This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep good stuff there Andrew

...taking pics around Spitalfields isn't the easiest I know- been there done it!- but I reckon just go ahead and take'em....and chance the consequences!!!!
    The Brick Lane from Hanbury St has some interesting images too-Ghosties in flip flops!
    Last edited by Suzi; 08-30-2009, 03:35 PM.
    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Fantastic pictures Andrew. You are very gifted. Thank you for continuing to post these excellent pictures. Thanks also to all who those who post photos on this thread. It is the best thread on the whole site.

Comment

• Sure this has been seen before- but checking the Louis Levy, Cigar maker 1881 site- as you do... who lived at 198,Hanbury St -I came across this one of a rather familiar scenario- Obviously in the Mr Brill and the Brylcreem boys era
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Hanbury1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	657543

Anyone got any ideas re dates etc?
        Last edited by Suzi; 08-30-2009, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• Past Traces by Andrew Firth

Thanks to everyone for their kind comments about the photos I've posted. Many of them appear in a book I've had published through the blurb.com publishing service.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PT cover.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	657562

This is now available for purchase at http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/834754 You can also preview the first 15 pages by clicking on the books cover.
          For anyone considering purchasing a copy, please accept my apologies for the price. This is set by blurb.com, and covers the costs of printing the book, and presumably their profit. I myself make no profit from it, I've just done it for the enjoyment of putting my own book together!

It consists of 120 full colour pages, with a softback cover. It should be noted that it is primarily a photo book, with only about 10% approx of the content being text.

A promotional video that I've put together is available for viewing on you tube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL928eXCYlM

All the best
          Andrew

Comment

• It's looking good mate.
            Regards Mike

Comment

• Brilliant vid there!!!! especially liked the Dutfield's Yard piece- hope JPde L may finally be persuaded that this is the right side of the road!!!!
              Last edited by Suzi; 08-30-2009, 05:45 PM.

Comment

• Nah, I reckon JPdL would just say I'd got both the modern and the 1909 shots the wrong way round. Or something....

Shame I didn't include Swallow Gardens on the video. After all, according to JPdL it's on the same site as Berner Street.

All the best
                Andrew

Comment

• Suzi,

That looks almost like a zoomed-in version of the Brylcreem one. It's from the same angle, and the street is wet, but you can't make out the sign very well. Interesting.
                  Last edited by Celesta; 08-30-2009, 05:51 PM.
                  "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• Hi, Andrew; congratulations on your new book.

I enjoyed your YouTube video; the photographic overlay method you use makes it much easier for me to orient myself between the Victorian street views and the contemporary ones.

After watching it, I found myself thinking how cool it would be to have special "Historian's Eyeballs"
                    that would let me see the Past side-by-side with the Present, as in your photographic overlays... it would be even better than X-ray vision!!!

But then I realized it might do this to my eyeballs:

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

• Good news to hear about a book of your terrific photos, Andrew.

Originally posted by Andrew Firth View Post

For anyone considering purchasing a copy, please accept my apologies for the price. This is set by blurb.com, and covers the costs of printing the book, and presumably their profit. I myself make no profit from it, I've just done it for the enjoyment of putting my own book together!
                      I don't think an apology about price is necessary. I already own Louis Berk's Blurb book 'Walk to Work', which is a visual document of his journey from Shoreditch to his school (he's a teacher) in Whitechapel. The photo reproduction quality is superb and if the preview of 'Past Traces' is anything to go by, the same applies here.

I think £16.95 for a book of full-colour quality photography like this is certainly worth it. Best of luck with it Andrew, I shall certainly be getting one.

Regards
                      JB

Comment

• I agree John- a bargain I say- bet it doesn't smell as good as yours tho!!!!....off to amazon me xxx

Comment

• Originally posted by Suzi View Post
                          ..off to amazon me xxx
                          Watch out for them Anaconda's Suzi!

The book and accompanying video look amazing, have this one on my birthday list!
                          Regards Mike

Comment

• Just ordered it sneakily here

Comment

• I think £16.95 for a book of full-colour quality photography like this is certainly worth it. Best of luck with it Andrew, I shall certainly be getting one.
                              Thanks John! In return, can I say that I would have happily paid more than the cover price for your excellent book. A bargain at £9.99!

Many thanks to everyone for your kind comments. Sadly it's not available from Amazon, but blurb.com do accept credit cards et al, just the same.

I should mention that when a copy is ordered, it is then printed up and mailed out; a "bespoke printing" if you like. Therefore copies can take a few weeks to arrive. A friend of mine got his within a week, but I waited closer to three weeks for mine. (Yes, I had to buy my own copy! )

All the best
                              Andrew

Comment

• Originally posted by Suzi View Post
                                Yep good stuff there Andrew

...taking pics around Spitalfields isn't the easiest I know- been there done it!- but I reckon just go ahead and take'em....and chance the consequences!!!!
                                Pardon my (prodigious) ignorance but--what might be the consequences?
                                Is it that one might get mugged for one's camera, or just cat-called, or..? The neighborhood looks in the pictures like any trendy city nighttime type(except beautifully photographed!) to my eyes.
                                Shows what little I know!

Comment

Working...
                                X