This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Vila View Post
    Here's one that I found while I was going through the JTR photo files on my computer yesterday. This one would have saved loads of argument on an old thread about how MJK's rooms were laid out and how she and Joe reached in through the broken window to unlock their door.

[ATTACH]289[/ATTACH]

This shows the window in question, and a little bit of the doorway...

I've got to hurry up and get that disc of photos in the mail to Spry & Ally. Lyn and I need to pop over to the grocery store tomorrow to pick up some padded envelopes, or perhaps I can do it Sunday on my way to Atlanta to build some bookshelves for an old friend. In any case, the CD of photos should be on its way through the US mails before too long.

Vila
    They are big windows here. I'm suprised that JTR would be balsey enough to perform the horrific things he did to Mary with such large windows where ANYONE could simply look through. I realize there was a coat or a drape over the window, but all anyone would have to do is move it out of the way and look in, just like the guy sent to collect the rent, AND later, the cops.

Comment

• Fantastic photographs.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
        This photo is of writer Emanuel Litvinoff, taken in 1972. This looks very much like the eastern end of Flower and Dean Street (with the former 'White House' on the left).
        [ATTACH]2449[/ATTACH]

JB
        Morcombe and Wise? Ernie looks a little different. New hat?

Comment

• A couple more shots from my evening's wander around Spitalfields at the beginning of the month...

Artillery Passage as seen from outside of the King's Stores, looking east towards the Whites Row car park.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Artillery Passage 0405.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	659461

Another one of Gunthorpe Street, with street lights reflecting on the tiled archway at the southern end. The spire of Christchurch Spitalfields can be seen in the distance.

Name:	Gunthorpe Reflections.jpg
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	659460

All the best
          Andrew

Comment

I took these two yesterday morning (22/5), hadn´t been to Berner/Henriques street since they opened the wall up so I thought I´d grab a couple of shots. Two workers stood behind me to the left when I took the second shot, and they gave me a very suspicious look
            Attached Files

Comment

• Some illustrations from the press, which I've come across.

Dorset Street from 'Lloyds Weekly News', Sunday 2 June 1901

Name:	cbDorset Street from Lloyds Weekly Newspaper Sunday 2 June 1901.jpg
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	659464

This ones been seen before of Dorset Street/Millers Court, from 'The People' Sunday 18 December 1888.

Name:	cbDorset Street from The People Sunday 18 November 1888.jpg
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	659465

Dutfields Yard from 'The People' Sunday 14 October 1888

Name:	cbDutfields Yard, Berner Street from The People Sunday 14 October 1888.jpg
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	659466

Mitre Square from 'The People' Sunday 14 October 1888

Name:	cbMitre Square from The People Sunday 14 October 1888.jpg
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	659467

Gardiners Corner, early 20th Centuary.

Name:	cbWhitechapel High Street, Gardners Corner.jpg
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	659468

Rob

Comment

• just think - in another 100 years people will be using all these photographs we have taken as everything original will no doubt be gone by then..............who knows - they may even have irefutable proof by then! (on that note i read in a new book featuring a chapter on Scotland Yards crime museum that they STILL insist Kosminski was the ripper - with no shred of doubt.........do they know something else we dont??).

Comment

• Great find, Rob. Here's a side by side with the other 1901 drawing

Name:	dorset st 1901.jpg
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	659469 Click image for larger version

Name:	dorset st 1901  2.jpg
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	659470

Same artist? Do you know what prompted these drawings?

And did McCarthy have another shop on Dorset St in 1901?
                  allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Hi Stephen,

The McCarthy shop belonged to Mrs Annie McCarthy and was a Chandlers Shop as well. I don't know if she is related to John McCarthy. The building next door to it nearest to us is number 37 and that was owned by John McCarthy and was another property where he rented out rooms. His wife was in charge of that property. Both drawings were done because the building you see in both of them is 35 Dorset Street and was a Crossinghams Lodging House and it was where Mary Ann Austin was stabbed in May 1901.

Rob

Comment

• In Rothschild Buildings Jerry White says (p. 122) that, about 1900, the lodging house at No. 28 Thrawl St "was kept by Mrs Annie McCarthy, the widow of John McCarthy of 27 Dorset St, who had run lodging houses all over the East End".

Comment

• Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                        In Rothschild Buildings Jerry White says (p. 122) that, about 1900, the lodging house at No. 28 Thrawl St "was kept by Mrs Annie McCarthy, the widow of John McCarthy of 27 Dorset St, who had run lodging houses all over the East End".
                        That's not quite right. John McCarthy's wife was Elizabeth and he was still married to her in 1901. Annie McCarthy was at 36 Dorset Street in 1901 and a widow.

Rob

Comment

• Well, there you go. So much for my faith in Jerry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                            The McCarthy shop belonged to Mrs Annie McCarthy and was a Chandlers Shop as well. I don't know if she is related to John McCarthy. The building next door to it nearest to us is number 37 and that was owned by John McCarthy and was another property where he rented out rooms. His wife was in charge of that property. Both drawings were done because the building you see in both of them is 35 Dorset Street and was a Crossinghams Lodging House and it was where Mary Ann Austin was stabbed in May 1901.
                            Thanks, Rob

Precise and to the point as always.

Stephen
                            allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                              That's not quite right. John McCarthy's wife was Elizabeth and he was still married to her in 1901. Annie McCarthy was at 36 Dorset Street in 1901 and a widow.

Rob
                              Wasn"t Annie previously married to the other John McCarthy ,Rob?

Comment

• It's a bit complicated Norma, in the 1891 Census there's a John McCarthy married to a Mary McCarthy and also a John McCarthy married to an Elizabeth McCarthy. The John and Elizabeth McCarthy are the ones that are there in 1901 so I presume they are the right ones.
                                I'll see if I can find out anything about Annie McCarthy.

Rob

Comment

Working...
                                X