Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Real, prank, or other?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
    What doesn't ring true to me is the offer to send the tool of his trade to Lusk.
    That just doesn't sound to me like what a real killer would do.
    A hoaxer might write that for shock value, but wouldn't a killer be more attached to his tool of choice?
    But of course, certainly as far as we know, he never sent it, so just shock value as was the kidne.
    G U T

    There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
      What doesn't ring true to me is the offer to send the tool of his trade to Lusk.
      That just doesn't sound to me like what a real killer would do.
      A hoaxer might write that for shock value, but wouldn't a killer be more attached to his tool of choice?
      Perhaps. Either way it's only a letter.

      I don't see why a killer would have to follow through in order for it to be genuine. Dishonesty probably wasn't a concern. The "threat" may have been more than enough.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Wyatt Earp View Post
        I can see a couple of problems with this. First of all, if you’re going to mail out your prized Eddowes kidney, do you really want to rely on Joe from the pub, with a foreign accent no less, to get you the right address? Second, once the news broke about the letter and the kidney, Joe from the pub could start scratching his chin and putting two and two together, and he could end up putting the police onto your scent. If nothing else, he might be able to give them a very good description of you. If I’m Jack, I don’t think I’d want to involve any strangers in this caper. This would be a job for one of my buddies.



        What would have been the big deal about sending a man who was six feet tall to get an address for you?



        Why would a man with an Irish accent effect an Irish accent in the letter? Wouldn’t he just spell (or misspell) the words normally?
        Hello Wyatt

        Very good point. However, I think it is now agreed that the writer actually wrote "Sir" - it's just very sloppy (or disturbed) handwriting.

        Best wishes
        C4

        Comment


        • #34
          I'm with GUT on this... I kind of lean towards real.. however I have always thought it was something Lusk may have done himself... and the reason... to make himself appear to be more important than he really was... if the press would write that the killer was taunting Lusk instead of the Police...that makes Lusk look BIGGER AND MORE IMPORTANT than the police, ya know that old.... who needs the coppers when we the vigilance committee will protect you folks.....


          just a thought.... but again.. I kinda think it's real


          Steadmund Brand


          P.S hey GUT don't let this go to your head hahahah --- Go Lions!!!
          "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
            I'm with GUT on this... I kind of lean towards real.. however I have always thought it was something Lusk may have done himself... and the reason... to make himself appear to be more important than he really was... if the press would write that the killer was taunting Lusk instead of the Police...that makes Lusk look BIGGER AND MORE IMPORTANT than the police, ya know that old.... who needs the coppers when we the vigilance committee will protect you folks.....


            just a thought.... but again.. I kinda think it's real


            Steadmund Brand


            P.S hey GUT don't let this go to your head hahahah --- Go Lions!!!
            Mr Lusk did wait two days before going to the police which I find strange unless he knew who had sent it .call me old fashioned but if I received a parcel containing a human kidney sent by a deranged killer who knew my address I wouldn't wait two days as the chairman and life president of the cowards society I would open my front door and run and keep running till I reached the nearest police station.
            Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

            Comment


            • #36
              I agree with some of the other posters. If it was a hoax why no trademark signature? Also it's too coincidental that a kidney was sent and Eddowe's was missing. I can't remember weather the papers published detailed info about the mutilations before the letter was sent to Lusk. But I don't think there was mention in the inquest papers.

              What about Albert Bachert, could he have sent it to Lusk?

              I think also that Lusk would be less inclined to go to the police, as he after all was trying to play some sort of investigative role by trying to catch the ripper himself.
              Last edited by Natasha; 06-03-2015, 02:59 PM.

              Comment


              • #37
                I always thought Lusk regarded the letter and kidney as a horrible practical joke. However, he must have been in two minds about it as he locked both in his desk instead of throwing them away and mentioned them to members of the Vigilance Committee the next day.

                Maybe Lusk was regarded as a bit of a tiresome nuisance by the police at the time (wasn't this around the time that he requested police protection because he was convinced that a bearded man was watching his house) and so he was hesitant to show them the exhibits?

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by curious4 View Post
                  Hello Wyatt

                  Very good point. However, I think it is now agreed that the writer actually wrote "Sir" - it's just very sloppy (or disturbed) handwriting.

                  Best wishes
                  C4
                  No, I think it’s “Sor.” All of the lower-case i’s in the letter are accompanied by an i-dot. Besides, there are other Irishisms in the letter.
                  Last edited by Wyatt Earp; 06-04-2015, 03:31 AM.
                  “When a major serial killer case is finally solved and all the paperwork completed, police are sometimes amazed at how obvious the killer was and how they were unable to see what was right before their noses.” —Robert D. Keppel and William J. Birnes, The Psychology of Serial Killer Investigations

                  William Bury, Victorian Murderer
                  http://www.williambury.org

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Genuine and I believe they key is finding the connection between Lusk and the whitehall building.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Wyatt Earp View Post
                      No, I think it’s “Sor.” All of the lower-case i’s in the letter are accompanied by an i-dot. Besides, there are other Irishisms in the letter.
                      yup-and it seems that the writer was drunk when writing. hes even slurring his words-"Mishter Lusk". HAHA ; )
                      "Is all that we see or seem
                      but a dream within a dream?"

                      -Edgar Allan Poe


                      "...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

                      -Frederick G. Abberline

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                        yup-and it seems that the writer was drunk when writing. hes even slurring his words-"Mishter Lusk". HAHA ; )
                        I've always wondered why an 'h' was inserted into 'Mister' and why the 'e' was omitted from 'knife'. Why would someone know about the silent 'k' but not that the word ended in 'e'?

                        Is there, I wonder, a specific mental disorder wherein the sufferer frequently omits the final letter of some written words?

                        If any letter is genuine it's this one.
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins twisting facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (as Sherlock Holmes).

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          In the study 'Cockney past and present' by William Matthews it's stated that in Cockney speech 'er' was commonly pronounced as 'ar' in the 19th century and that 'sh' was widely substituted for 's'. Whoever the writer was, he'd gone to school in the British Isles because this letter, rough though it is, is set out in the English copybook style taught in British schools, Ireland as well. Also the 'Mr' above the line is seen in most English letters of the 18th and 19th centuries.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            We may have been sidetracked here, in thinking the writer was Irish. What if the writer was just taking the mickey out of Lusk, because Lusk was Irish?

                            Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
                            Genuine and I believe they key is finding the connection between Lusk and the whitehall building.
                            The only thing I can think is that perhaps Lusk was somehow part of the Fenian group and was partly responsible for the 1883 Whitehall bomb. Long stretch I know. Just an idea.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              I thought both George and his wife were born in Stepney?

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                                I thought both George and his wife were born in Stepney?
                                Hi Rosella,

                                I should have been a bit clearer, I meant he was of Irish ancestry. So if I'm right that the autour of the letter was taking the p by using Irishisms, and was the killer of Eddowes, then he most defo knew Lusk and his history. Could that mean by researching Lusk a bit more, we can find out more about the killer? I wonder

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X