This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lechmere,
    Yup, that's THE John M. On the bottom of the marker (right side) it says "John McCarthy of Spitalfields". I've always thought it curious that Mary Kelly's plot was so near...
    Last edited by John Malcolm; 04-19-2011, 05:25 AM. Reason: Wanted to add something.

Comment

• As John says, Lech, you found it alright. (The A-Z gives McCarthy's death date as 1935, but that must be a typo.)

Photos of the grave marker were posted a few years ago (maybe before the last crash) but I definitely remember the angel on top.

Nice shots. And I'm glad to see that people continue to remember MJK.

Comment

• Oh no, it looks like Mr. Diddles is gone! What heartless grave desecrating xxxxxxx would take that? Unbelievable.

Comment

• Adam - do you mean the 1st floor of the Ten Bells? It is just part of the pub - i.e. used by customers to drink in

Comment

• can anybody help with the exact location of this
            http://www.salvationarmy.org/heritage.nsf/graphicslookup/FieldgateSt2.jpg/$file/Fieldgate%20St%202%20.jpg
            according to the dead pubs site,the Kings Arms public house moved around and may have been on the site previously the Prince of Orange public house at the time of this sketch.

Comment

• Just some bits n bobs

Monty
              Attached Files
              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• I suspect these may be part of the foundation walls for Browne & Eagle warehouse in Bucks Row.

If so, gives one an idea of how wide the Row was, if not....apologies.

Monty
                Attached Files
                Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• For anyone who hasn't seen the website of the parish church of St George in the East, it contains a lot of local history and a number of old photographs of the area:

Comment

• Am I right in thinking that this automatic barrier at the Commercial Street end of ‘Dorset Street’ is new?

Also they are digging up Altab Ali Park and bits of the masonry of St Mary’s Church have been flung all over the place. They don’t seem to be doing it very carefully archaeologically speaking.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Finally Ive got to a PC, used Photoshop to re-size my images, and can upload these shots Ive taken over the last couple months - unfortunately no pc/net at home so am limited with my posting these days.

Here we go - sure you studious lot will know where they are all taken, havent worked out how to post descriptions between images and dont have time right now (am on the clock in net-cafe) to find out!

Hope you enjoy anyhow!
                      Attached Files

Comment

• I remember I read somewhere on the forum that the Thames Police used to photograph every dead body found in the Thames since 1872. If that was the case, what happened to those photographs? Does anyone here have a clue/ heard about such practices?
                        greetings
                        Lukas
                        " The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. "

Albert Einstein

Comment

• The armchair of Joseph Merrick aka. The Elephant man
                          " The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. "

Albert Einstein

Comment

• @ AdamWalsh:

I can't make out whether these are Bangladeshis or Ripper Walk tour guides dressed in Victorian-style clothes. Who or what are these people?!

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamWalsh View Post
                              havent worked out how to post descriptions between images
                              The best way is to put the description above the illustration without a space.
                              allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Originally posted by Mascara & Paranoia View Post
                                @ AdamWalsh:

I can't make out whether these are Bangladeshis or Ripper Walk tour guides dressed in Victorian-style clothes. Who or what are these people?!
                                Three ladies in full muslim dress in front of the murder scene in Henriques St.

Comment

Working...
                                X