Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colin can you read the street sign at the top? I can't.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
      Colin can you read the street sign at the top? I can't.
      That actually says 'No Ball Games'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
        Hi Jason

That good? How much?

All the best

Dave
        £20 notes ...... The photos are incredible and the book quality is too ....well worth the money IMO .

Comment

• Nice one, yen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
            Raincoat man entering the shop gets a good British Shag?
            Is there any other kind. ?

Comment

• £20 notes ...... The photos are incredible and the book quality is too ....well worth the money IMO .
              Thanks Jason...it's on my list then!

Cheers

Dave

Comment

• Hi Stephen, how are you?

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                Raincoat man entering the shop gets a good British Shag?
                Oh, my gosh! Not in front of the children.

But perhaps you mean the Mod/Glam haircut?

I'm not going to google it. Hmm, knowing you "shag" may be obscure English slang for some kind of specialty food with a cult following, or some sort of alcoholic beverage or tobacco, also with a cult following.

Am I close?

Cheers,
                Archaic

Comment

• Hi Archaic

As you suggest (and I suspect know!) try the latter

All the best

DAve

Comment

• Hi Dave.

Actually, I don't know. Stephen is very good at coming up with obscure slang.

By "the latter" do you mean it's booze or cigarettes?

Sorry; I speak some Anglo-English, but mostly just American-English.

Archaic

Comment

• Tobacco

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Thanks Dave.

Archaic

Comment

• Jack London's Photos of East End, 'Spitalfield's Life' Article

The Gentle Author has put together another wonderful article, this one a collection of Jack London photographs.

There's Itchy Park, Wentworth Street, a doss house, people sleeping in the streets & parks, women fighting, etc.

The third photo shows a woman in the who looks like she might be a small-time flower seller or something of the sort. She's obviously dressed in many layers of clothing, with a large apron over her skirt of the type Katherine Eddowes probably wore.
                          I think some of the Ripper victims would have had a similarly layered and "bulky" appearance, though perhaps somewhat shabbier.

The last photo shows a woman washing clothing in a small room, using a large wash tub set upon a chair near a window next to the fireplace, and gives a good idea of how Mary Kelly must have done her washing.

Spitalfield's Life, 'Jack London, Photographer': http://spitalfieldslife.com/2014/11/...-photographer/

Best regards,
                          Archaic

Comment

• I'm lucky enough to have an early edition of this. I don't actually think Jack London took the photos himself or whether all of them were taken specifically for this book. The Dorset Street photo turned up a year or so earlier in 'Living London'

The Working Mens Home, Wentworth Street photo is actually Thrawl Street.
                            The small doss house photograph I thought at one time might be Little Paternoster Row. But I am leaning towards it being North East Passage, off Cable Street.

It would be great if the original photos turned up and not the retouched for publication photographs.

Rob

Comment

• Hi Rob, thanks.

Which one is Dorset Street? I can't remember.

The 3rd pic with the two cart horses had me looking closely at the details of the people and the horses.

The horse on the left is a beautiful dapple gray, and his knees are utterly ruined from pulling heavy loads on hard paved streets without thick rubber shoes to protect his hooves and joints. Both front knees are swollen and he's holding up his right foreleg in pain. Poor guy.

But at least he looks well fed and cared for, unlike many of the workhorses I see in Victorian photographs. Some of them look so wretched, over-worked and miserable it really pains me.

It was a hard life, for both people and animals.

Best regards,
                              Archaic

Comment

• Probably harder for animals Bun.

This is the Dorset Street one:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dorset-street-1902.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	665834

Rob

Comment