X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John G
    replied
    Originally posted by c.d. View Post
    That is hitting the nail on the head, John. I simply don't understand this manic attempt to fit a square peg in a round hole. Suppose we find the word juwes in some ancient Sanskrit text. Great find but what does it actually tell us? We have absolutely no way to know if it somehow relates to what Jack intended to convey (and that is assuming that he wrote the damn thing.)

Much ado about nothing. Mr. Occam's razor has been so dulled on this whole juwes thing that it can no longer cut a thing.

c.d.
    Thanks c.d. It never ceases to amaze me how some people reject the obvious, or the orthodox view, in favour of their own extreme theories.

Simon Wood, for instance, believes five different killers were responsible for the C5. However, his alternative explanation is that Chapman was killed by an army officer, disguised as the pensioner Ted Stanley and, from what I can make out, the other murders occurred as the result of some grand conspiracy which he doesn't really understand, but it must have happened because of inconsistencies in the evidence!

I mean, how on earth is that a more plausible explanation?

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied
    Originally posted by John G View Post
    Well, it's theoretically possible the the author was an expert on medieval literature-maybe he was an English literature professor. On the other hand, maybe he just got the spelling wrong.

And I know what I think is far and away the most likely explanation!
    That is hitting the nail on the head, John. I simply don't understand this manic attempt to fit a square peg in a round hole. Suppose we find the word juwes in some ancient Sanskrit text. Great find but what does it actually tell us? We have absolutely no way to know if it somehow relates to what Jack intended to convey (and that is assuming that he wrote the damn thing.)

Much ado about nothing. Mr. Occam's razor has been so dulled on this whole juwes thing that it can no longer cut a thing.

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• John G
    replied
    Well, it's theoretically possible the the author was an expert on medieval literature-maybe he was an English literature professor. On the other hand, maybe he just got the spelling wrong.

And I know what I think is far and away the most likely explanation!

Leave a comment:

• DJA
    replied
    Probably should have posted this here in the first place due to context.
    Thought it polite to reply to Bill's work instead.
    Trust this is not taken as a cross post.
    My apology,if it is.

Worth a good read.

Especially William Morris's involvement with The International Working Men's Club at 40 Berner Street late September 1888,given his busy schedule.

Seems our Jack was well read.

Anyone else read Henry Gawen Sutton's obituary?

Juwes still turns up today as peoples names in Brazil and Ecuador.

Leave a comment:

• Harry D
    replied
    Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
    I just sent her a message, maybe shell respond.
    She had a lot of original ideas and knew a lot about psychology/mental illness/deviant behavior etc.

hopefully she responds.
    I PM'ed Errata months ago when she first fell off the radar. Never heard back from her but I won't take it personally.

Leave a comment:

• Sam Flynn
    replied
    Originally posted by Varqm View Post
    How possible was it that the GSG writer was innocent and did not want to get involved like Pipeman or Joe Fleming or an immigrant who did not want to get into "trouble"?
    Then why would they write the graffiti? Better off just staying quiet.

Leave a comment:

• Varqm
    replied
    How possible was it that the GSG writer was innocent and did not want to get involved like Pipeman or Joe Fleming or an immigrant who did not want to get into "trouble"?

Leave a comment:

• Sam Flynn
    replied
    Originally posted by kjab3112 View Post
    Just noted the (presumed typo) spelling Juews. In German, Jew is spelt Jüde, which transliterates to Juede, wonder if there's an alternative of Jüwe?
    Don't think so, Paul, although it's an interesting idea.

Unless... a German Juventus supporter?

Leave a comment:

• kjab3112
    replied
    I have found the modern Catalan (using wiki) of jueus. Couldn't find anything closer playing with Google translate (most have the d of Yahudi kept)
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• kjab3112
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    A mid-reading is always a possibility of course. You would have thought though with the number of people seeing it you would get a reasonable consensus. The point doesn't alter if it was written juews. Something about the spelling appeared to draw attention? Maybe?
    Just noted the (presumed typo) spelling Juews. In German, Jew is spelt Jüde, which transliterates to Juede, wonder if there's an alternative of Jüwe?

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    Originally posted by c.d. View Post
    Yes, I miss Errata and so many others who no longer post. Hope they are all alive and well and will return to Casebook some day.

c.d.
    I just sent her a message, maybe shell respond.
    She had a lot of original ideas and knew a lot about psychology/mental illness/deviant behavior etc.

hopefully she responds.

Leave a comment:

• Joshua Rogan
    replied
    Originally posted by FrankO View Post
    See my post #56 for that reference, Joshua.

All the best,
    Frank
    Many thanks, and apologies for missing it the first time!

Leave a comment:

• FrankO
    replied
    Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
    I'm sure I've heard tell that it might have been rubbed out by the shoulders of passers-by if it had been there long, but can't find that reference at the moment.
    See my post #56 for that reference, Joshua.

All the best,
    Frank

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied
    Yes, I miss Errata and so many others who no longer post. Hope they are all alive and well and will return to Casebook some day.

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• jerryd
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
    Now where have I heard that theory before?
    If you are talking about the Old Castle Street Board School, Scott; I posted the same information on the JTR forums in a thread on Castle Alley.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X