X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Suzi View Post
    OMG Batchelor's Peas!!!!
    ... in a shop called "Jalalabad". Must have been a relative of Yasser Marrowfat.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Well it certainly wasn't Mushy Dayan.

Comment

• Salaam a legume
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Is that Hail to the Beans??
          Hold the frivolity!!!!- We'll get tolled off.........as the bell ringer said when he caught his clapper in the bell rope!!
          'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Originally posted by Suzi View Post
            Is that Hail to the Beans??
            ... "peas be with you", actually, Suzi (or, more strictly, "peace with peas" )
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Peas........ always best to wait until they repeat............repeat........OMG am developing echolalia!!!!........lalia.........lalia.......... ...

STOP it NOW!!!!! ..........right where were we???
              GREAT pics John!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Great (appalling) puns everyone! I visibily winced at some of them.

This is the first time I've seen any photos of Flower and Dean street. Shame it's while it's being demolished. Do we have any photo's of the street in happier times?

Wasn't F&D Street the place where JTR most probably lived, according to some modern criminal psychologist?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cubitt View Post
                  This is the first time I've seen any photos of Flower and Dean street. Shame it's while it's being demolished. Do we have any photo's of the street in happier times?
                  Hi Cubitt

Check out the Photo Archive here under Other Specific East London Locations
                  allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Enjoy this little oddity, folks.

Black Lion Yard, Whitechapel, in 1961. Take a moment to notice Mr L. Elgrod's jewellers, the shop on the left hand side with the clock above it.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	BlackLionYard 1961 3 LMA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	655703

Black Lion Yard in 1975. Isn't it time Mr Elgrod sold up?

Name:	BlackLionYard 1975 LMA.jpg
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	655704

Comment

• Here's a few more...

No.2 Fieldgate Street (date unknown). Don't go looking for it, it ain't there no more.

Name:	FieldgateStreet2 dateunknown LMA.jpg
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	655705

Brady Street with (about to be demolished) Brady Street Dwellings, 1978.

Name:	BradyStreet 1978 LMA.jpg
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	655706

Sclater Street/Brick Lane 1971. Some sound advice for naughty people.

Name:	SclaterStreet 1971 LMA.jpg
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	655707
                      Last edited by John Bennett; 01-24-2009, 02:26 AM.

Comment

• Love 'em, John.

Can you find anything of the true location of Swallow Gardens?

Only I was guiding tonight and overtook that idiot Pope in Gunthorpe Street who yelled to me that he'd found 'another' error in Rob's and mine's book and that we had the wrong location of Swallow Gardens and he'd discovered where it really is - the site of (what I think he said was) The Martyrs' Club.

Funny, as on his website he says that Liz Stride and Frances Coles were killed in the same place. I texted Rob who texted back he finds it sad that people are being told such lies. Well, it's their fault for choosing to go with him!

PHILIP
                        Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• It appears Mr Elgrod was a bit of a stayer. I've just found a reference to an attempted felony in his shop in Black Lion Yard in 1929!

Phil, you're not telling me that JPdeL said all that when you had a group with you? If so, that deserves a bloody good hiding.

Comment

• Two more before bedtime...

Fort Street Spitalfields, 1944. A wonderful piece of desolation.

Name:	FortStreet 1944.jpg
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	655708

And finally, the famous 'Rodinsky's Room' in the top floor of 19 Princelet Street (1983).

Name:	PrinceletStreetRR 1983.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	655709

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                              No.2 Fieldgate Street (date unknown). Don't go looking for it, it ain't there no more.
                              Presumably this is somewhere close to 3A Fieldgate Street, where Aaron Kozminski's elder brother Isaac lived in 1881.

I was never able to work out where exactly this was, as the 1890 Goad Plan gives the numbering along the north side starting from the west as:
                              1, 2, 2 and a half, 3, 4, 5, 2, 3, 4 and so on.

Edit: Actually, looking at the online 1881 census, the sequence of numbers there is:
                              1, 2, 2A, 2 and a half, 2B, 3, 4, 5 Black Horse, 2C, 3A, 4, 5.
                              So Isaac appears to have lived in the easternmost number 3 on the Goad Plan. I'm guessing the photo is of the westernmost number 2 (?).
                              Last edited by Chris; 01-24-2009, 03:38 AM.

Comment

• Thank you, thank you to everyone who has posted photographs old and new here. They are absolutely fascinating, brilliant, and amazing!!
                                Cheers,
                                cappuccina

"Don't make me get my flying monkeys!"

Comment

Working...
                                X