Dutfields Yard interior photograph, 1900

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well Done Phil:

Dave and I were thrilled to see the picture of Dutfield's Yard! Finally a photo of the actual site. That was quite a find my friend. Well done, well done.

Highest Regards
    Sandra and Dave Yost
    Honestly Inspector Abberline, it was Joe from down the street I tell ya.

Comment

• Hey Philip

Well, there it is at last. All this fuss over a pic of a bunch of people in silly clothes standing next to a wall...

In all seriousness, it's a hell of a find, as I've said. Well done, and I too look forward to the book and the whole story. Just in time for the UK conference next year, you reckon? Maybe if I start saving now I can get over there and get you to sign me a copy.

Cheers,
      B.

Sleep tight, you deserve a rest!
      Bailey
      Wellington, New Zealand
      hoodoo@xtra.co.nz
      www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsephotographic/

Comment

• Well done Philip, not just for the actual discovery of the pic but for the scholarly research you have undertaken since. I myself have no problems with your name being attached to it, so that in future years it will be known as the Clack Photo. Doh! I mean the Hutchinson Photo.

Comment

• Well done Philip, the photo is fantastic and it is nice to finally see the location. I cannot wait to see the book, and hope you reserve me one, and am interested in what else the lady photographed.

Congrats!
          Regards Mike

Comment

• Just to add my congratulations on this find, and thanks for making the picture available. From a layman's viewpoint, I can't believe there could be any doubt about its authenticity.

If you - or any of your learned collaborators - are open to further requests, it would be wonderful to have a little sketch plan of the yard, with the positions of the people in the photo (and of the body) indicated. I find it difficult to judge quite how far forward the foreground is in relation to the line of the house-fronts. But if you want to save that kind of thing for the book publication, that's understandable.

Comment

• Two cats!!

I Knew it!! Just brilliant!...bet there's more tho'..and after all we've always suspected the killer may just have mingled with the crowd following the discovery of Liz's body!
              Excellent!
              Suz x
              'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• I told you Suzi, that the killer might be purring - sorry - lurking in the photo.

Well done, Philip and Rob, for taking AP's wet wind-ups with dignity. Nobody else has poured even a drip of cold water on this find and the careful research that is still going on to learn more about the photographer.

Hold your head high, Philip, and for pity's sake don't let one insignificant drip spoil this special 24 hours for you.

Love,

Caz
                XXX
                Last edited by caz; 10-15-2008, 12:36 PM.
                "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Flying along with the pack

Well I dont know.I must admit this whole thread now leaves the most ghastly taste as far as I am concerned.It somehow smacks of a "flying pack"-in this case probably a "flying pack of emails" sent by those "in the know"!
                  Sometimes being on here is like watching how a "pack" mentality works-God help any doubters daring raise a question,however jocularly,about---- well anything at all really that doesn"t go with what the pack think is the case.

Comment

• Oh Norma, leave it. Your arguement is akin to questioning grass being green and sky being blue.

You nor AP have asked me any questions about authenticity that can seriously be entertained or answered and you're making yourself look rather silly.

PHILIP
                    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Nats, you should think yourself lucky. I actually have some experience of being up against your own "pack" (of which AP is a fully paid-up member) when it comes to questioning certain claims made concerning an unrelated subject. Almost ten years' worth of experience. AP is merely doing his public self-flagellation routine. He makes it his business not to run with the pack, pretty much regardless of what is being discussed. You can't blame the pack for that.

Love,

Caz
                      X
                      Last edited by caz; 10-15-2008, 02:38 PM.
                      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• So now we all see it and there are still rumblings. How daft.

IT IS A PHOTOGRAPH OF DUTFIELD'S YARD WITH PEOPLE IN IT. AND THAT'S IT.

IT IS NOT MEANT TO BE CONTROVERSIAL. IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BLOW THE LID OFF RIPPEROLOGY. IT IS, HOWEVER A SUPERB FIND.

IT IS A PHOTOGRAPH OF DUTFIELD'S YARD!! AT LONG LAST!!

Comment

• Hi Philip,
                          I knew it was a genuine photo...I questioned your source,and the fact that it was the only copy just because of knowing where it was aquired and the sharks that swim in those waters,and never doubted you for one moment...which I made quite clear in my posts.There again you are a seasoned Ebayer,like me,so I should have realised you would have checked it out thoroughly.I apologise if anything I posted was incorrect.
                          I congratulate you on your find...it is a lovely picture...I must admit to being a little confused,as I can't work out what is where and what I am actually looking at in terms of what door leads where etc.I have seen a sketch of the yard,but thought it lead to a large square area for some reason.Perhaps you could explain the layout..if at all possible...probably just me...I hadn't realised the alleyway up from the gates was so long..personally,I like the lady who is just going into her cottage on the left at the back,who looks down towards the camera.....I'm still trying to find the cats!....and I believe a stable????
                          Anyway,trust me not to be able to locate it all.
                          Warmest wishes,
                          ANNA.x

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                            So now we all see it and there are still rumblings. How daft.

IT IS A PHOTOGRAPH OF DUTFIELD'S YARD WITH PEOPLE IN IT. AND THAT'S IT.

IT IS NOT MEANT TO BE CONTROVERSIAL. IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BLOW THE LID OFF RIPPEROLOGY. IT IS, HOWEVER A SUPERB FIND.

IT IS A PHOTOGRAPH OF DUTFIELD'S YARD!! AT LONG LAST!!
                            You are correct but the way people have been raving about it you would think The tablet containing the ten commandments had been found.
                            i am not suggesting its not Dutfield yard but it looks more of an alley than a yard.
                            As another poster previously suggested it is only the scene of a "Whitechapel murder". But the photo has caused what can only be described as a "feeding frenzy" amongst some of the posters on here.

Comment

• Fa-bu-lous!
                              Is it only going to be up for 24 hours like was stated before?
                              I was taken aback by how narrow it is. The yard, I mean. Not the minds of the naysayers.
                              Thank you for sharing this with us, you didn't have to, but you did. You rock!

Comment

• HI Trevor,
                                We always like to congratulate one another when we do or find something.
                                It's what friends,especially Ripperologists, do!
                                I was the poster who pointed out that it was sold with the title "Scene of a Whitechapel Murder",two reasons...one,I personally would have sold it as a JTR murder scene...and secondly,I was not actually questioning it's authenticity,nor our Philip..who is a very highly respected member of the boards....I was questioning the site he bought it from,the fact that the chap knew it was a Ripper photo,and yet sold it at a snip....what I should have reaslised was that chaps who know about these things confirmed it to be a genuine article.And I respect that.
                                By the way,this is a picture of one of the murder sites that we haven't seen before...what do you expect????
                                ANNA,

Comment

Working...
                                X