Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree that the Hanbury images do make you wonder what those other rooms in 29 looked like.

In regards to the Hardimans, I found out an interesting titbit of info which might not be common knowledge. I discovered it in THE EAST END AT WORK.

One of the first recruits into the Guild of Handicraft, set up by C R Ashbee, was a Bill Hardiman who was a cats' meat man, selling from a barrow in Whitechapel and earning a lucrative 15/- a week. Same Hardimans, d'you think?

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Just a few more (I'm running out).

Remains of the Whitechapel Workhouse, Fulbourne Street, 1951. Almost the same view as the well-known one from People of the Abyss, minus the queue.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	FulbourneStreet 1951 2 LMA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	655640

Corner of Brick Lane and Princelet Street, 1972. The launderette was previously a jewellers owned by Rachel Lichtenstein's grandparents. It's now a restaurant, obviously. Note little disabled car to the right - they were everywhere when I was a kid.

Name:	BrickLanePrincelet1972 LMA.jpg
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	655643

Another one from inside 6 Wilkes Street, 1980. Needs some curtains to cheer it up a bit, don't you think?

Name:	6WilkesInterior 2 1980 LMA.jpg
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	655642

And my last one of the inside of 24 Hanbury Street in 1972 - talk about a period piece. It's quite sad.

Name:	24HanburyStreetInterior1972 5 LMA.jpg
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	655641

Comment

• Hi John,

Thanks for those photographs.

The shot of Whitechapel Workhouse, Fulbourne Street, 1951, is one of the most chilling photographs I have ever seen.

Regards,

Simon
        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
          Remains of the Whitechapel Workhouse, Fulbourne Street, 1951. Almost the same view as the well-known one from People of the Abyss, minus the queue.
          Hi John,

That's the Whitechapel Casual Ward. I don't know why Jack London calls it the Workhouse. The railway arches in the distance are the Spitalfields Coal Depot and the building extreme right is I believe the back of Schneiders & Son in Durward Street.

All the best

Rob

Comment

• Hi Rob. Unless I'm much mistaken, the Casual Ward is generally regarded as part of the Workhouse. Same establishment, different rooms and arrangements.

PHILIP

Comment

• Hi Philip,

Different building as well.
              There probably was a connection between the two but probably in an administrative sense. The Workhouse was over in South Grove, Mile End way. The Whitechapel Union Infirmary was just over the road on Vallance Road and that was the Whitechapel Workhouse up until the 1870s (exact date escapes me at the moment) and when the photo was taken it was St Peters Hospital.

Rob

Comment

• Don't you just love these old architectural features? Today's buildings just don't come close in character. Even trashed, these old places are interesting. It's easy to see why some people are so keen to restore old buildings. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I could afford it.
                "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• Got you, Rob. I know (because we mentioned it in the book) we were talking of two different locations but I was just saying it wasn't actually wrong for Jack London to call it the workhouse, just lacking clarity.

PHILIP

Comment

• Originally posted by Celesta View Post
                    Don't you just love these old architectural features? Today's buildings just don't come close in character. Even trashed, these old places are interesting. It's easy to see why some people are so keen to restore old buildings. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I could afford it.
                    I certainly agree with that, Celesta.

All the best
                    The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

• Originally posted by Celesta View Post
                      Even trashed, these old places are interesting. It's easy to see why some people are so keen to restore old buildings. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I could afford it.
                      Does anyone know if property prices are falling the area? I had a quick look on Findaproperty.com last night and it all still seemed effing bloody expensive to me. For anything period anyway. I was surprised to see that you can get a two bed flat in a concrete carbuncle for less than £150,000 but I'd rather stay where I am, thanks very much.

By the way, am really loving all the old pictures being posted. Great to see some interiors too, really sparks the imagination

Comment

• Here's a couple of others of the Casual Ward taken at the same time as the one John posted above.

This one looking towards Vallance Road. The Whitechapel Union Infirmary/St Peters Hospital at the end of the road on the right.

Name:	Fulbourne Street 1951 02cb.jpg
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	655646

A view of the rear.

Name:	Fulbourne Street 1951 03cb.jpg
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	655647

Rob

Comment

• Look at the tree's!! Looks like a Tim Burton set for a dark and nasty movie! Lovely pictures.

The interior sets are amazing, really thought provoking, and sat here with my double glazing, fully carpeted house with central heating up to the max, I am thinking it must have been cold back then!
                          Regards Mike

Comment

• So that's the Whitechapel Spike! Terrifying!

And thanks so much for the Hanbury St and Whyte's Row pics. All that original detail! I do hope some nice gentrifying people have bought those houses and are restoring them. The staircase in the Whyte's Row house was clearly original and incredibly beautiful.

Comment

• Some more wonders! Brilliant aren't they...Love the portrait on the mantlepiece in the 1972 Hanbury shot John...as you say-strangely sad. Those little disabled cars were,as you say everywhere..that rather alarming pastel turquiose shade!

Suz x

Yep! Those trees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! seriously scary!
                              Last edited by Suzi; 01-11-2009, 02:06 PM.
                              'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Came across this ... Anyone know when the gas lamp came off the top
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X