Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all! I´m Alex from Helsingborg Sweden. As with mr. Honor above I have been a lurker at this site for some time and I enjoy it immensely. Although the last 10 years have seen me travelling to London on a "2-times-a-year-at-least"-basis and the very first trip got me into the ripper case, I never once before 2008 took the time to go out into Whitechapel and walk around a bit.

Anyway, now having done so I thought I would share some of the pics I´ve taken, the good ones. Most pics look like all other pics from the sites so I´ll try and post some I am personally happy with. These first pics were taken on a beautiful monday in november and show the mortuary at St Georges In The East where the body of Elizabeth Stride was taken. A couple of outside shots and a small attempt at an interior shot (I´m tall and the metal covering the windows had a small opening I could just reach..for what it´s worth..)

I hope you´ll enjoy these shots, and I´ll share some more if anyone wants to.

Merry christmas to you all.

/Al
    Attached Files

Comment

• Hi Alex,

These are nice pictures of the mortuary. They seemed to like those white glazed bricks or tiles for mortuaries and other such buildings. I know I've seen them also in turn of the century buildings.

Thank you for sharing these with us.

Welcome to the C'Book.

Best,

Cel
      "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• Hello Alex,

Very nice pics there, and thanks for sharing them--I don't believe I've seen any of this mortuary before.
        (By the by, I'm a Ms., not a Mr., but don't be disturbed, it's a common assumption with my odd name )
        Cheers!
        --Honor

Comment

• Hi Alex. I've not been to the mortuary site for a few months now, not since they were doing major works to the church grounds. I'm really disappointed to see nothing whatsoever has changed in regards to the building.

PHILIP
          Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Hi Philip

Just read your post regarding other old buildings in Whites Row other than the ones adjacent to Commercial Street, I was shown those buildings by a freind but for some strange reason I dont seem to have taken any photos of them.

And Mike wished you hadn't noticed those "eyes" at the window in Dorset Street, the bloke who took me around the area is very much into things that go bump in the night, and will now be fascinated with that photo. My only expierience of things that go bump in the night, is me bashing into the Wardrobe to go to the loo, after a nights imbibment.

all the best

Observer

Comment

• Fleming Hutchinson seem to be the topic of the day here are a few locations relating to them

Site of the Victoria Home corner of Commercial Street Wentworth Street

Click image for larger version

Name:	Victoria home Hutch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	655553

Site of the Queens Head PH corner of Fashion Street Commercial Street...I think....please corresct me if I am wrong

Name:	Hutchinson pub irfan.jpg
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	655554

Thrawl Street Corner Hutchinson had just passed this corner when he encountered Mary Kelly...9th November 1888

Name:	thrawl street corner irfan.jpg
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	655555

all the best

Observer

Comment

• Hi Observer.

That's not the SITE of The Queen's Head - it IS The Queen's Head!

PHILIP

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy Goose View Post
                  Rob, I think that is 56 Artillery Lane. Some folks speak of it on a website. Their family ran a store there.

Observer, there is a man in long coat in several of your photos. A fellow detective perhaps?

Paddy
                  Yep I noticed him....... ....... Hmmmmmmmmmmm a JPdL in disguise maybe!!!

Suz x
                  'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                    Just noticed these very feline looking eyes observing the Observer?

Would the body have been at present day ground level or above? I know that as time progresses, newer buildings seem to be higher than older buildings that stood on the same spot.
                    I saw them too! Case closed!!
                    I recall very clearly (First time for everything) passing the Queens Head on our London Job...that's the place!
                    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Thanks for that Philip and Suzi, didn't realise that the actual building i.e. the Queens Head still stood, certainly regard that building in a different light next time I'm in the area. A question for Philip is Shordich mortuary still in existance, my freind thinks not?

all the best

Observer

Comment

• So in the last pic of what was once Millers Court, if Kelly's body was lying lengthways along the pavement at the second pillar from the left, does that mean that where the picture taker is standing is basically the entrance to Millers Court off Dorset St?

Comment

• Thanks for those, Observer.

Notice the location of the lamp outside the Queen's Head.

Comment

• Hi Chava

Not quite, but you have the right idea and are in the general location.

Observer - Rob and I are still on the lookout for images of the old Shoreditch mortuary. The best we have at present are ideas of its shape from the OS maps. The mortuary has long gone and a ramshackle storage shed is on its rough site behind the church today.

PHILIP

Comment

• Right Phil regarding the mortuarty are there any signs of old foundations?

Hi Ben

So do you reckon that the lamp is in the same position as it was in 1888?

all the best

Observer

Comment

• The Hanbury Street Shelter
                                All the World
                                1 May 1889
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X