Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• her grave is looking a bit shoddy these days isnt it ?

Comment

• Yeah, and it looks like somebody made off with the little bottle of gin.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason View Post
        her grave is looking a bit shoddy these days isnt it ?
        Personally, I think it looks fine apart from needing tidied up a bit.

No offence to anyone but the spruced up Kelly grave was one of the tackiest things I've seen.

Comment

• Originally posted by jason_c View Post
          Personally, I think it looks fine apart from needing tidied up a bit.

No offence to anyone but the spruced up Kelly grave was one of the tackiest things I've seen.
          Hi Jason.

I confess to not having seen the "spruced-up" grave, and so can't comment on how tacky, or otherwise, it was. However, unless it was truly tastelessly executed, I don't see anything wrong with sprucing up the grave of a tragic murder victim. It's not as though she can do it herself.

It's rather a sad little grave and I, for one, commend anyone who went to the trouble of tidying it up a bit. That said, it would be interesting to do a comparison - if anyone has a photo from the "spruced-up" era.

Regards, Bridewell
          I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamWalsh View Post
            Here is a video I shot at Marys grave - the song playing is of course the song she was heard singing her final night - I played it on my phone whilst the camera recorded the scene.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrUzgpRB4ZI
            Hello Adam,

That was really kind of you to post the little video and the song for us. I found it very moving and terribly sad. It was the first time I had heard the song.

Carol
            Last edited by Carol; 03-17-2012, 07:15 PM.

Comment

• I can only echo Carol's thoughts; eerily moving. It also made me feel somewhat guilty. Despite having an interest in the JtR case stretching back to the early 1980's, when I was working to and from London in the late 90's and despite having two days during the week "free time", I never thought to visit the the graves of those poor women. To paraphrase a certain late, celebrated Northern Irish footballer - I spent much of the time in the public houses of London town, the rest I wasted.

Actually that's not strictly true; in reality I took advantage of the proximity of the many record offices and started tracing my family tree which, however, does nothing to salve my conscience since the inspiration (at least in part) to do this came from the fact that my direct maternal line contains the surnames Nichols and Kelly (and, as I found some time later, Chapman).

Many thanks for posting the video.

Comment

• Hi Janner

Well, for 53 years I lived a short train ride from these graves and didn't visit them, nor do I intend to. Selfish I suppose but I hate feeling down.

Comment

• Hello Robert

I think that's fair enough in all honesty - at least you have some reasoning.

Without being too melodramatic, Adam's video really struck a chord and I realised with some disappointment that even the thought of visiting the graves never even crossed my mind.

Perhaps something for the future?

Comment

• Well, yes, Janner, if you feel like going there, you could leave some flowers if you want.

Enjoy using the boards, anyhow.

Comment

• Hi everyone, I'm new to posting on the forums but I have enjoyed them for a very long time, and I just want to say thank you to all of you who have provided us with photos and other illustrations on this thread. I've been slowly working through the thread right from the beginning again, and I'm currently around page 90, but I felt the need to skip forward and post a message to you all. I've had a fascination in the Ripper case since my teens, and the various photographs, both old and new, really invoke a feeling of "being there" (for want of a better expression). Wonderful wonderful stuff. I get a very creepy feeling sometimes, thinking that maybe, just maybe, the Ripper is there, close by, when the picture was taken.

Comment

• Hi booth

I know exactly what you mean...and the Mary Kelly ones (even the one of the two windows in Millers Court) really do put the creeps up me!

Welcome to the boards....like you I just joined after visiting for ages...

Dave

Comment

• Taylors Cocoa & Mustard Factory

Hi all,

In conjunction with http://forum.casebook.org/showthread...newpost&t=6525

Ironically enough, Rob Clack and I was discussing the alledged spot of Emma Smiths attack and specifically Taylors Cocoa & Mustard Factory.

Rob felt that the retaining wall survives in part and Im in agreement with him.

Below are images I took of the wall last Sunday morning.

Monty
                          Attached Files
                          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Hi Dave, and thank you.

The Millers Court photos are incredibly powerful for me! I know how you feel, there is a very real eeriness about them. For me, the saddest photos are those of the back yard at Hanbury street. Such a simple, ordinary location, like many up and down the country. To know that an evil sick man murdered a woman there really invokes the whole feeling of the case in my mind.

By his actions locations are made notorious. When I see the present day photos of the same locations it really sends a shiver up my spine to know that dreadful things happened in these places. But for all that, this thread is still incredibly compelling and interesting. I can't stop reading it!

booth

Comment

• Re Taylors

I've never been there, but this certainly looks to be old brickwork...An interesting lack of bond at the top of the first picture though makes me think garden wall rather than factory wall...could they have recycled old bricks at that point do you think?

The other pics look to be the business though...

Dave

Comment

• Just a test of uploading !
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X