This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by toynbee View Post
    There was also a large chimney stack close to George Yard that towered above the other buildings, does anyone know when this was built & demolished?
    Yes, Toynbee, that would be the Destructor. Referred to in Parliment March 1887 with a formal letter from Rev Barnett , the vicar of St Jude's complaining about it to the Whitechapel Board of Works. On page 192 of this thread Rob shared some photos of it.

And welcome to the Casebook. For you, here's Toynbee Street -

Click image for larger version

Name:	toynbee_st.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	661522

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy Goose View Post
      Yes, Toynbee, that would be the Destructor. Referred to in Parliment March 1887 with a formal letter from Rev Barnett , the vicar of St Jude's complaining about it to the Whitechapel Board of Works. On page 192 of this thread Rob shared some photos of it.

And welcome to the Casebook. For you, here's Toynbee Street -

[ATTACH]11028[/ATTACH]
      Thank you for that info, so the chimney stack was clearly there in 1888.

The photo of Toynbee street...looks familiar, is it anywhere near Petticoat lane market?

I have a great photo of St Jude's upto the Princess Alice pub from 1892.

Kind regards

Comment

• Was in the area last night - went on a really great tour with Philip Hutchinson - extremely enjoyable and the amount of knowledge he had was just astounding, so much to take in but really great to finally meet him and go on a proper tour!
        I took some shots before the tour and a couple during. (Funnily by Mitre Square we all bumped into Donald Rumbelow giving a tour!).

Great evening!

Still dont know how to insert picture titles between images if Im uploading direct (can you only do that if hosting elsewhere?).
        So in order - they are Christchurch, view from Goulston St, alley of Gunthorpe Street, Gunthorpe St, the space behind the wall in Hanbury St where the murder site wouldve been, Lolesworth Close, Mitre Sq looking towards St.James Passage, and finally a little alley off Whitechapel High Street just before coming to The White Hart pub.
        Attached Files

Comment

• "Still dont know how to insert picture titles between images if Im uploading direct (can you only do that if hosting elsewhere?). "- said Adam Walsh

YAWN YAWN Any quick google search would give the answer to that
          Last edited by Jason; 01-17-2011, 10:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason View Post
            "Still dont know how to insert picture titles between images if Im uploading direct (can you only do that if hosting elsewhere?). "- said Adam Walsh

YAWN YAWN Any quick google search would give the answer to that
            Located Whitechapel yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamWalsh View Post
              Was in the area last night - went on a really great tour with Philip Hutchinson - extremely enjoyable and the amount of knowledge he had was just astounding, so much to take in but really great to finally meet him and go on a proper tour!
              I took some shots before the tour and a couple during. (Funnily by Mitre Square we all bumped into Donald Rumbelow giving a tour!).

Great evening!

Still dont know how to insert picture titles between images if Im uploading direct (can you only do that if hosting elsewhere?).
              So in order - they are Christchurch, view from Goulston St, alley of Gunthorpe Street, Gunthorpe St, the space behind the wall in Hanbury St where the murder site wouldve been, Lolesworth Close, Mitre Sq looking towards St.James Passage, and finally a little alley off Whitechapel High Street just before coming to The White Hart pub.
              Hi Adam,

Great photos ! we are planning a JTR tour in a couple of weeks, looking forward. Will also get to see the 1890 photo of George Yard Buildings! can't wait.
              Kind regards

Comment

• The problem, Adam, appears to be the way in which you are uploading your images. If so, this might help:-

Save the to-be uploaded images to your computer.

On the thread, click ‘Post Reply’.

Click on the paper clip icon (Attachments) and a window will open.

Here, click on the top ‘Browse’ button, locate the first file to be uploaded on your computer, then repeat using the other ‘Browse’ buttons for any subsequent files.

Having loaded your selections, move to the bottom of the window and click the ‘Close this window’ button.

Now return to the ‘Post Reply’ window and again click the paper clip icon. This should generate a drop down containing the file name of each of your selected images. You can either load these individually or all at once. Either way, once selected, the file name(s) should appear in the ‘Post Reply’ window in a list-like format. At this point you can add text anywhere you choose.

Finally, click on the ‘Submit Reply’ button at the bottom of the ‘Post Reply’ window and your images and text will be uploaded on to the thread.

Regards.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamWalsh View Post
                  Located Whitechapel yet?
                  Know the one in Liverpool very well !

Comment

• Destructor Yard

Hi, could someone please tell me if George Yard would be on the left or right side of this photo ? The building seen just to the right of the chimney stack, would that be in George Yard ?

Cheers.
                    Last edited by toynbee; 01-18-2011, 03:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by toynbee View Post

Hi, could someone please tell me if George Yard would be on the left or right side of this photo ? The building seen just to the right of the chimney stack, would that be in George Yard ?

Cheers.
                      Don't bother, I now know.

Kind regards

Comment

• Buck's Row Street Lamps

Buck's Row manipulated to a night view indicating the street lamps.
                        My rough estimate of how the street may have looked at night.
                        The nearest two lights are as per the available street plans.
                        The distant light on the left is an approximation of position according to the same plan.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Hi sgh

I like what you've done there

The lamps look very realistic with a good indication of their lighting capability

I think the nearest lamp on the left should be a few yards further away to match the street plan

It is on the next corner of the pavement pretty much directly opposite the gates

Regards

Nemo

Comment

• Illuminating...
                            I have found this:
                            A 60 watt bulb is the equivalent of 800 candles
                            A standard Victorian gas lamp gave out light at the equivalent of 15 candles when good gas used
                            So 53.333 lamps have same brightness as one 60 watt bulb.
                            If my figures are correct I suggest the light they throw needs to be dimmed down a bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                              Illuminating...
                              I have found this:
                              A 60 watt bulb is the equivalent of 800 candles
                              A standard Victorian gas lamp gave out light at the equivalent of 15 candles when good gas used
                              So 53.333 lamps have same brightness as one 60 watt bulb.
                              If my figures are correct I suggest the light they throw needs to be dimmed down a bit.
                              A bit?!
                              Jeez - 15 candles in the open, that is hardly any light at all.
                              I love what you are doing in these photos SGH - they are so evocative. However, if you take the light down to 15 candles, you may as well paint the picture black and leave it at that! It would be interesting to see the results of that kind of lighting on the photographs. I suspect that it will be pools of very dim light against an almost black background.
                              Last edited by DrHopper; 01-22-2011, 01:25 AM. Reason: giving credit to the right person, SGH.

Comment

• 15 candles. Same as two Bic lighters. Told ya.

Comment

Working...
                                X