X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Baron
    replied
    Originally posted by The Rookie Detective View Post

I believe the Dear Boss, Saucy Jack & the From Hell letters to be authentic.
    This is the greatest problem.

I am not sure if anyone on this board believes all those three letters were written by the Whitechapel murderer.

The Baron

Leave a comment:

• barnflatwyngarde
    replied
    Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

lol. I have a sneaking suspicion..
    Oh No!

Surely not!

Leave a comment:

• Kattrup
    replied
    Go for it, Rookie D.

I believe it’s extremely unlikely that the letters contain any kind of coded messages. But I look forward to your presentation.

I don’t believe From Hell was from JtR, but I do believe the Dear Boss, Saucy Jack and Moab and Midian letters were.

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrick S View Post

DOs:

1. DO post your findings.
    2. DO post your findings as quickly as possible after announcing that you'll be posting your findings... lest you be compared to one "Pierre" who announced with a flourish, "I think I have found him"... and then, well, and then...
    3. DO be firm in your convictions if you think you're right.
    4. DO be prepared to admit error when you think you're wrong.

DONT'S:

1. DON'T be discouraged when others disagree. EVERYONE disagrees about almost EVERYTHING.
    2. DON'T take disagreement personally.
    2. DON'T forget that we're all here because we share a common interest and passion.
    lol. I have a sneaking suspicion..

Leave a comment:

• Ginger
    replied
    If the idea that people might regard you as an amiable lunatic is a daunting one to you, then you may have chosen the wrong hobby.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick S
    replied

As i have only been on this site for about a week, are there any tips for Do's and Don't BEFORE i post my findings?!

Thoughts Please?!

DOs:

1. DO post your findings.
    2. DO post your findings as quickly as possible after announcing that you'll be posting your findings... lest you be compared to one "Pierre" who announced with a flourish, "I think I have found him"... and then, well, and then...
    3. DO be firm in your convictions if you think you're right.
    4. DO be prepared to admit error when you think you're wrong.

DONT'S:

1. DON'T be discouraged when others disagree. EVERYONE disagrees about almost EVERYTHING.
    2. DON'T take disagreement personally.
    2. DON'T forget that we're all here because we share a common interest and passion.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Go for it Rookie. We might all disagree with you, we might all agree with you or some might agree and some might disagree but we know that you’re giving an honest opinion.

And you can be safe in the knowledge that none of us know where you live

Leave a comment:

• Harry D
    replied
    'From Hell' is generally considered to be the most authentic of the Ripper communications, if any, because it contained a piece of physical evidence (a kidney) and ironically because it wasn't signed 'Jack the Ripper'. Personally, I'm unconvinced. As head of the vigilance committee, Lusk had become a target for harassment. It was more than just the Ripper who wanted to put the willies up him. Procuring a human kidney would not have been impossible, although it's worth noting that a pig kidney is anatomically similar to a human one. Anyway, we'll never know for certain will we? It's another one of those great unknowns, like the GSG, Stride, etc.

Feel free to post your theory, TRD. We welcome it! Just be prepared for it to be scrutinised, and don't take it personally.

Leave a comment:

• richardnunweek
    replied
    Hi,
    Casebook members tend to have a dim view of ''so called clues'' e.g Numerology..It is possible to see all kinds of clues scattered among the correspondence , but are we seeing what was intended to be there.?
    But please give us your thoughts , if we don't research different avenues, we only retread over familiar ground.
    Regards Richard.

Leave a comment:

• bolo
    replied
    Hi GUT, The Rookie Detective, all,

Originally posted by GUT View Post
    The first thing, for me, you’ll need to do is convince me that jack wrote them
    my thoughts as well. Even though I try to keep an open mind about the letters, I don't believe that any of them are genuine, that's why I take theories based on them with more than just a grain of salt, a whole bucketload of it to be precise.

The letters form an integral part of the mythos and cast a light on how normal people all over the world felt "inspired" by the murders and the hysteria around them. They are interesting artifacts of the psycho-social aspects of the case and should be valued as such but not taken as evidence in my opinion.

Grüße,

Boris

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    The first thing, for me, you’ll need to do is convince me that jack wrote them

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied
    Hello R.D.,

Feel free to post but also be prepared to defend your position. To my knowledge, nobody else has talked about hidden clues in the letters. You should be aware however that Anderson stated years after the murders ended that Scotland Yard was pretty sure that the first two letters were written by a newspaper editor to increase sales of the paper. The police didn't want to say so publicly for fear of becoming embroiled in a libel suit. Does that mean that Jack could not have written the letters? No. Take it for what you think it is worth.

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• barnflatwyngarde
    replied
    Yeah, go for it

All contributions are welcome, and if, after perusing the replies and counter arguments to your post, you still think that you are right, stand by it.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Sam Flynn
    replied
    As i have only been on this site for about a week, are there any tips for Do's and Don't BEFORE i post my findings?!
    No tips, RD. Feel free to post.

Leave a comment:

• The Rookie Detective
    started a topic From Hell Letter DECODED

From Hell Letter DECODED

Hi ALL..

I have been analyzing the "From Hell" letter and believe i have decoded a hidden message.

I have run with the assumption that the letter is authentic as i believed it contains clues and hints which are there for us to solve.

I believe the Dear Boss, Saucy Jack & the From Hell letters to be authentic.

I've never been happy accepting that JTR would suddenly become illiterate from the Dear Boss Letter to the From Hell letter; misspelling key words, letters missing from owrds...it has never made sense to me.

There HAD to be a reason for this.

I've also never believed JTR to have been Insane on Psychotic; rather a cold calculated psychopath who "played" his part well to put the police off the scent and focus on ridiculous suspects instead.

I am confident that i have just discovered something new.

BUT if anyone is aware of ANY OTHER clues which have ALREADY been decoded, then PLEASE can you enlighten me BEFORE i commit to posting my findings?

The main reason is because i don't want to appear foolish if someone else has already discovered the hidden message in the From Hell letter?

My discovery doesn't indicate a particular suspect, but it does signify that if it was written by JTR, then he was seemingly much more clever than anticipated.

Thoughts Please?!

The Rookie Detective

Working...
X