Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonderfully evocative pictures Barro...thanks for posting...Can't say I'd fancy Catherine Wheel Alley after dark!

All the best

Dave

Comment

• more..

A modern day view.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Glad to be of service.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
          Wonderfully evocative pictures Barro...thanks for posting...Can't say I'd fancy Catherine Wheel Alley after dark!

All the best

Dave
          Thank you Dave.....im no photographer unlike some here (that have submitted superb efforts) but I,ll keep at it.

I,ll have more access to the session house this weekend so i,ll try a few more.

Health Wealth and Happiness to ya !!

Comment

• Great photos, Barro Thanks for sharing.

Where is the building with the inscription "Soup Kitchen" located? Any history on that place?

Until you acknowledged that it was you, I thought the man dressed in formal attire and standing in front of the Sessions House was a doorman/guard

Comment

• Originally posted by DrummondStreet View Post
              Great photos, Barro Thanks for sharing.

Where is the building with the inscription "Soup Kitchen" located? Any history on that place?

Until you acknowledged that it was you, I thought the man dressed in formal attire and standing in front of the Sessions House was a doorman/guard
              Hi there Drummond

Im affraid the ugly git in the suit is me...."I think their doorman gets to sit inside and is better looking"

The old soup kitchen was for the "Jewish Poor" and it is in Brune Street Spitalfields, I knew that a Magazine Company once opperated out of there but of late I have seen no comings or goings......saying that.....I havent been past there during the working week for a long time.

Your log in name....is that are reference to Drummond Street Euston by any chance ?

HWH.

Comment

• Brune Street Jewish Soup kitchen Drummond.

Not contemporary, went up in 02, but very beautiful. Its at the back of Whites Row, between Tenter Ground and Toynebee Street.

Monty
                Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                  Brune Street Jewish Soup kitchen Drummond.

Not contemporary, went up in 02, but very beautiful. Its at the back of Whites Row, between Tenter Ground and Toynebee Street.

Monty
                  Cheers Monty.

I knew very little of that building.....is it some sort of replica as to what it was once, as it states on the facade the jewish poor and seems to be trying to replicate for it to have gone up in 02.

HWH

Comment

• Hi there Barro!

Thank you so much for sharing the photographs with us and for your hard work. We're really glad you've joined us!

Health, wealth and happiness to you, too!

Carol

Comment

• Hi Barro,

By 02 I mean 1902, not 2002. And by not contemporary, I usually mean not 1888.

Apologies for the confusion.

Monty
                      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Your log in name....is that are reference to Drummond Street Euston by any chance ?

Yes, it is! Great call, I was waiting for someone to figure that out.

I lived in London for ~8 months on a student work visa. While there, my friends and I would frequent the Indian restaurants on Drummond Street. Those are some of my happiest memories of London.

Thanks for the history on the soup kitchen. Gives me an idea --I have a new recipe for cream of asparagus soup and might just prepare it tonight .

Comment

• Originally posted by Carol View Post
                          Hi there Barro!

Thank you so much for sharing the photographs with us and for your hard work. We're really glad you've joined us!

Health, wealth and happiness to you, too!

Carol
                          Thank you much Carol and I,ll have another go at some more for the thread this weekend.

HWH

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                            Hi Barro,

By 02 I mean 1902, not 2002. And by not contemporary, I usually mean not 1888.

Apologies for the confusion.

Monty
                            No Apols needed Monty.....Im having a very "slow" day but thank you much for the info.

HWH

Comment

• Originally posted by DrummondStreet View Post
                              Yes, it is! Great call, I was waiting for someone to figure that out.

I lived in London for ~8 months on a student work visa. While there, my friends and I would frequent the Indian restaurants on Drummond Street. Those are some of my happiest memories of London.

Thanks for the history on the soup kitchen. Gives me an idea --I have a new recipe for cream of asparagus soup and might just prepare it tonight .
                              Arrrr......Drummond Street I know very well, I lived in Camden Town for a while (a few doors away from Sickerts House in Mornington Cresent, pics to come) and used to walk through Drummond to work. Also have done the same as you with the Bars and Restaurants many a time and many a good time had.

Small World.
                              HWH

Comment

• Thanks to Monty and Barro, I was able to do a Google search on the soup kitchen and found some more history. No historical photos, but this page does include some current views of the building's interior.

Comment

Working...
                                X