Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing stuff Chris...they were so interesting in the first place, and now they're something else...thanks to both of you

Dave

Comment

• Age of the Essex Wharf Buildng

Hi Chris, thanks for the info.

I'm a bit confused by the 1870's date given. Essex Wharf doesn't look like an 1870's building to me, in my opinion it looks earlier.

Its proportions, the curiously angled windows, and the classical motif over the door all suggest its design was influenced by the Egyptian Revival style- which is actually why I like it so much.

My guess would be more like the 1820's; maybe even a little earlier.

But who knows, maybe the architect was just a cool guy who liked the Egyptian Revival style?

Thanks,
      Archaic

Comment

• Hi Archaic
        The 1870s date is as given on the link in my last post but where they got it from I don't know
        It might be worth looking at the Whitechapel Society site or even dropping them a line to see if they know
        Chris

Comment

• I've been enjoying lurking on this thread looking at all the pics.

I wonder if anyone has any George-Chapman-related photos that are suitable for use in my book. I've got photos of The Crown and the basement of the White Hart, and his Hastings premises, but I don't have a good one of the exterior of the White Hart or any other location associated with him.

Helena
          Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
            Hi Archaic
            The 1870s date is as given on the link in my last post but where they got it from I don't know
            It might be worth looking at the Whitechapel Society site or even dropping them a line to see if they know
            Chris
            Thanks for your help, Chris.

Another thing I've always wondered about the 'Essex Wharf' building is why it's called that? After all, it isn't a wharf.

Was it the office of some shipping company?

Thanks,
            Archaic

Comment

• Essex Wharf was built between 1876 and 1881. Don't know the exact date but it was around that time. Haven't the foggiest why it was named that.

Rob

Comment

• Hi Rob, thanks for that info.

To me it doesn't look like an 1870's building, but I'll take your word for it. (And Chris's too of course.)

Maybe someone will come along and enlighten us as to the cryptic name.

Cheers,
                Archaic

Comment

• Hi Bun,

It doesn't appear on the large scale O.S map from 1873 so it's definitely after that date. It's mentioned in the 1881 Census. I am thinking around 1876 because of the underground work being done at the time. The board school was built around that time and also some of the houses opposite Essex Wharf were built around then, New Cottage for example.

Rob

Comment

• Essex Wharf

Thanks Rob.

I found this 1902 ad for a company located in the Essex Wharf building that made "Ornamental Brickwork". It was in a journal called 'Academy Architecture & Architectural Review.

I wonder if they were located there in 1888, and if perhaps they helped construct the handsome brick building?

Thanks,
                    Archaic

PS: I like how they added their "Telegraphic Address: Bricks, London". A bit like promoting a domain name or a Twitter account now.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• I like how they added their "Telegraphic Address: Bricks, London". A bit like promoting a domain name or a Twitter account now.
                      It was exactly that...

Cheers

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                        Thanks Rob.

I found this 1902 ad for a company located in the Essex Wharf building that made "Ornamental Brickwork". It was in a journal called 'Academy Architecture & Architectural Review.

I wonder if they were located there in 1888, and if perhaps they helped construct the handsome brick building?

Thanks,
                        Archaic

PS: I like how they added their "Telegraphic Address: Bricks, London". A bit like promoting a domain name or a Twitter account now.
                        It's possible. He was there in the 1882 Directory. I think Essex Wharf was essentially two places at the time. A residential building at the front and a builders yard behind. People seem to forget or don't know that it went back a fair distance.

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                          Thanks for your help, Chris.

Another thing I've always wondered about the 'Essex Wharf' building is why it's called that? After all, it isn't a wharf.

Was it the office of some shipping company?

Thanks,
                          Archaic
                          Hey Bun,

Here in the UK we use the word Quay with regards shipping. Wharves are usually linked with canals and latterly railways with regards the loading and unloading of goods.

As Essex Wharf sat next to the East London Railway line (which ran to Essex) and near yards, I assume it was used as a storage facility of sorts.

I believe Essex Wharf is connected to the land on which the building stands as opposed to the building on its own.

Monty
                          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Essex Wharf

Hi Monty, thanks for that info.

In the U.S, we seldom use the word "quay". We say "pier", "dock", or "wharf".

It didn't occur to me that the term "wharf" would be used in connection with a canal or railway; I guess we would call it a "station".

I found another article about the brick company located in Essex Wharf. It says it's an "old-established" firm, so perhaps it was located there in 1888.
                            The journal is 'The British Clay Worker', May 1905. The article refers to brick-maker's exhibits, but I'm not sure what the exhibition itself was called. Maybe it was a sort of trade show?

By the way, I saw numerous ads & exhibits for asbestos-related bricks, including a company called 'Asbestic Brick & Tile'. Asbestos was a common component of the heat-resistant 'firebricks' used for chimneys and furnaces.

Best regards,
                            Archaic
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Essex Wharf Brick Company In 1889

I just found a mention of the brick company James Brown Ltd in an 1889 architectural journal.

The 1889 ad says 'London Depot: Essex Wharf, Buck's Row, Whitechapel E.' and has the same cool ending, "Telegraphic Address: Bricks, London."

Best regards,
                              Archaic

Comment

• A 1911 London Gazette item mentions Frazzi Fireproof Construction Ltd as having a registered office at Essex Wharf.

Comment

Working...
                                X