Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also the wrong end of Bucks Row. Makes me wonder whether there were others taken at the same time.

Comment

• One of the pages seems to have disappeared from the Casebook Photo Archive. Durward St should have 3 pages but page 2 is missing.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
        Are these images of the murder sites well known? I've never seen them before.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/...ystery-7732111
        Hi, MrBarnett.
        That's a useful link, thank you.
        I've seen the Hanbury St. photographs before but the Mitre Sq. images are new to me. Iregardless of whether they depict the precise scenes of the murders, they certainly serve to illustrate the buildings that overlook the confines of the square. One can imagine, even with lamps and a few window lights, just how dark and treacherous a place it could have been at night.
        Yours, Caligo.
        Last edited by Caligo Umbrator; 10-10-2014, 07:21 PM. Reason: punctuation.
        https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/flag_uk.gif "I know why the sun never sets on the British Empire: God wouldn't trust an Englishman in the dark."

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	M9B.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	665753

This is looking into Church Passage from Mitre Square

Click image for larger version

Name:	M10b.jpg
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	665754

Looking out of that passage onto the square. The murder scene at far motorcycle.
          Sink the Bismark

Comment

• Thanks for those Roy.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Caligo Umbrator View Post
              Hi, MrBarnett.
              That's a useful link, thank you.
              I've seen the Hanbury St. photographs before but the Mitre Sq. images are new to me. Iregardless of whether they depict the precise scenes of the murders, they certainly serve to illustrate the buildings that overlook the confines of the square. One can imagine, even with lamps and a few window lights, just how dark and treacherous a place it could have been at night.
              Yours, Caligo.
              It was the Bucks Row photos that most impressed me. If they were taken by someone interested in JTR, it seems strange that they are of the Brady Street end.

Comment

• This is fascinating stuff. Thanks for posting the photographs etc. As a young teenager I was taken over some of the sites by a relative who was interested in Jack the Ripper. I presume these photos are from the same vintage, early 1960's? A lot's changed in that area of London in fifty years!

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                  It was the Bucks Row photos that most impressed me. If they were taken by someone interested in JTR, it seems strange that they are of the Brady Street end.
                  Hi, MrBarnett.
                  Interesting that you point that out - I hadn't noticed.
                  I have a 1965 copy of 'When London Walked in Terror' by Tom Cullen. The end papers, on the front and back inside covers, are decorated with a white on red map depicting the locations of the murders.
                  Unhappily, the map doesn't demonstrate the accuracy one might wish for if one were using it to wander around Whitechapel. The Bucks Row location is incorrectly marked as is the one at Hanbury St.
                  If someone with an interest in photographically recording the locations was to use this map as a guide, they might produce the discrepancy you've noted.
                  Certainly the vehicles present in the images suggest a date of the early to mid 1960's.
                  It would be interesting to know their origin.
                  In any case images of this area of London, that represent the original locales more or less intact, are greatly appreciated.

Yours, Caligo.
                  https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/flag_uk.gif "I know why the sun never sets on the British Empire: God wouldn't trust an Englishman in the dark."

Comment

• Mitre Square

Name:	Mwhiffen.jpg
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	665765

Name:	M10b.jpg
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	665766

This is the same view as the 1925 William Whiffen photo in Casebook photo archives. Looking towards Ripper corner.

At right, the Kearley and Tonge sign is gone, but it's the same building. Tayler's building directly ahead was taken down.
                    Sink the Bismark

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
                      At right, the Kearley and Tonge sign is gone, but it's the same building. Tayler's building directly ahead was taken down.
                      The 5 pigeons are still there ..... !!

Nice photo Roy, thanks

Comment

• Are the pigeons stuffed?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                          Are the pigeons stuffed?
                          Just found them on Ancestry. The pigeons in the later photo are descendants and still live on the same window sill in Mitre Street.

Comment

• And what a tale their ancestors could have told!

Comment

• Those pigeons merit further investigation. I recently acquired an old piece of clothing with a stain on it that appears to have come from a bird. I plan on having it tested

Comment

• Originally posted by magoo View Post
                                Those pigeons merit further investigation. I recently acquired an old piece of clothing with a stain on it that appears to have come from a bird. I plan on having it tested
                                If you use a reputable scientist, he should be able to identify it as a plop group.

MrB

Comment

Working...
                                X