Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Andrews, Tumblety, & the British News

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Andrews, Tumblety, & the British News

    ...so, if you want a break from the Aberconway stuff, check this out.

    Eastern Morning News, January 2nd, 1889

    THE WHITECHAPEL TRAGEDIES.
    SEARCH IN AMERICA.

    Inspector Andrews of Scotland Yard [according to a] Daily Telegraph’s correspondent says he has arrived in New York from Montreal. It is generally believed that he has received orders from England to commence his search in this city for the Whitechapel murderer. Mr. Andrews is reported to have said that there are half a dozen English detectives, two clerks, and one inspector employed in America in the same chase. Ten days ago Andrews brought hither from England Roland Gideon Israel Barnett, charged with helping to wreck the Central Bank, Toronto; and since his arrival he has received orders which will keep him in America for some time. The supposed inaction of the Whitechapel murderer for a considerable period, and the fact that a man suspect of knowing a good deal about this series of crimes left England for this side of the Atlantic three weeks ago, has produced the impression that “Jack the Ripper” is in America. Irish Nationalists pretend that the inspector is hunting up certain evidence to be given before the Parnell Commission. (source: Mike Covell)

    It seems the Eastern Morning News reporter received incorrect information from the Daily Telegraph correspondent about Andrews making a visit into New York City, but notice the rest of the information is correct, such as Andrews being in Canada, his travel itinerary from England, escorting Barnet, the history of Barnett, and that Tumblety left three weeks ago. This initial comment may have overshadowed some important information about the general beliefs at the time in reference to Andrews and Tumblety.


    1. Apparently the British newspapers were not completely silent about Tumblety, but of course they did not mention his name. Curious, though, why the Eastern Morning News opted not to state his name since by this time everyone knew Tumblety was the suspect.

    2. “It is generally believed that he has received orders from England to commence his search in this city for the Whitechapel murderer.”
    a. The British reporter stated, “It is generally believed…” Notice the reporter did not say, “Certain American newspapers claim…” Does generally not mean generally? If true, then on January 2, 1889, the general assumption of those in England and probably North America is that Andrews traveled across the Atlantic to escort Barnett, but then got orders to stay and search for JTR.
    b. A British source conforms to the statement of Detective Sergeant Walter Dew in H-Division that Andrews was involved with the Whitechapel murders.

    3. “Irish Nationalists pretend that the inspector is hunting up certain evidence to be given before the Parnell Commission”. Well, this British source did not buy into the Parnell conspiracy.

    4. It's interesting also to see why this source claims the reason for Tumblety's suspect status: 1) The murders stopped once he left, and 2) He had a great deal of knowledge of the murders.

    Sincerely,

    Mike
    Last edited by mklhawley; 11-30-2010, 05:56 PM.
    The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
    http://www.michaelLhawley.com

  • #2
    Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
    ...so, if you want a break from the Aberconway stuff, check this out.

    Eastern Morning News, January 2nd, 1889

    THE WHITECHAPEL TRAGEDIES.
    SEARCH IN AMERICA.

    Inspector Andrews of Scotland Yard [according to a] Daily Telegraph’s correspondent says he has arrived in New York from Montreal. It is generally believed that he has received orders from England to commence his search in this city for the Whitechapel murderer. Mr. Andrews is reported to have said that there are half a dozen English detectives, two clerks, and one inspector employed in America in the same chase. Ten days ago Andrews brought hither from England Roland Gideon Israel Barnett, charged with helping to wreck the Central Bank, Toronto; and since his arrival he has received orders which will keep him in America for some time. The supposed inaction of the Whitechapel murderer for a considerable period, and the fact that a man suspect of knowing a good deal about this series of crimes left England for this side of the Atlantic three weeks ago, has produced the impression that “Jack the Ripper” is in America. Irish Nationalists pretend that the inspector is hunting up certain evidence to be given before the Parnell Commission. (source: Mike Covell)

    It seems the Eastern Morning News reporter received incorrect information from the Daily Telegraph correspondent about Andrews making a visit into New York City, but notice the rest of the information is correct, such as Andrews being in Canada, his travel itinerary from England, escorting Barnet, the history of Barnett, and that Tumblety left three weeks ago. This initial comment may have overshadowed some important information about the general beliefs at the time in reference to Andrews and Tumblety.


