Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
    [ATTACH]16144[/ATTACH]

Is anyone able to help with this? I have always taken it that Abberline had an unruly curl of hair to the left side of his forehead but am now unsure as to whether this is the case. Is it hair or a mark/shadow on the wall behind? (The uncertainty is caused by "Mrs Bridewell" who is of the opinion that it's not hair!).
    I think we can bank on the artist having used artistic license to leave the ufo out of the picture if it was not Abberline´s hair. Apart from representing an unruly curl of hair, it could only serve as an irritation if it was NOT hair.

You can tell Mrs Bridewell from me that she is wrong. If you want to take it as far as to say that you are thus right, is something you must decide for yourself. You presumably know Mrs Bridewell better than I do.

the best,
    Fisherman

Comment

Hi Bridewell,

I think your wife is right. It's a late Victorian 'fascinator'. Only men wore them then. The current fashion of using them for women's headgear is relatively new.

Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
        I think we can bank on the artist having used artistic license to leave the ufo out of the picture if it was not Abberline´s hair. Apart from representing an unruly curl of hair, it could only serve as an irritation if it was NOT hair.

You can tell Mrs Bridewell from me that she is wrong. If you want to take it as far as to say that you are thus right, is something you must decide for yourself. You presumably know Mrs Bridewell better than I do.

the best,
        Fisherman
        Many thanks. Her thinking was that, as you can see the outline of his head across that section, it couldn't be hair but, as you say, there would be no point in including in a drawing it if it had no relevance.

I may tell her that I'm right but will need to take a brave pill first.
        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Carol View Post
          Hi Bridewell,

I think your wife is right. It's a late Victorian 'fascinator'. Only men wore them then. The current fashion of using them for women's headgear is relatively new.

Carol
          Thank you for that. I must buy one myself before they go out of fashion.
          I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
            Many thanks. Her thinking was that, as you can see the outline of his head across that section, it couldn't be hair but, as you say, there would be no point in including in a drawing it if it had no relevance.

I may tell her that I'm right but will need to take a brave pill first.
            Its his hair Colin.

Don't ask how I know...yet.

Monty
            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

If that is his hair then that is a shoddy artist....or a ridiculous style. Abberline sporting a poodle cut?

Comment

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
                If that is his hair then that is a shoddy artist....or a ridiculous style. Abberline sporting a poodle cut?
                And if it's not his hair the artist should be shot for extending the shadow that way, it's as bad as a photographer having a tree growing out of a subjects head.

Personally I think it has to be one or the other hair or a continuation of the shadow.
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                  And if it's not his hair the artist should be shot for extending the shadow that way, it's as bad as a photographer having a tree growing out of a subjects head.

Personally I think it has to be one or the other hair or a continuation of the shadow.
                  Hello GUT,

I just see a continuation of the top of his head and some squiggle above it..unconnected as well. But.. there you go I suppose. If Monty says he has the proof.. we will all just have to wait and see..Because the only way to know for sure is a real bona fida photo of the man. Which may well be Monty's little diamond in his book coming out later this year. If so, well, all well and good! :-)

Phil
                  Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                  Accountability? ....

Comment

Monty says nothing of the sort.

Monty
                    Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                      Monty says nothing of the sort.

Monty
                      Hello Monty,

That's fine, I wasn't assuming.. just suggesting because of the statement that you knew it was HIS hair, but could not say.

Unless you meant that you knew it was a quiff but could not say, without meaning to imply that it was specifically Abberline's hair you were referring to.

Easy to misunderstand. Apologies if so. :-)

Phil
                      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Actually Phil,

Upon re-reading, I can see why you thought that. So it would be unjust of me not to concede your point and apologise.

Monty
                        Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                          Actually Phil,

Upon re-reading, I can see why you thought that. So it would be unjust of me not to concede your point and apologise.

Monty
                          No offence even considered nor taken Monty. All square here :-)

Phil
                          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

How about this chap?

This was taken I beleive when Queen Victoria awarded police a medal, not sure of date.
                            He could have put on a lot of weight??

Pat.........
                            Attached Files

Comment

Can't be Abberline. It is a City of London Police photograph from 1887. I would like to know who he is though as I have another photo with him in it.

Rob

Comment

Erased
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Simon Wood; 08-28-2014, 01:20 PM. Reason: Problems
                                Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Working...
                                X