This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
    15 candles. Same as two Bic lighters. Told ya.
    and these held 12 ft above the ground.

Comment

• Turned up full? Yep.

Comment

• Jack may as well have been operating in total darkness - no one is really going to see anything at a distance. This does beg a question (though perhaps not to be answered in this thread). What was the ambient noise like in the Whitechapel area? At 2am, how much noise would there actually be? Sure some people moving, but what about factories? Traffic? General movement?

Comment

• I had previously thought that there was only one light right at the end of Bucks Row by Brady Street. The other three threw me. In any case 15 candles is if they are working well. One out of three at Mitre Square wasn't so it may be fair to assume that some of these weren't either.
          I am trying to find out more about this whole subject.
          I have always thought that in most cases, Jack the Ripper was killing in virtually total darkness. I suspect that on a dark night, the light thrown from 15 candles would be fairly noticeable. Maybe not.
          By the same token, when the only background noise is the distant and irregular clop of a horse on Whitechapel Road, footsteps (and they didn't wear training shoes) would have been more audible I think.

By the way I think the light measurement was set against what were called sperm candles. Just thought I'd throw that into the mix.
          From whale oil I presume.
          Last edited by Lechmere; 01-22-2011, 01:55 AM.

Comment

• "From whale oil I presume."

One hopes!

And yes, operating in almost total darkness, and in virtual silence. he would have been able to hear people coming, but not see them that well - and vice versa, of course.

Comment

• Castle Alley ?

Apologies if this has already been posted/discussed but am I correct in thinking this photo shows Castle Alley ? if so, does it show the murder spot of Alice McKenzie ?

It shows A school on the right then what I think would be the wash/bath house beyond ? but that building appears to have at least 4-5 levels/floors ?
              The remains of the building that exists today only has two floors.

It is marked as c1890 too. Does anyone know if a better copy exists ?

Kind regards

Comment

• Hello Toynbee !

Yes I do believe it is a photo of Castle Alley, Old Castle Street looking towards Castle Alley.

The Three Crowns Pub can be seen on the right.

The taller buildings you mention are not the wash houses, I think the edge of the wash houses can just be seen. It would appear then that this would show the murder spot of Alice McKenzie or very close. You can just about see a lamp post near that spot.
                The photo is marked on the back as 1890 although I would say its closer to 1900 or later.

This photo also appears in the book The London of Jack the Ripper Then & Now by R.Clack & P Hutchinson but it is a very small image.

Have a great day !
                Last edited by toynbee; 02-02-2011, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

• I was out and about in the east end with a few friends on Monday and Tuesday, taking photos for my next book. Here are a few from that jaunt...

Chandelier and stained glass window inside Christchurch Spitalfields
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	P2014648reduced.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	661666

Victoria Cottages, a small row of old housing surrounded by modern day high rise buildings. Located just off Deal Street to the north of Hanbury Street, it's one of the east end's hidden gems.

Name:	P1314599reduced.jpg
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	661665

Boundary Passage, linking Shoreditch High Street with the site of the Old Nichol.

Name:	P1314563reduced.jpg
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	661663

The view looking towards Liverpool Street and the City from the footbridge near Pedley Street.

Name:	P1314598reduced.jpg
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	661664

All the best
                    Andrew

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Firth View Post
                      I was out and about in the east end with a few friends on Monday and Tuesday...
                      You're in a clique, then? It seems to be all the rage nowadays.

Nice photos, though, old fruit.

Regards,

Mark

Comment

• You found Victoria Cottages then?

Thanks for the tip off.....

When Rob took me down there it was very dark....mussus

Monty
                        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Thanks Mark! You're in one of the photos actually. In the distance though.... Thanks to you, Laura and John for your patience whilst I repeatedly set up my tripod in the freezing cold.

Monty, we also found Albert Cottages across the road from Victoria Cottages, but I think the other members of the clique were wanting to get warm in the White Hart.

All the best
                          Andrew

Comment

• Originally posted by toynbee View Post
                            Apologies if this has already been posted/discussed but am I correct in thinking this photo shows Castle Alley ? if so, does it show the murder spot of Alice McKenzie ?

It shows A school on the right then what I think would be the wash/bath house beyond ? but that building appears to have at least 4-5 levels/floors ?
                            The remains of the building that exists today only has two floors.

It is marked as c1890 too. Does anyone know if a better copy exists ?

Kind regards
                            I don't know if you are aware, Toynbee, but your photos keep being deleted, making it difficult to offer any help!

Comment

• Beautiful shot in ChristChurch Andrew - got it now as my desktop

Comment

• nice photos Andrew to keep us all cozy on these long wintry nights. Popping down myself tomorrow with my first ever digital camera. Do you know if theres a London Job soon?
                                Pete

Comment

Working...
                                X