Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrrr......Drummond Street I know very well, I lived in Camden Town for a while (a few doors away from Sickerts House in Mornington Cresent, pics to come) and used to walk through Drummond to work. Also have done the same as you with the Bars and Restaurants many a time and many a good time had.

Not to get too off topic, but what were your favorite local places? I loved Ravi Shankar (menu only) and Chutney's (for the buffet). Both are vegetarian Indian restaurants, but even my omnivorous friends and family praised their food.

Just to make this post relevant to JTR, I wonder who inhabited Drummond Street in 1888. I have some time, now, so I might just look that up before I forget.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrummondStreet View Post
      Thanks to Monty and Barro, I was able to do a Google search on the soup kitchen and found some more history. No historical photos, but this page does include some current views of the building's interior.

http://www.jewisheastend.com/brune.html
      Nice work.....views I have never seen before.

As for Drummond Street...Chutneys, Ravi,s and Sankur....and all after a right skin full in the Crown and Anchor Pub on the corner which is still going strong !!

Happy Dayz !!
      Last edited by Barro; 04-18-2012, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Not to get too off topic, but what were your favorite local places? I loved Ravi Shankar (menu only) and Chutney's (for the buffet). Both are vegetarian Indian restaurants, but even my omnivorous friends and family praised their food.

Just to make this post relevant to JTR, I wonder who inhabited Drummond Street in 1888. I have some time, now, so I might just look that up before I forget.
        Sort of back on topic .....

Anthony Hardy dubbed the Camden Ripper was a regular at a pub called The Sols Arms at the top of Drummond Street and Hampstead Road. We used to see him in there all the time and regarded him as the local nutter and was always bombed out of his skull due to collecting his medication across Euston Road in the University College Hospital (The UCH) and then drinking on it. (this was not known until his arrest so he was regarded as an oddball)

Way before he was arrested for the Camden Killings he was in there on a saturday afternoon, there was a sporting event taking place and the pub was packed with familys and people of all ages. He made a remark and touched a young girl of about 11 years intimately which resulted in him being given a serious beating and having darts thrown at him outside by the pub regulars. My cousin was in there with his wife and some people he worked with and was one of the people questioned by the resulting police attendance !

It also came about during the arrest and trial that one of his victims by the name of Maclennan had a child in the same school as my children and apparently my partner spoke to her often....personally I didnt know her.

Just a small piece of trivia to bring us back to association.

HWH
        Last edited by Barro; 04-18-2012, 09:58 PM. Reason: spelt victims name wrong !

Comment

• Wow! This is the first I've heard of the Camden Ripper. I wonder why he didn't get the same global news coverage as the Suffolk Strangler. Steven Wright had me pinned to the news way across the pond back in November and December 2006.

Regarding Drummond Street history: so far, I've only looked at Booth's poverty map and most of the street is colored red for middle class. I think it was red, but maybe purple Interestingly, at the crescent, the street abruptly turns blue (for poverty). Haven't found any Victorian photos yet.

I looked Booth's map again, and Drummond Street is most certainly purple with an occasional spot of red. Apologies.
          Last edited by DrummondStreet; 04-19-2012, 04:09 AM. Reason: New info

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
            Hi Barro,

By 02 I mean 1902, not 2002. And by not contemporary, I usually mean not 1888.

Apologies for the confusion.

Monty
            Hello Monty,
            Just wanted to thank you for one of the best 'laughs' I've had in ages!
            Carol

Comment

• Here are some photographs of C. A. Mathews, and modern counterparts. (Blog entries from 21. and 20. April 2012)

Comment

• Really interesting link. You certainly took your life in your hands.

Regards, Bridewell.
                I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• That is an excellent link...very interesting indeed...

Thanks

Dave

Comment

• some more of interest !

walking back to sessions (clerkenwell).
                    Attached Files

Comment

• guess who shopped here ?

its was the location of ........?
                      Attached Files

Comment

• judges escapes

Little is it reported that the poor and un-needed, rebelled against what was called authority.....long had london had a ruling class that took the money from the working.......hence the ruling classes had to have an escape....even judges after handing down a unpopular gavel !!
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Doric Lodge 933

http://www.doric933.com/ ( Scroll to 1880.s )

I actually met modern ranking decendants tonight.....and id like to thank you for giving me a warm welcome and the invite to return.

The hard copy of references (curtesy of dalhoisie) will be uploaded shortly.

Thank you Dalhousie for access and a free run with material for casebook !!

HWH.

Comment

• Hi Barro,

Photo #3 taken from under the arch (from post #3339) is gorgeous. I love the effect of the rain on the pavement. The sight of wet streets and sidewalks always triggers my memories of London. Although, I don't believe the city is nearly as rainy as its reputation.
                            Last edited by DrummondStreet; 04-22-2012, 06:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                              Nice Victorian street there at 0.27. A giant Millers Court, no less.

No doubt it was bulldozed soon after.
                              One of the comments said it was filmed on Norah Street in Bethnal Green. I think it was demolished in the 1970's.

Here's a personal history of it from an old resident

Comment

Hi Barro,

Photo #3 taken from under the arch (from post #3339) is gorgeous. I love the effect of the rain on the pavement. The sight of wet streets and sidewalks always triggers my memories of London. Although, I don't believe the city is nearly as rainy as its reputation.
                                Glad you like it....its a lovely area to have food and drinks at in the summer....heres a link with some history for you.

HWH

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_John's_Gate,_Clerkenwell

Comment

Working...
                                X