Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for posting these Clifford! I find stuff like this fascinating.

I must have walked past that entrance to the churchyard a hundred times, and never knew it was there! Many thanks for enlightening me.

Just goes to show how you can think you know somewhere off by heart, and then be surprised by some hidden (or easily ignorable) entrance or alleyway.

All the best
    Andrew

Comment

• Thanks Cliff!

Hello Clifford, and welcome! This is one of my favorite threads, and it's photographs like your's that keep me coming back. You seem to be blessed with the ability to sniff out little-known -and unknown - spots of interest and the good sense to record them on film. The map was helpful on locating the courtyard, and I particularly appreciate the historical background you include; for instance, I never knew how the Minories got their name. Many thanks for sharing these with us, and I hope we see more from you.

John
      "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
      Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

• Seconded. The last time I was over there, I knew from a guidebook that St Katharine Cree was supposed to have a churchyard, but damned if I could find it.

Comment

• Slightly off-topic maybe but I was watching a news clip about the murdered girl Sally Anne Bowman (killed by Mark Dixie in Croydon, South East London - not 10 minutes from where I live)............anyway I noticed a clip of her during a modelling shoot on Princelet Street. Skip to 1:38 to see her posing on the street for a photographer.....and at 2:17 for one of the photos of her on the street.

In 2005 Bowman was stabbed in the neck and stomach, and then her corpse raped. Mark Dixie was accused and charged with the assault and murder of Bowman. At t...
          Attached Files
          Last edited by AdamWalsh; 08-12-2010, 07:40 PM.

Comment

• I was wondering if anyone could help me in finding some high resolution print quality images of the following. If anyone has these, or suitable alternate versions, it would be a great help if you could email me at robthouse@yahoo.com

Thanks

Rob House
            Attached Files

Comment

• Some more shots Ive come across lately - probably already known by the majority here.

(Also - I was wondering if I am missing something in relation to this thread? It used to be updated with new pics every day or so.......now it lies practically dormant - what gives?).

In order:
              Berner Street
              Brick Lane
              Durward Street
              Millers Court
              Whitechapel High Street
              Liverpool St Station
              Attached Files

Comment

• Hi Adam,

The first one's Hanbury Street, not Berner Street - a slip of the tongue (or its digital equivalent) on your part, I'm sure.

I've always enjoyed your contributions to this thread so, even if things are generally pretty quiet, keep 'em coming, I say.

Regards,

Mark

Comment

• Oops, of course - Hanbury St!

I was up yesterday in Princelet St and took a shot. Strange red front facade - I guess its kept for tourists or photoshoots......the above section looks quite modern........

Also what maybe of note to some is that The Ten Bells is undergoing some major work.......I was in there yesterday for my obligatory £5.50 pint of Leffe and the whole section to the right of the bar (as you walk in) is now cut off - the barman said they are having to put in a fire escape for upstairs and it had to be there.....so the pub seems that touch smaller now - the new wall (temporary at the moment) is now in line with the bar all the way to the window.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• that last photo could be any street in Paris !!

Comment

• From an 1868 map I hadn't seen before.

Berner St. is Upper and Lower Berner St. and Fairclough St. is North St.

Click image for larger version

Name:	upper berner st.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	660754
                      allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Hi Stephen,

Upper and Lower Berner Street were combined and renamed Berner Street on May 1, 1868. The road was again renamed in 1964 as Henriques Street.

Cheers,

Robert

Comment

• Originally posted by RJM View Post
                          Upper and Lower Berner Street were combined and renamed Berner Street on May 1, 1868.
                          Thanks Robert. I hadn't known that.

All the best
                          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamWalsh View Post
                            I was in there yesterday for my obligatory £5.50 pint of Leffe....
                            At those prices, you'd think they could afford to have the exterior repainted.

Comment

• I was in and around the east end over the last couple of days, and thought I'd share some of the pics I took.

Blue plaque marking the site of Aldgate.

Name:	Aldgate Plaque.jpg
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	660765

Breezers Hill where Mary Kelly is said to have once lived.

Name:	Breezers Hill.jpg
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	660766

The Carpenter's Arms on Cheshire Street, where they do a very good pint of beer from the recently relaunched Truman Hanbury & Buxton brewery.

Name:	Carpenters Arms.jpg
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	660767

Imitation gas lamps and horse statues as seen in Frying Pan Alley.

Name:	Frying Pan Alley.jpg
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	660768

Three views taken in Itchy Park, along side Christ Church Spitalfields.

Name:	Itchy Park 1.jpg
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	660769

Name:	Itchy Park 2.jpg
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	660770

Name:	Itchy Park 3.jpg
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	660771

The Pedley Street arch looking south with padlocked gates.

Name:	Pedley Street Arch Padlock.jpg
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	660772

Inside Spitalfields Market at the Wagamama noodle restaurant.

Name:	Spitalfields Market Wagamama.jpg
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	660773

The mortuary building at St George in the East, where the body of Elizabeth Stride was taken.

Name:	St George in the East Mortuary.jpg
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	660774

The renovated and partly rebuilt warehouses on Tenter Ground, just off Whites Row, complete with unsightly skyscraper behind.

Name:	Tenter Ground Warehouses.jpg
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	660775

Restored houses on Wilkes Street at night.

Name:	Wilkes Street Night.jpg
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	660776

All the best
                              Andrew

Comment

• And there I was thinking even you wouldn't manage to make Frying Pan Alley look interesting!

Comment

Working...
                                X