Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rob, those pictures are amazing, and show just how modern man has taken over! Just look at the street clutter on each shot!
    Regards Mike

Comment

• BRILLIANT!!!!!!!! Clacky!! They're the cat's ***!! You just can't beat B&W I say!! Sooooooooooooooooperb!!

Suz xx
      'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
        Rob, those pictures are amazing, and show just how modern man has taken over! Just look at the street clutter on each shot!
        ...a darned sight better, I guess, than many of the streets would have looked like in 1888, Mike - at least most of the sewage in those photos is actually under the road, and there's scarcely a pigeon-dropping in shot, let alone any of the horsey variety! That must connote progress of a certain degree
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Superb - I would say unique - images, Rob.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
            ...a darned sight better, I guess, than many of the streets would have looked like in 1888, Mike - at least most of the sewage in those photos is actually under the road, and there's scarcely a pigeon-dropping in shot, let alone any of the horsey variety! That must connote progress of a certain degree
            No s**t, Sam

Fab photos again, Rob. Absolutely love the first two.
            best,

claire

Comment

• As I said Rob.

Per-saving the past.

You got a kinda 60s vibe going on their. Not that Id know, wasnt born then.

Monty
              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Excellent shots, Rob - thanks!

Thanks for that 3 Nuns Hotel photo also - somehow, to me, this is one of the top "buildings that should have survived".

Comment

• Superb pics, Rob, love the look you've gotten with your B&W - the same sort of look I try to get on some of my B&W portraits, with very intense highlights and boosted shadows. I blame Diane Arbus Do you shoot film or digital?

B.
                  Bailey
                  Wellington, New Zealand
                  hoodoo@xtra.co.nz
                  www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsephotographic/

Comment

• Hi Bailey,

I shoot in digital as it's easier, but I do prefer the look of slide film. I've got a tool on my photoshop called 'clarify' which is great in bringing out detail;

The Bell Lane photo, I wasn't to happy with in colour and the clouds were overexposed and looked horrible.

Bell Lane before
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Bell Lane colour.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	654922

and after

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bell Lane bw.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	654923

Quite a difference I think.

Rob

Comment

• Great pics Rob!
                      Unlike Monty, I was born in the sixties and remember when everything was black and white.

Full strength clarify?...gotta try that. They have a platinum look to them, fantastic effect anyway.

Comment

• However, when compared physically against you, it is difficult to argue that Im the younger.

Monty
                        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• It's the Formaldehyde in my ciggies Monty....although those midnight visits from Torres have taken their toll!
                          I've got Rob photoshopping me these days!

Comment

• Thanks, Rob. The B&W is so much more striking visually - turns what looks like an ordinary photo of a street into something far more interesting.

B.
                            Bailey
                            Wellington, New Zealand
                            hoodoo@xtra.co.nz
                            www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsephotographic/

Comment

• Remarkable images. I've spent some time just staring at them, engrossed!
                              Thank you for sharing!

Comment

• Hey Rob- Just looking back at them again 'cos am off work half a finger less (don't ask!) and wondered whether what you can see of White's Row roadwise would be an approximation of the width of the original road from modern kerb to modern kerb...hence also the width of Dosset St also?? Just a thought.......

Suzi x
                                'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Working...
                                X