    1. Apparently the British newspapers were not completely silent about Tumblety, but of course they did not mention his name. Curious, though, why the Eastern Morning News opted not to state his name since by this time everyone knew Tumblety was the suspect.

    2. “It is generally believed that he has received orders from England to commence his search in this city for the Whitechapel murderer.”
    a. The British reporter stated, “It is generally believed…” Notice the reporter did not say, “Certain American newspapers claim…” Does generally not mean generally? If true, then on January 2, 1889, the general assumption of those in England and probably North America is that Andrews traveled across the Atlantic to escort Barnett, but then got orders to stay and search for JTR.
    b. A British source conforms to the statement of Detective Sergeant Walter Dew in H-Division that Andrews was involved with the Whitechapel murders.

    3. “Irish Nationalists pretend that the inspector is hunting up certain evidence to be given before the Parnell Commission”. Well, this British source did not buy into the Parnell conspiracy.

    4. It's interesting also to see why this source claims the reason for Tumblety's suspect status: 1) The murders stopped once he left, and 2) He had a great deal of knowledge of the murders.

    Sincerely,

    Mike
    Hi Mike
    Good post.

    The supposed inaction of the Whitechapel murderer for a considerable period, and the fact that a man suspect of knowing a good deal about this series of crimes left England for this side of the Atlantic three weeks ago, has produced the impression that “Jack the Ripper” is in America.


    Is there a typo in this- "..a man supect of knowing..."? Should that be ".. a man suspected of knowing.." ? Or am I reading it wrong?

    Anyway, that is the first time i have heard that part of the suspicion against Dr. T was that he had alot of knowledge of the crimes. Interesting.
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

    -Edgar Allan Poe


    "...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

    -Frederick G. Abberline

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi Abby Normal,

      "suspected" is correct. It's lousy transcribing by me.


      Mike
      The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
      http://www.michaelLhawley.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Mike.

        … Keep in mind also that this article came BEFORE the Colonel Dunham interview, thus, not influenced by Dunham’s article as you previously and incorrectly claimed.
        Still waiting for your explanation of this.

        Wolf.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Wolf Vanderlinden View Post
          Mike.



          Still waiting for your explanation of this.

          Wolf.
          Of course you are waiting, because it's important to you.

          Mike
          The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
          http://www.michaelLhawley.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi Mike,

            Is the Daily Telegraph correspondent cited in your press cutting the same person quoted in the Dundee Courier & Argus, 4th December 1888?

            It makes a difference.

            Regards,

            Simon

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
              Hi Mike,

              Is the Daily Telegraph correspondent cited in your press cutting the same person quoted in the Dundee Courier & Argus, 4th December 1888?

              It makes a difference.

              Regards,

              Simon

              Hi Simon,

              I am not sure. This corresponent was wrong on the New York issue. Do you see the same pattern in the Dundee Courier & Argus article?

              Mike
              The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
              http://www.michaelLhawley.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Hi Mike,

                It's simply that the source of the Dundee Courier and Argus report was the Daily Telegraph's New York correspondent.

                Regards,

                Simon

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hi Mike.

                  Of course you are waiting, because it's important to you.
                  I would have thought that it was actually important to you. For somebody who has written a book called "Searching for the Truth With a Broken Flashlight" you don't seem to understand exactly what the word "truth" means. "Fabrication," yes. "Lying," apparently so.

                  Wolf.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Ugh. Right, moving on.
                    I confess that altruistic and cynically selfish talk seem to me about equally unreal. With all humility, I think 'whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might,' infinitely more important than the vain attempt to love one's neighbour as one's self. If you want to hit a bird on the wing you must have all your will in focus, you must not be thinking about yourself, and equally, you must not be thinking about your neighbour; you must be living with your eye on that bird. Every achievement is a bird on the wing.
                    Oliver Wendell Holmes

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Wolf Vanderlinden View Post
                      Hi Mike.



                      I would have thought that it was actually important to you. For somebody who has written a book called "Searching for the Truth With a Broken Flashlight" you don't seem to understand exactly what the word "truth" means. "Fabrication," yes. "Lying," apparently so.

                      Wolf.
                      Hi Wolf,

                      Oh, truth is everything. Do I fabricate or lie? No. Do I make mistakes? Absolutely, just like the mistake Stewart caught you on. What my book focuses more upon is denial. Hmmm. I actually did plan on posting your concern, but not on this thread.

                      Mike
                      The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
                      http://www.michaelLhawley.com

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X