Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I could never quite gauge which direction this photo is looking. ? Would Millers Court be on the left hand side and looking up to the Britannia or is it looking the other way ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason View Post
      I could never quite gauge which direction this photo is looking. ? Would Millers Court be on the left hand side and looking up to the Britannia or is it looking the other way ?
      It's looking eastwards towards Commercial Street. Your right Millers Court would be on the left near the vehicle in the road.

Rob

Comment

• Some fantastic photos in there.

Comment

• Cheers rob

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
            Probably harder for animals Bun.

This is the Dorset Street one:

[ATTACH]16457[/ATTACH]

Rob
            Hi Rob, thanks. Sorry, I misunderstood you; I thought you meant there was a Dorset Street photo in the Spitalfields Life article that I missed.

Is that famous view of Dorset Street the only Victorian one we have?

Seems like there's a long gap in the photographic record until the view of the Miller's Court area being demolished.

Thanks,
            Bunny

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
              Hi Rob, thanks. Sorry, I misunderstood you; I thought you meant there was a Dorset Street photo in the Spitalfields Life article that I missed.

Is that famous view of Dorset Street the only Victorian one we have?

Seems like there's a long gap in the photographic record until the view of the Miller's Court area being demolished.

Thanks,
              Bunny
              There's a couple of poor quality ones from 1904 and one from 1912 from a similar position as the Jack London one. But that's about it at the moment.

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                There's a couple of poor quality ones from 1904 and one from 1912 from a similar position as the Jack London one. But that's about it at the moment.

Rob
                Well, here's hoping something turns up on eBay!

Thanks,
                Bunny

Comment

• Just got home from work and found the postman has delivered a copy of Jack Londons ' People of the Abyss '. ......that's my reading material sorted for the next week ! ....,as a little footnote , Adelaide Springett in the. Spitalfields Nippers book lived at no 12 Millers Court ! Just noticed that last night !!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                    Hi Jason

That good? How much?

All the best

Dave
                    Did you buy it yet Dave ? If so , what do you think ?

Comment

• I had to wait for payday Jason, but I ordered it, and it's been dispatched...just waiting for delivery now...of course I've Neil's (very good) book to finish first...

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Got mine as a birthday present ....it's fantastic Dave

Comment

• A great thread and some great pics. thanks to all posters.

Comment

• Hi eighty-eighter.

Have you made it through the whole thread yet?

It's fun to just pick a random page and start reading, it's amazing how much knowledge one can gain that way. But if you're a diehard like many of us you have to start on Page 1.

Cheers,
                            Archaic

Comment

• -> http://spitalfieldslife.com/2015/05/...s-photographs/
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Would that picture be from when 29 Hanbury Street was being knocked down in the late 60s/early 70s?
                                Some time ago I went all through this thread from page 1. Utterly fascinating, thought provoking and time consuming. It took me many, many days.
                                I remember one very vividly, but cannot remember which page, of a home being built in to a railway arch.
                                Some of these places were still standing when I went on my forst Ripper walk in about 1974. Especially remember very well the Rothschild Buildings which were empty and about to come down.

Comment

Working...
                                X