This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
    Steward Street, Spitalfields about 1900, junction with Artillery Lane.
    [ATTACH]5447[/ATTACH]
    Hi John

What an interesting photo that is. Next door to 'the worst street in London' and look how smartly dressed those children are. Obviously off on a jolly and waiting for the horse to arrive. The girl in the foreground is a proper little Kate Moss innit, but pity the young chap on the left who has to push that barrow all the way to Middlesex Street. On the poster the 10 Loonies make a welcome return to Casebook and it was a bit scary to find that the headline act Kate Carney was still performing several years into my lifetime.

Can't wait to see your book. Am I still on for a complimentary copy? Every little helps in these hard times dontcha know

Hi B

That quote impressed me greatly too when I read it but I'd totally forgotten it

Many thanks for the reminder.
    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Dear Folks,
      I will be in the Minories on the 13th this month, if anyone fancies a beer and stroll. Ive been out of ripperology a few years and keen to know whats been happening.
      Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by WARSPITE View Post
        I will be in the Minories on the 13th of this month...
        Now where have I heard something very like that phrase before...?
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Thomas Street from 'The People of the Abyss' the building in the background being built is the Kearley & Tonge Warehouse in Durward Street.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Thomas Street c1901cb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	656905

Rob

Comment

• Some screen captures from an episode of 'Minder' the episode is 'What makes Shamy Run?' from 1984

Brick Lane

Name:	Minder Brick Lane.jpg
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	656916

Brushfield Street

Name:	Minder Brushfield street.jpg
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	656917

Hanbury Street

Name:	Minder Hanbury street.jpg
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	656918

Spitalfields Market

Name:	Minder Spitalfields Market.jpg
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	656919

Rob

Comment

• Here are three more photographs

Doveton Street, Home of Charles Cross, looking West, much changed of course

Name:	doveton street irfan.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	656921

Corbets Place off Hanbury Street, workplace of Robert Paul

Name:	corbet place irfan.jpg
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	656922

The London Hospital Whitechapel Road, the wall and fence in the foreground are a matter of feet from the site of Mary Nichols murder site. It brings home how close Nichols murder site is to the London hospital. Remarkable to think that The Elephant Man Joseph Merrick slept in a room at the Lodon Hospital as Mary Nichols met her death.

Name:	london hospital irfan.jpg
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	656923

all the best

Observer
              Last edited by Observer; 05-13-2009, 07:07 PM.

Comment

• Nice different sorts of shots there, Observer.

And fine captures, Rob. Fun to see that Hanbury Street shot being in the right place. 17 years prior and you could have had James Mason as Arthur Daley.

PHILIP
                Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Thanks Philip, here are three more

Dr. Blackwell was the first doctor called to the scene of the Elizabeth Stride murder. Constable 426H had rushed to his offices at 100, Commercial Road to notify him of the discovery. 100 Commercial Road today, same building?

Alice Graves, of 18, St. George-street, Spitalfields, deposed that, having seen the body of the deceased in the mortuary, she identified it as that of a fellow lodger who was known by the name of "Drunken Lizzie." Witness last saw her alive at a quarter to 2 on the morning of Thursday, the 20th ult., when she was walking along the Commercial-road with two men, one on each side of her. She was near the George Tavern and was going towards the City. Witness saw that she was wearing a hat. She could not tell whether the men were sober.
                  By the Jury. - The gas was alight in the window of the George publichouse when she saw the time. From the Rose Mylett inquest

Name:	george tavern irfan 2.jpg
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	656927

68 Brick Lane

Dr. T. R. Killeen, of 68, Brick-lane, said that he was called to the deceased, and found her dead. She had 39 stabs on the body. Conducted Martha Tabram autopsy

Name:	Dr Kileen irfan.jpg
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	656926

all the best

Observer
                  Last edited by Observer; 05-14-2009, 02:25 AM.

Comment

• Bit of a mistake there, here is the Photo of 100 commercial Road Dr Blackwells house

Dr. Blackwell was the first doctor called to the scene of the Elizabeth Stride murder. Constable 426H had rushed to his offices at 100, Commercial Road to notify him of the discovery. 100 Commercial Road today, same building?

Name:	corrected blackwell irfan 2.jpg
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	656928

all the best

Observer

Comment

• Hi Observer.

100 Commercial Road isn't the original building that was there in 1888 unfortunately, it was demolished and replaced with the current one in the past 20 years.

Your photo of 68 Brick Lane is wrong I'm afraid. It's a bit further up the road. It's the GB grambangla building.

Name:	68 Brick Lane.jpg
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	656931

Rob

Comment

• Hi Rob

Oh dear...errr well it was dark when I took the Brick Lane building, and my friend and I must have walked about 15 miles that day before we hit Brick Lane, that's my excuse anyway. Didn't think 100 commercial road was the original building, but is the current b uilding situated on the site of the Blackwell one?

all the best

Observer

Comment

• Originally posted by Observer View Post
                          Hi Rob

Oh dear...errr well it was dark when I took the Brick Lane building, and my friend and I must have walked about 15 miles that day before we hit Brick Lane, that's my excuse anyway. Didn't think 100 commercial road was the original building, but is the current b uilding situated on the site of the Blackwell one?

all the best

Observer
                          I usually use that excuse myself
                          100 Commercial Street is on the same spot.

Regards

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by Observer View Post
                            68 Brick Lane

Dr. T. R. Killeen, of 68, Brick-lane, said that he was called to the deceased, and found her dead. She had 39 stabs on the body. Conducted Martha Tabram autopsy

[ATTACH]5503[/ATTACH]
                            ... best not tell Richard "Thirty-Nine" Nunweek that Timothy Killeen's house is now a bookmaker's!
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• That little drama has been averted Sam I got the wrong building, number 68 is farther up the road.

All the best

Observer

Comment

• Hi again Rob, seeing your photo of 68 Brick Lane got the old grey matter working, and I did take a Photo of 68 Brick Lane Killeens former residence got totally bamboozled by all the Photos I'd taken, nigh on a thousand. The William Hill Building I took in Brick Lane is number 10, trouble is I can't for the life of me remember why I took it, does 10 Brick Lane ring any bells with you?

Here is a photo of Killeens former abode which I took.

Name:	killeen brick corrected irfan 3.jpg
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	656933

all the best

Observer
                                Last edited by Observer; 05-14-2009, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X