphasis on the last word he spoke. He talked as if he thought himself to be one who stood head and shoulders above every other criminal who had passed through my hands” (Stewart Evans, Executioner, p.307). From this interaction it sounds like Bury could have been ready to confess to his Whitechapel murders, and if he had been handled differently at the very end, he might well have done so.

Leave a comment:

• Sleuth1888
    replied
    Originally posted by London1888 View Post
    I would say Bury is a viable suspect, but more of a red herring than anything else.

The whole chalk message deal has always seemed conspired to me. I was never to believe the real JTR would have written a chalk message reading, "Jack Ripper is at the back door" or "Jack Ripper is in this cellar." I doubt there is any proof to these messages even really being found in his flat. Most likely they are made up propaganda.

Bury was definitely a sick man, and had major issues, but I doubt very strongly he was JTR. Maybe he looked up to JTR in some sick way, maybe he wanted to be a Copycat (with a very poor attempt I might add), or maybe he just wanted to kill his wife, and the papers, and locals, wanted JTR so bad, they thought they could attribute him to the killings.
    Yes but the chalk messages on the back door were not written by JTR they were written by a member of the public most likely. Maybe JTR did not write chalk messages but maybe Bury didn't either.

Leave a comment:

• London1888
    replied
    I would say Bury is a viable suspect, but more of a red herring than anything else.

The whole chalk message deal has always seemed conspired to me. I was never to believe the real JTR would have written a chalk message reading, "Jack Ripper is at the back door" or "Jack Ripper is in this cellar." I doubt there is any proof to these messages even really being found in his flat. Most likely they are made up propaganda.

Bury was definitely a sick man, and had major issues, but I doubt very strongly he was JTR. Maybe he looked up to JTR in some sick way, maybe he wanted to be a Copycat (with a very poor attempt I might add), or maybe he just wanted to kill his wife, and the papers, and locals, wanted JTR so bad, they thought they could attribute him to the killings.

Leave a comment:

• The Baron
    replied
    If he was the Ripper, then why didn't he confess to those murders too?!

The Baron
    Last edited by The Baron; 02-28-2019, 05:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Wyatt Earp
    started a topic The People versus Jack the Ripper

The People versus Jack the Ripper

Event occurring this Saturday in Scotland:

Hopefully, someone on Casebook will be able to attend this and give us a report.

Was the last man hanged in Dundee actually Jack the Ripper? Investigative journalist Michael Mulford believes William Henry Bury was indeed the notorious Whitechapel serial murderer. Michael invites the entire audience to form a Jury then deliver their verdict.
Working...
X